So who's allowed to call themselves a christian?

chai2

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 12:27 pm
Labels.

The house across the street from me has been rented for several years now by some guy who's on the road (musician) much of the time. So he saves money by getting roommates. Never any problems with them, and I'll say right up front I'm not having a problem in this situation. It just got me thinking....

The newest roommate, C., introduced himself to me about 3 weeks ago as we were both leaving for work. Nice guy, polite. Talked for about five minutes.

The next day we happened to be leaving at the same time again. He came over and asked me if he thought the neighbors around there would be interested in having a block party one weekend.

I said "Oh yeah! We all know each other one on one probably 3 or so houses in either direction of our own. It'd be fun to all be out here at the same time. I know that B. who lives in that house over there, was talking about this once." A few days later I was at B's house and mentioned it to her. She was really into it. I told her I'd send him her way to talk (I'm not much of an organizer as far as social events, but I'm real good at carrying out assignments)

It crossed the back of my mind in a wondering way if this was C's way of starting a God/Bible/Christian thing. I'll admit, the only reason I thought this was that C's name is a religious name from the bible. I know, stupid, that's like assuming someone named Adolph is evil. Anyway, I know that none of my neighbors 4 houses on either side express themselves as particularly religious. We're all non-church goers, and the subject of God just never comes up.

Anyway, I was out there gardening this morning, and C. was cleaning out his car. I told him how B. was enthusiastic about a block party, and to go over there went he got a chance.

Then we started chatting about what we do for a living, where we were from originally, etc. He mentioned he was the 5th of 6 children, but his younger sister had died. He seemed ok with talking about it, so I asked him how old she had been.

Turns out she was 10 months old, and that they knew she had some kind of chomosome disorder while she was in utero, and would not survive. The mother had decided to have an abortion, but on the way down there, God spoke to her and told her this child would live. This is were I heard a warning ting-a-ling. I can see someone, or myself saying something like "she realized this wasn't the right thing to do, that is wasn't what God wanted"....but whenever someone says 'God spoke to me', I just get leary.

The baby's born without a brain stem, the physicians advice taking her off life support, it's refused becasue "God told me this child would live" So she died at 10 months.....Fast forward to when C. is a teenager and addicited to drugs and overdoses/attempts suicide on his prom night....He's in a coma for 5 days, blah blah blah....It's at this moment his mother realizes that C was the child God was talking about, and C. would not die.

So he wakes up after 5 days and in a week walks out on his own 2 feet.

Ok, I'm finally up to the who gets to call themselves a christian part.
The family says it's a miracle he wakes up, all the doctors say it was impossible, this shouldn't have happened. All the doctors....except one.

C. said "There was only one christian doctor there. He was the only one who understood why he lived, etc etc etc." I told him that was a really interesting story, and I'm glad things turned out so well.

Later I wondered how many doctors were included in that statement of "he was the only christian doctor" Four, five, six? Were all these other doctors atheists or something? I'm pretty sure at least one of them, probably more would say. "hey, I'm a (methodist, lutheran, catholic, fill in the blank).

Anyway, do christians have a monopoly on miracles? Can one not believe in a miracle and simply state they believe in God?

Anyway, like I said upfront, I like this guy, there's a lot of great attributes about him, and I certainly don't object to his beliefs.

I just wonder why now you've got to be a certain kind of christian, and if you're not, you and your entire belief system, which you may take very seriously, is thrown into a big pile with the label "not a christian"

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 21 • Views: 5,308 • Replies: 70
No top replies

mismi

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 12:41 pm
@chai2,
Hey Chai - I think the technical meaning of a Christian is a follower of Christ. That means they believe that Jesus (Christ) came to earth and was born of a virgin, died and rose again on the third day - he was the substitute for sinners.

But many who believe in God and not necessarily the story of Jesus call themselves Christians. Many whose parents went to church call themselves Christians...I guess it depends on your own interpretation of the word.

It doesn't really mean a lot in todays society I think. It is a nebulous catch all phrase for good people. That's not a bad thing - many words change over time. But I do believe the word started out meaning someone who followed Christ and his teachings. I am not really sure if it's right or wrong, or if it matters really - since names don't really mean much.

I could be wrong - it happens... Wink
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 12:49 pm
The definition of Christian for most of those who label themselves as such is one who has submitted to the Biblical God, and who has also signed on to the morality doctrine that has been generated by the church since the time of Christ.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 01:06 pm
Usually we call ourselves Christians if we feel we are Christians.
According to the Christian churches you are a Christian if you have been baptized.
Even if you leave the church you are still a Christian.
A baptism in most denominations are accepted in other denominations except those who only accept baptism of grown ups and some free churches who believe in kind of "born again" thing.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 01:29 pm
@chai2,
Maybe it was a Jewish hospital with only one Christian doctor. The other Jewish doctors would not be Christians because they do not accept Christ as the Saviour. Smile

Could be other reasons. Many call themselves Christians when they are not.

Christians believe that Jesus was sent for the remission of their sins and he will come back to take them to heaven with him. They pray to God in His name and that is why they refer to themselves as Christians.

Others could also experience miracles, but they would not accept them as being from the grace of God through Christ.

