Need help with "pretty links" for blog...

ppyluv

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 05:30 pm
I'm helping my husband with his blog, but when it comes to anything that has to do with code, I'm completely lost. Am I over my head trying to install the "pretty links" plugin? Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,105 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 10:16 pm
@ppyluv,
The instructions:

Quote:
1. Upload 'pretty-link.zip' to the '/wp-content/plugins/' directory
2. Activate the plugin through the 'Plugins' menu in WordPress
3. Make sure you have changed your permalink Common Settings in Settings -> Permalinks away from "Default" to something else. I prefer using custom and then "/%postname%/" for the simplest possible URL slugs.

Can you be more specific about what part you are having a problem with?
ppyluv

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 07:30 am
@Robert Gentel,
Hi Robert - Well, I've downloaded it and changed the permalink to Month and Name. It looks like this: Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
It puts this in Custom Structure: /index.php/%year%/%monthnum%/%postname%/ But if I choose Custom Structure and click on save changes, it goes back to Month and Name. I don't have anything in the Optional Category base or Tag base fields. I also went to Pretty Link and did the manual regeneration. I've also chosen the Apache Rewrite Mode in Pretty Pink Options. I still show no clicks on the links I've added...
Hope you can make some sense of this. Thanks so much for your help Surprised)
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 11:08 am
@ppyluv,
If you are just trying to get nicer URLs for SEO I'd actually recommend the All in One SEO Pack instead.
ppyluv

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 12:26 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I'll check it out, but what I'm trying to do is get it to where we can see how many hits there are on the links I've posted. His blog is Edit [Moderator]: Link removed if you want to take a look at it. I did the set up on it but have a lot to learn as far as optimization. Don't know if I have the brain for it or not...
0 Replies