Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 03:59 pm
Very Happy

this topic just showed up on my twitter page

now that's cool Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 04:14 pm
@Letty,
Yeh, cool has come and gone and shown up again and again as a cool word in my lifetime. Sort of like two toned Fords. Well, I guess more so. (I'm hep. No, I mean hip..)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 05:31 pm
Cool, in the sense that we use it, has been in use for more than two hundred years. Originally, i believe it was applied to someone who could "keep his head while all those about him were losing theirs," but it spread rather quickly to social use.
chai2

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 01:12 pm
I've had a few friends (3) ask me to be their friend on facebook.

I did all the rigamarole of signing up and whatever else, then couldn't understand what the big deal was. I read some of the stuff of people I didn't know, didn't have any context to understand what they were talking about. I don't even remember my sign up name or password. I didn't bother to do anything with the other 2 people.

I figured I was missing something important about the experience, but didn't really get how to change that.

Then, one of the other friends called me and I felt all apologetic. "I'm sorry I didn't answer your facebook thing, I keep forgetting to do it." She told me not to worry about it. She said she got shanghaied into joining by someone else asking her, and she had just sent out all these invites for, well, no good reason. She said it annoyed her when she'd email a friend to talk, and they would tell her to go on Facebook and see what they were up to there. "I don't want to read everything they are doing, and go back looking for something and wasting that time. I want to talk to them directly, like we're doing" It was good to hear someone who I think is extrememly cool say that, and not just because it validated my initial feelings.

Also, I don't care at all what all the other people are doing, if I've never heard of them.

So I kinda get that Facebook is like a big, um, scrapebook or something, and I have absolutely no idea what twitter is.

What's twitter?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 02:15 pm
@Setanta,
Well, I remember it not being used as much for a while, in Los Angeles anyway, but can't pinpoint the years.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 02:38 pm
I don't know. I'm poncy, and thinking about it I probably cultivate my facebook personality way too much to look all cultured.

Um, I suppose the main in which I do it is writing short concise and (hopefully) witty status's and personal sections, rather than embarrassing babble like:
'Oh, well if you don't know me, why have you added me? LOL. I'm just a bubbly, lively girl who luvs watchin films and chillin wiv me mates.'
Yuck.

And always have a good picture of something interesting (and fashionable I suppose) rather than one you've taken yourself taken yourself at such an angle where your hair is covering your face but everyone can see down your top.
This is from a YOUTHFUL perspective however...

The best profile blunder i've seen was my friends twin, who under the 'books' section put: 'Do colourin books count LOL. I am writting my own book LOL.'
(the double t her typo not mine)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 02:54 pm
So far, RG's answer was the most detailed, from the point of view of the obsessive netizen, and Francis' was best for pointing out the ineffable obscurity of coolth . . . so i'm gonna give them green text, and ever'body else gets a star . . .
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 08:09 pm
<Waving to Francis!>

I'm on Facebook only because my uncle asked me to join several times. All of my "friends" are relatives or co-workers. How pathetic is that?

It's actually proven useful to keep in touch with long-lost relatives, plus co-workers.

Cool? Absolutely not.

Never joined Twitter, as I didn't think it sounded like fun. Er, is it fun?
chai2

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 08:20 pm
@BorisKitten,
BorisKitten, long time no see!

How's everything?
BorisKitten

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 10:08 pm
@chai2,
Everything's Good, so happy to "see" you again!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 03:29 pm
@BorisKitten,
Waving back!

Where were you hiding girl, these last three years?
0 Replies