IMHO

P.S. ~~~ In answer to your question on who is allowed to call themselves Christians.

A - Anybody who wants to
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 02:25 pm
Lutherans are christians.

So are methodists, catholics, presbyterians.

A quick cut and paste of christian religions from wikipedia....

1 Catholicism
1.1 Roman Catholic Church
1.1.1 Latin Rite
1.1.2 Eastern Catholic Churches
1.2 Anglican Communion
1.3 Eastern Orthodox Church
1.4 Oriental Orthodox Church
1.5 Assyrian Church of the East
1.6 Other Churches that call themselves Catholic
1.6.1 Roman
1.6.2 (Continuing and Independent) Anglican
1.6.3 Orthodox
1.6.3.1 Byzantine
1.6.3.2 Oriental
1.6.3.3 Western-Rite
2 Protestantism
2.1 Pre-Lutheran Protestants
2.2 Lutheranism
2.3 Reformed Churches
2.3.1 Presbyterianism
2.3.2 Congregationalist Churches
2.4 Anabaptists
2.5 Brethren
2.6 Methodists
2.7 Pietists and Holiness Churches
2.8 Baptists
2.8.1 Spiritual Baptists
2.9 Apostolic Churches - Irvingites
2.10 Pentecostalism
2.11 Charismatics
2.11.1 Neo-Charismatic Churches
2.12 African Initiated Churches
2.13 United and uniting churches
2.14 Religious Society of Friends (Quakers)
2.15 Restorationism: Stone-Campbell Movement
2.16 Southcottites
2.17 Millerites and Comparable groups
2.17.1 Sabbath Keeping Churches, Adventist
2.17.2 Sabbath-Keeping Churches, Non-Adventist
2.17.3 Sunday Adventists
2.17.4 Sacred Name Groups
2.17.5 Bible Student Groups
2.18 Anglo-Israelism
2.19 Miscellaneous/Other
3 Latter Day Saints
3.1 "Prairie Saint" denominations
3.2 Rocky Mountains denominations
3.3 Other denominations
4 Nontrinitarian Groups
4.1 Oneness Pentecostalism
4.2 Unitarianism and Universalism
4.3 Swedenborgianism
4.4 Other non-Trinitarians
5 Messianic Judaism
6 New Thought
7 New religious movements
7.1 New Age movements
7.2 Religions associated with the Yoruba
8 Esoteric Christianity

I'm sure one could look at the individual religions in this list and debate their "christianity"

However, if one is themselves a follower of one of these, or I'm sure many other religions, or even if they belong to any formalized religions, that person would be just as valid in saying they are a christian.

I'm not talking about someone who's parents went to a particular church, but they don't.

What I am talking about is the labeling of another person and whether they are a christian or not, based on their own perception of what a christian is, which is based on the fact they believe they are a christian.

mismi gave the opinion that the word christian doesn't have much meaning in todays society, beyond the idea of being a "good person".

I personally could give the same one for word opinion, except substituting "good person" with "a person who will eventually, and at an unexpected time, put up some type of dividing line which separates them from anyone who thinks differently, even if that other person professes themselves to be of the same ilk" See? Even I put a label on it.

On the odd occassion where I've been asked (by someone who calls themselves a christian) "are you a christian?" there is absolutely no way for me to answer in a way that satisfies me. The reason I can't be satisfied is the regardless of the answer, there is going to be more conversation attempted about whatever my answer was. It's not something I want to talk about. It doesn't matter why I don't, it's my perogative, and I don't want to talk about it.

If I were to anwer yes, no, or neither, and then continued with, in so many words, "I don't want to continue to talk about this" or "that's a private matter" no matter how politely it's said, it's out there, just hanging between the 2 of you. Honestly? I don't think it would hang very long, because I believe the other person will be compelled to say something. You can't ask them in return "why do you ask?" because that would continue the conversation also. If you respond "what difference does it make?" well, now you'll be told.

I might be a devout lutheran, an observant catholic, or a serious believer in the methodist religion. I still don't want to talk about it, or be asked if I'm a christian. Whether you understand it or not, for many people their beliefs are a private matter.

I've a question for someone who considers themselves a christian.

If you were to ask someone that, and they responded "I'm a catholic" and they didn't say another word. Do you feel that your question was answered?
Intrepid

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 02:33 pm
@chai2,
Yes
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 02:36 pm
@chai2,

Any old asshole, apparently, in my experience

Cycloptichorn
dyslexia

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 02:38 pm
If christians are "good people" does that mean "non-christians are "bad people?"
tycoon

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 02:43 pm
It occurs to me that what your neighbor and his mother call a miracle is very malleable. In order to explain away the death that God assured her would not happen, she simply "misunderstood". If your neighbor had tragically died also I have no doubt that it would eventually dawn on his mother that God was actually speaking about her 4th child. If that one somehow assumed room temperature as well, she's still got three more kids to keep the miracle happily chugging along.

So in this regard, they appear to be True Christians: Amazingly gullible, with an inability to face reality.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 03:03 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

If christians are "good people" does that mean "non-christians are "bad people?"

