dezzie

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 12:31 pm
what is the tribe that completely funded its own schools without help from missionaries

farmerman

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 12:57 pm
@dezzie,
Is this a question written by an adult? Id view it as a trick question because of all the possibilities to answer that one.
chai2

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 12:58 pm
@dezzie,
That would be the Fucaway Indian.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 01:18 pm
Don't know if this is what you're looking for, and in general we tell people looking for shortcuts from us to doing their homework that they should do it themselves, since otherwise they learn nothing. Google is always a good place to start.

But this may be a hint, and I'm going to do it because I think the story of what he did is really great. Start with the link and follow where it leads you.

The Cherokee Sequoyah, in the early 19th century, working alone, created an entirely new syllabic system for writing Cherokee, which previously had no written language. He overcame great doubts among his people, taught it to others, and within about ten years, with no "help" from missionaries (whose "help" generally comes with strings attached, like pressure to convert to Christianity) most of the Cherokee Nation was literate.

Go to www.wikipedia.com and look at the "Sequoyah" article.
dezzie

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 01:26 pm
@MontereyJack,
thanks for helping me i dont want it to seem like im just tryin to get answer because im not i just dont really no how to work google it never works for me
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 01:30 pm
usually if you just type in your question, just like an ordinary sentence, it'll give you something on which to start, if not an immediate answer. You may have to look at the first dozen or so hits to find what you can use. You might have to use a few more precise keywords than your request here.
dezzie

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 01:32 pm
@MontereyJack,
why is everyone else so rude? your the only one trying to help me
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 01:39 pm
I went to google, and typed in your query (putting "Indian" in before "tribe"--that's a keyword), and got a bunch of hits. Looking thru their summaries, I found a tribe that provided its own health services without missionaries, and a lot of mentions about government- and missionary-run schools. Read a few of them and they should give you a background, and hopefully an answer.
dezzie

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 01:41 pm
@MontereyJack,
THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH!!!
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 01:45 pm
it's because we get a LOT of kids who try to use us to do their work for them. I'm being helpful because rather than seeming like trying to sneak in a fast one you admitted you were having a problem and asked directly for help. We're more likely to give you a tip on how to look for yourself, rather than tell you what you would find if you did the looking, because if we tell you that you don't learn anything. And also because I remembered something about Sequoyah and his story and thought he was kind of an inspiration. Good luck.
dezzie

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 01:47 pm
@MontereyJack,
well thanks again your awesome
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 05:10 pm
@MontereyJack,
On ya, MJ!!!!!

Very Happy
spendius

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 05:19 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Is this a question written by an adult? Id view it as a trick question because of all the possibilities to answer that one.

That's effemm's standard answer when he doesn't know but feels he ought to have a gob off.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 05:36 pm
@spendius,
"gob off" I can only suppose your meaning is that FM is opinionated. How interesting. Have you ever expressed an opinion?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 08:26 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

it's because we get a LOT of kids who try to use us to do their work for them. I'm being helpful because rather than seeming like trying to sneak in a fast one you admitted you were having a problem and asked directly for help. We're more likely to give you a tip on how to look for yourself, rather than tell you what you would find if you did the looking, because if we tell you that you don't learn anything. And also because I remembered something about Sequoyah and his story and thought he was kind of an inspiration. Good luck.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_8qRRG_WD2mk/SIbn9pKfpsI/AAAAAAAAAPU/N_ygGTOjIas/s400/applause.gif
0 Replies

dezzie

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 08:12 am
@dlowan,
huh?
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 09:02 am
@dezzie,
dezzie wrote:
huh?

The Rabbit is from Oz ... Nuff said?
dezzie