The dotted red line ?

fresco

Sun 5 Apr, 2009 02:02 am
What is the significance of the dotted red underline for some posts?

View best answer, chosen by fresco
jespah

Sun 5 Apr, 2009 08:33 am
@fresco,
The dotted red underline (if I understand you correctly, as I can't find a sample right now) is probably something that, if you click it, leads to either an ad or a Google search.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 5 Apr, 2009 08:37 am
@fresco,
Within a post, or on a page like New Posts?
0 Replies

Chumly

Sun 5 Apr, 2009 08:49 am
The Dotted Red Line is a version of the 1998 war film 'The Thin Red Line" using actors with disfluencies.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 5 Apr, 2009 09:41 am
On my computer, the dotted red line is invariably an indicator for a misspelled word.
0 Replies

fresco

Sun 5 Apr, 2009 11:18 am
If I go to "My Posts" I currently have the line under the last post of each of the first three items in the page of listings.
ossobuco

Sun 5 Apr, 2009 11:23 am
@fresco,
Well, in the US, baulked is spelled 'balked' - I have noticed that the dot-check tends to prefer US spelling. (I don't know how it is spelled in England.)
I didn't check your other two posts.

fresco

Sun 5 Apr, 2009 11:26 am
@ossobuco,
I don't think its that. The line appears on the first few posts of "New Topics".
In both caes its just under the name of the poster and the time details.

EDIT
Ah!...it may be all posts timed "p.m. today".
fresco

Sun 5 Apr, 2009 12:20 pm
@fresco,
Now they've gone from "My Posts"but are still there on New Topics" and "New Posts". Confused

EDIT
Except for this post I find ! Shocked
sozobe

Sun 5 Apr, 2009 01:19 pm
@fresco,
The line is orange and not red on my screen, but when I see it on a "new posts"-type screen, it means that I haven't read something since I was last logged in to Able2Know.

If you click on it, read the new stuff, and then go back to "new posts," the orange (or red) dotted line should be gone until something new appears on that thread.
sozobe

Sun 5 Apr, 2009 01:23 pm
@sozobe,
Hmm, that's how it has worked in the past but just now when I tested, I couldn't seem to get rid of the orange dotted line. Everything new since I was last logged on is underlined in orange, everything older than that doesn't have the underline. Possibly something's not working right, I'm not sure.

Meanwhile, "hmm" has a red dotted line under it in this reply box since Firefox spell-checker doesn't like it.
ossobuco

Sun 5 Apr, 2009 01:37 pm
@sozobe,
So my red dots must be from the safari spell checker; I don't (yet) see other dots.
fresco

Sun 5 Apr, 2009 03:27 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco,

As I type this,
Its showing on the header of your last post under the right hand side date/time>>>>>>>>>>>Sun 5 Apr, 2009 07:37 pm
ehBeth

Sun 5 Apr, 2009 03:30 pm
@fresco,
I see the dots in the same places that you do fresco. What the posts have in common, that have the dots, is that they are all posts made since I last logged out.
fresco

Sun 5 Apr, 2009 03:53 pm
@ehBeth,
Okay, but I never actually "Log Out" in the sense of clicking that tab.
ehBeth

Sun 5 Apr, 2009 04:07 pm
@fresco,
Do you ever leave the site and then have to log in?
ossobuco

Sun 5 Apr, 2009 07:25 pm
@ehBeth,
Hmm, I never log out. There ya go..
But Fresco doesn't either?
fresco

Sun 5 Apr, 2009 11:49 pm
@ossobuco,
You don't have to log in whilst the a2k cookie is listed - only if you delete it during an internet cleanup operation.
ossobuco

Mon 6 Apr, 2009 12:04 am
@fresco,
I probably have a zillion cookies, and I certainly hope I have a2k's. I don't log in for years at a time. I used to chase cookies, but am over it for the nonce, unless I'm am clued in otherwise.
0 Replies

roger

Mon 6 Apr, 2009 12:32 am
@ehBeth,
I think that's the only thing it can be, just by elimination.
0 Replies