What Makes A Good Movie Going Experience?

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 05:36 pm
I've been told by friends and relatives who have seen it that the sea battles are hair raising and seasick inducing. Definitely will make it to the multiplex big screen for this one!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 07:00 pm
Smithsonian
My favorite theater experience was at the I-Max National Air and Space Museum at the Smithsonian in Washington D.C.

The theater was deeply curved so that you felt like you were in the middle of the picture, which was space photography from the Space Shuttle.

It was breath taking.

http://www.1570films.com/north%20american%20theaters/wdc_nasm.htm
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 04:29 pm
My best movie going experience recently was "Sea Biscuit" The audience applauded at the end. Something I had not experienced in a mvie in years, maybe decades. A close second was "The Pianist." At the end, the audience sat mesmorized watching the credits and listening to the music.

Unlike the legitimate theatre, movie audiences rarely have a sense of being part of an adience. The very nature of film precludes it. The movie audience can't affect the actors by applause, by laughter, or be being so quiet you could hear a pin drop. The theatre audience also has an added experience, the intermission, which not infrequently has strangers smiling or even commenting to one another about the performance.

Still, I remember as a boy going to the Saturday afternoon double feature and cartoon and screaming my lungs out to help Tom Mix watch out for the guy in the black hat. And at the end of the movie clapping and yelling "Yea!, Yea!, believing that somehow Tom mix did indeed hear our pleasure-filled response.

Today, with VHS and DVD's, we are isolated and watch our movies solo. We don't experience, nor do we give a damn about how others would react to the same material. Our movie "audiences" may be dead, but we still flock to the stadiums to see our favorite team (U of M) beat the hell out of our arch enemy (OSU). We know there is no substite for the players being in our presence. We know that television is a good, but emotionally limited, second, compared to being there.
(However, my wife screams at the TV as if she were in the stadium and, like the kids at the saturday movies, she believes she is there.)
0 Replies