Madoff, sentencing

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 08:00 am
If I were the judge, to hell with prison time. I would sentence Madoff to live in public housing, welfare income/food stamps/ soup kitchens and medicare.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 568 • Replies: 12
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 08:02 am
@dyslexia,
Why punish the innocent?

(...by innocent I am not referring to Madoff)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 09:12 am
@dyslexia,
Bernie Madoff, who stole billions, should have a sentence proportional to Martha Stewart's, who stole nothing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 09:29 am
I think he should be made to live in a brick room, with the only stimulation allowed being a loop video of Roseanne Barr doing her version of the National Anthem.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 09:33 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I think he should be made to live in a brick room, with the only stimulation allowed being a loop video of Roseanne Barr doing her version of the National Anthem.
that's cruel and unusual punishment Laughing
JTT

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 09:55 pm
In addition, since he was basically a racketeer, every penny that he made during this run should be confiscated. All taxes paid by any person at the top of the Ponzi should be put into a fund and all the regulators who missed this should lose half of their salary for the rest of their days, including pension proceeds.
roger

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 10:52 pm
@JTT,
But. . . but that would mean he couldn't use stolen money to provide his own defense under RICO rules. For once, I love it.
JTT

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 11:13 pm
@dyslexia,
Give Edgar some time and I'm sure that he can come up with some crueler and unusualer punishment.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 11:14 pm
@roger,
Then would the taxpayer be paying for his defence? Maybe OmsigD will run a pro bono defense team.
roger

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 11:26 pm
@JTT,
Taxpayers pay for public defenders, but they don't pay much. Defendant gets the luck of the draw. In fact, the court would probably appoint someone at least competent.
JTT

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 11:50 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Taxpayers pay for public defenders, but they don't pay much

The ultimate irony, Roger. The rich guys got stiffed by a rich guy and the taxpayer has to defend the rich guy for the rich guys.
roger

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2009 12:35 am
@JTT,
I am kind of gratified that most of us didn't "qualify" for those exclusive funds of his. I understand that you had to have serious clout to get ripped of by Madhoff.
JTT

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2009 12:45 am
@roger,
That's what I've heard too. What I haven't heard is any of the folks at the top of the pyramid offering to share their "profits".
0 Replies