my brother stole 10,000$ what do i do

genya1

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 06:51 am
i had 10,000 in a safe at my moms house, my brother stole it, he admited that he did it, was going to repay me, now he wont answer calls, or have any contact, he lives in a different state, can i sue him to get my money back, i dont want to press criminal , long jail term im told and he has 2 little girls that i adore. please help
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,814 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 06:58 am
You need to retain a lawyer and go over your options with the attorney. One of the things they will want to know is whether there is any way that your brother could have thought it was some sort of a loan or a gift, so be prepared to answer that.

Best of luck to you, and I'm sorry this is happening.
genya1

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 07:04 am
@jespah,
thanks for answering, i cant afford an attorney i was hopeing to be able to do this in small claims, he ABSOLUTELY stole the money, i had taken a loan against my house to put on new sideing have a tree taken down and he knew this, when i asked him why, he said he had so many bills he was overwelmed and that he knew he would be caught, we used to be very close so there was so misunderstanding why i had the money.
sullyfish6

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 05:49 pm
Report the money stolen from the safe. The police will take it from there.

Otherwise, you have just given a gift to your brother, bacause he sees it that way.

0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 06:32 pm
@genya1,
Small claims does not go up to $10,000. I think in most states the limit is $3,000.

You have three choices: report him to the police, ask him to make small payments to you on a monthly basis or start to think of it as a gift.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 09:13 pm
Genya, I'm wondering if there is any kind of legal aid law office near you. You might be able to make at least telephone inquiries if they would see you, or even just have a short consult with a regular attorney.

I'm not an attorney, am just thinking about what I might do if I were you.

0 Replies

BarbieQPickle

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 12:22 am
Get real someone that would steal 10,000$ from you is not going to pay you back in small payments or any payments. He's not answering the phone because he knows you won't follow through with any threat. By the time you do anything about it, it will probably be to late. And the maximum amount you can get from small claims court is 5,000$, depending on your state it may only be 3,000$. By letting people get away with stuff like this they just keep doing it, maybe not to you, maybe to someone else. This was easy enough why not keep going?
jespah

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 08:13 am
@BarbieQPickle,
Bingo. And osso is on target, too, sorry I didn't specify. You can go to a legal services office in your state or county. Just look them up in the phone book.

$10k is a serious chunk of change. Use the proper means to get it back.
0 Replies

mizzpattinson

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 02:17 pm
@genya1,
geezeeeeee
that sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies