William Refrigerator Perry in Serious Condition

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 09:11 pm
CHICAGO (AP) - Former Chicago Bears defensive lineman William "The Refrigerator" Perry was in serious condition at a South Carolina hospital, a spokeswoman said on Tuesday.

William "The Refrigerator" Perry of the Chicago Bears in Super Bowl XX, which the Bears won. (Mike Powell / Getty Images)
Perry, 46, was hospitalized to deal with complications from Guillain-Barre Syndrome, a chronic inflammation disorder of the peripheral nerves, the Chicago Sun-Times and Chicago Tribune reported.

Aiken Regional Medical Center spokeswoman Melissa Summer declined to give additional details.

Perry's nephew, Purnell Perry, told the Sun-Times his uncle was admitted more than a week ago but was expected to recover.

Perry was a 300-pound plus defensive tackle for the Bears' 1985 Super Bowl team and became famous when then coach Mike Ditka used him as a short-yardage fullback on goal-line plays. Perry crashed into the end zone for a touchdown in the Bears' victory over New England in the 1986 Super Bowl.

Guillain-Barre Syndrome is a rare condition that occurs when immune system cells mistakenly attack nerve cells that support the muscles. Symptoms include weakness or tingling in the legs, which may spread to the arms and upper body. In the most severe cases, GBS can lead to paralysis and death.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,653 • Replies: 10
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 09:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
Geez, I didn't know he had that, aack.
Wishing him well, of course.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 09:18 pm
I loved Fridge. I wish him well.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 10:03 pm
I also wish him well. But his achievement at the Super Bowl doesn't impress me. 50 other guy also scored against the Patriots in that game. I watched the massacre on TV.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 10:04 pm
@NickFun,
He was well liked before that game.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 10:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
he Always had fun...
ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 10:08 pm
@Rockhead,
Yes, to eb and rh, a lot of us liked him for being him.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 04:51 am
Was he not the gentleman who once picked up the ball carrier in his arms and then march himself with the ball carrier and the ball for a touch down dragging any number of defense players with them?

Lord and then they disallow the goal if memory serve me correctly.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 05:36 am
@BillRM,
As I recall it, the ball carrier was judged down before Fridge picked him up.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 05:39 am

hoping they can repair The Fridge...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 07:06 am
@edgarblythe,
Even being a NE Patriot fan, I love Fridge Perry. I can remember that play and cheered for him. Who couldn't?

Best wishes for him.
0 Replies