SGT Abusing power

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 09:48 pm
I know someone that is a SPC in the Army and he has a 1st SGT that really dislikes him for really no reason. He is always talking bad about him in front of all the other soldiers calling him names and he has even gone so far as to tell him that he is going to screw him or even worse get him kicked out no matter what it takes. He is always doing stuff to try to get my friend to mess up. My friend has a wife and two kids to support. They are about to deploy and I am worried that the 1st SGT is going to do something to get my friend hurt. Is he abusing his power? If so is there anything my friend can do about it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 722 • Replies: 2
No top replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 10:50 pm
@smcdermitt13,
I doubt that you have the story right, as 1sg's don't directly supervise soldiers. Most likely it is a platoon Sargent that is the problem. In any case, if a 1sg is going after a soldier there are in place the platoon Sargent (Sargent or staff Sargent), the platoon leader (lieutenant), probably some Warrant Officers, the company XO, and the company commander(Captain) whom all have a responsibility to fix the problem. If that does not work the soldier should speak with the Chaplin. If that does not work the soldier should see if the Sargent Major has a open door policy. If that does not work them the soldier should file a complaint with the IG (inspector General).
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 10:20 am
I agree with Hawkeye about everything he said generally. In my experience, even though a couple of times I've found myself at the mercy of an NCO who obviously disliked me and let it show in unequal treatment, usually you can find some avenue through which to have concerns heard about an unfair leader. If the person in question is in one of those units where abuse of junior enlisted is sort of part of the culture, it could be that there awaits a long road ahead of him.
0 Replies