Sleeping Monitor

Pitter

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 10:24 am
If I leave my desktop inactive for fifteen minutes or so the monitor "goes to sleep" and won´t "wake up" when I move the mouse around. The only way I get it back is by shutting the computer off with the on/off button and then starting it again. I´m sure there must be a better alternative.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,344 • Replies: 15
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 11:16 am
@Pitter,
Maybe you can go to Control Panel and select Power Options to set it to where it just doesn't go to sleep. Actually, it hibernates, but the timing can be reset. Then, you'll have to put it to sleep manually. I think this will work.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 11:19 am
@Pitter,
Hmmm, my computer wakes up when I click on any keyboard key, not by moving the mouse. Did you try that?
roger

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 11:28 am
@ossobuco,
Same either way. I've had the same problem, so maybe it's just not a Mac thing.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 04:43 pm
@roger,
What heading would "power options" be under? I cant seem to find it. I have "vista".
Intrepid

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 05:27 pm
@Pitter,
You should find power options in control panel. Try changing to classic view to look at control panel.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 05:45 pm
@Pitter,
You are experiencing exactly what Vista is supposed to do-

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/45bde1ee-34c8-4bcf-9d90-dbeb1fe1067a1033.mspx

When it goes into sleep mode you have to hit the power button to restart it. You should notice that it doesn't take as long to start up as if you shut it down and restarted it.

15 minutes seems a bit too fast to go into sleep mode for the computer. Check your power settings and change them to what you think will work best for you. Sleep the monitor earlier than the computer.
parados

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 05:49 pm
@parados,
Here are detailed instructions that may be of help
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-power-management-on-windows-vista/

In case the link stops working

Control Panel

Power Options

Select A Power Plan
High Performance - to only sleep the monitor.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 06:07 pm
@parados,
Ok I think I get it. When the monitor has "gone to sleep" (gone blank) and moving the mouse/hitting a key doesn´t wake it up I press the "on" button on the computer tower briefly and release it but don´t hold it for several seconds untill it shuts the computer down. Is that right?
Pitter

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 04:52 am
@Pitter,
Nope that didn´t work and I can´t find "power options" in my control panel which is in Spanish. What else would be under the same heading?
roger

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 06:08 am
@Pitter,
I also have Vista. Power options in my control panel looks like a battery (dry cell) with an electrical cord wrapped around it.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 06:17 am
@Pitter,
http://pcwar.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/vista_control_panel.jpg
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 08:22 am
Wow, thanks Intrepid, now I´ve found the classic view and the battery/cord image. So I click the third option down "high performance". Under the options there I selected "never" shut the screen down and "never" put the machine in a state of suspention. Does that sound good? I don´t leave my computer on all day and shut it off if I think I won´t be using it in the next hour or so.
parados

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 09:11 am
@Pitter,
I would let the screen shut down since it is one of the bigger power hogs.
roger

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 11:20 am
@parados,
Yeah, but when I leave, I just bump the sleep (Zz) button on the keyboard. The whole thing goes to sleep, and wakes up when I briefly touch the power button. Sleep is different than hibernate.
0 Replies

fgkee

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 09:10 pm
When the monitor has "gone to sleep", i just move the mouse or hit a key . Then it wakes up. Never appear being black all the time.
0 Replies