Jet Flyover in Manhatten Causes Panic

mismi

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 07:01 pm
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jQCKDUYswf9K9lMjX4oxtDxHVqXQD97R45D80

Quote:
Jet flyover in lower Manhattan sets off panic
By ULA ILNYTZKY and SARA KUGLER " 1 hour ago

NEW YORK (AP) " An airliner and supersonic fighter jet zoomed past the lower Manhattan skyline in a flash just as the work day was beginning Monday. Within minutes, startled financial workers streamed out of their offices, fearing a nightmarish replay of Sept. 11.

For a half-hour, the Boeing 747 and F-16 jet circled the Statue of Liberty and the lower Manhattan skyline near the World Trade Center site. Offices evacuated. Dispatchers were inundated with calls. Witnesses thought the planes were flying dangerously low.

But the flyover was nothing but a photo op, apparently one of a series of flights to get pictures of the plane in front of national landmarks.

That was rather thoughtless I would say. You would think it would be a no brainer to let the folks there know. It could have been so much worse...people do strange things when they are panicking.

ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 07:09 pm
@mismi,
mismi wrote:
You would think it would be a no brainer to let the folks there know. It could have been so much worse...people do strange things when they are panicking.

totally agreed.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 07:17 pm
@ehBeth,
Completely asininely stupid. So thoughtless that I don't believe it from apparent sophisticated people. I'll figure they didn't care, it would only bring promotional hurley burley. May the promotion take a dive.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 07:50 pm
@mismi,
Shows a concerning lack of thought about likely effects of major trauma!
kickycan

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 07:56 pm
I didn't panic.
kickycan

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 07:57 pm
@kickycan,
But to be fair, I am a total badass. Not everyone can be expected to be as brave as I.
dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 07:58 pm
@kickycan,
That's because you were pleasuring yourself and didn't notice.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 08:03 pm
@kickycan,
Blinks, there's the Kick...

what the hell have you been up to, you scamp...?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 08:06 pm
@dlowan,
I conject that it is not lack of thought, but a decision to go ahead anyway, for the promotional benefits. I'm a fair cynic.
mismi

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 08:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh Osso - I hope not. Surely they would have notified the proper authorities to let the folks know it was a photo op. I can't imagine they thought people might panic and ignored it. Please let that be so. If they knew and did it anyway...well...it is beyond me.

Kicky- so glad you didn't panic you manly man you.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 08:52 pm
@mismi,
I didn't mean they didn't notify authorities, but that they did it with knowledge that their efforts would have a reaction in the doing thereof.. How could there not be? These are not people with no clue.

What the authorities are doing agreeing probably has to do with fees and that the requesters aren't clear crazies.

I've a bias. I once had a thread here whining about some sky art over the NY harbor. I've very tecchy re how the sky is used. I don't even like balloon festivals much - they irritate me.
Signed, ms. crabby.
Roberta

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 11:49 pm
Glad I didn't know it was happening. And glad I didn't hear a plane flying low. Major trauma. Kicky is a brave one. Not so this kid.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 11:54 pm
Haven't they heard of Photoshop? They could put their 747 anywhere they wanted.
McTag

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 02:28 am

Unbelievably stupid.

But I'm glad Kicky was all right.
dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 02:39 am
@McTag,
he's SOOOOOOOOO brave...simpers.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 04:06 am
Absolutely wrong.
Googled pictures of Statue of Liberty and got 1.400 000 possibilities.
They could easily used one of those instead of scaring people.
Egoists
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 05:26 am
@roger,
the funny thing is, they'll likely end up photoshopping the real pics to make them all clean and flashy, so you're right, why not just do it in the first place
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 05:26 am
Jon Stewart covered this in his news show last night and he shared our concerns that these douche bags were so stupid as to not understand Photoshop. These pictures had better be something so special as to make the entire loss of revenuethey generate, worth it.
McTag

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 11:33 am
@farmerman,

Oh goody because we see The Daily Show here a day late so I'll see that tonight.

I like Jon Stewart.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 12:49 pm
heeeeeyyyy.....

wait a minute...

kicky hasn't been around for a bit, and he suddenly shows up.

some weirdo claiming to be a medical student but sounds like a 15 year old girl starts posting about her obsession with "her medical school friend" Starting at least 3 threads saying the same stuff.

pure chance?
0 Replies