Nope. You are proof that they are not.
Intrepid

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 03:05 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Any old asshole, apparently, in my experience

Cycloptichorn

Ouch!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 03:08 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

dyslexia wrote:

Nope. You are proof that they are not.
Very Happy
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 03:09 pm
@chai2,
I have never asked a person if they are a Christian. Probalby while growing up in Sweden that would have been a stupid question as now 80-85% belong to the Lutheran Church and the majority of the rest belongs to some other denomintions within the Christian Church. Most other Scandinavians and Europeans are Christians in one way or other.
The question is too personal IMO.
When someone asks that usually for me sounds as if they belong to some sort of free church and that person wants to convert you into their denomination.
I really avoid them - I have run into them.
Usually they have been either Jehovas Witnesses or Mormons. They call themselves Christians, but Jehovas Witnesses still are waiting for Christ even if they believe in Jesus (as a profet?) so they are not really Christians and the Mormons are not Christians either in the real sence of the word.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 03:15 pm
really, why would anyone care if a person self identifies as a Christan or not? People generally don't know themselves very well, and are not in the habit of being honest about themselves to others to boot. Better to get to know them, and make up our own minds if they behave as Christians, or not.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 03:25 pm
It is entirely possible that all of the doctors referred to considered themselves to be Christians, but that C and his doctor buddy hew to a different line, and don't consider other people to be Christian unless they espouse the same dogmas as he and the doctor themselves. I was waiting for a friend of mine once on a college campus (Long, long after i left university, i was near 40 at the time) and was approached by a Christian SWAT team. They wanted to get me to join their Bible study group, and they were tag-teaming me, first one speaking and then another doing the "I'll answer that one" when i had a question. It was actually a form of high pressure sales. The attractive young woman who had first approached me (seeing them a few weeks later, i suspect she was "bait") asked me if i had been raised a Christian, and i said that i'd been raised a Catholic (by my Protestant grandmother, although i did't bother to elaborate to her), and she said something to the effect of: "No, no, a Christian." I replied to that that Catholics are Christians, and she demurred, while another member of the tag team told me that really, they're not, and the third guy started attempting to explain to me in detail why Catholics can't be considered Christians. They were losing interest by that point, and looking around, so i frankly told them i found their point of view bigoted, and then told them: "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness." (Matthew Chapter 23, verse 27) Then i told them that actually, i am an atheist, at least functi0nally. They all got really disgusted looks, and the woman started to rail at me for being an atheist and quoting scripture, and the oldest looking dude hauled her off--they were done with me then and there.

Since that time, i've paid more attention, and it seems to me that the more extremely dogmatic someone is, the fewer people they will acknowledge as being "real Christians." You can see it here (or used to be able to do). They really go after the Jehovah's Witnesses. One member here, who is JW, and who showed up several years ago, made a couple of remarks not long after he arrived, so i asked him if he is familiar with the watchtower. He responded in a guarded manner, and we had an understanding. A few years later, it became generally known that he is JW, and people would come here specifically to attack JWs and this member. I suspect other holy rollers here tipped them wise to him being here. Small wonder that there is such an expression as "cold as Christian charity." In my (admittedly limited) experience, the "fringe" Christians, the JWs and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are far more likely to sit down on the front porch with you and talk it over that other types are.

A last little story which always amused the hell out of me. My brother (BS in engineering and mathematics and BA in philosophy, MA in philosophy, and all but the dissertation in a philosophy PhD program) worked in a heavy equipment manufacturing facility while he was going to university. There was a JW there and he got excited when he learned that my brother could read "ancient" languages, i.e., Latin and Classical Greek. He had brought to work a concordance (which means your native language on one page, and the foreign language on the facing page) of the New Testament in English and Koine Greek and kept it in his locker. They were all in the same break room for lunch, and the other assembly line workers began to hoot when he mentioned he had the NT in the "original" Greek, and some actually got angry. The next day, one of them came privately to my brother and asked him if he could really read "ole-timey" Greek, and he said yes, he could. So when they were all in the break room, this guy asked the JW to bring out his book, and show it to my brother. So he looks at it, and says, yeah, this a concordance. The other guy crows and says: "See, i knew it was bullshit!"

Not only are the more extremely dogmatic more likely to be intolerant, but they are often as dumb as a box of rocks, too--or so it seems.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 03:27 pm
Nietzsche once said, "The last Christian died on the cross."

I tend to agree with him from the standpoint that everyone calling themselves a Christian invokes some definition of what that word means - each of them accepting one version of that definition over another and relating it to some semblance of the life/teachings/story of Jesus and/or his followers.

Those definitions differ greatly and they're all probably inaccurate in some sense or another. Those who would tell you that your definition is wrong are just as wrong as you are. Unless, of course, you're right. Wink
Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 03:29 pm
@JPB,
If everyone, in fact, has his or her idiosyncratic definition of Christianity, that means that there's only one guy (or gal) who is actually gonna go to heaven, and the rest of us will burn in Hell.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 03:36 pm
@JPB,
Nietzsche also said "After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands."
I feel the same way after reading Time or Newsweek.
JPB

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 03:40 pm
@Setanta,
Yeah, it's that salvation bugaboo that really is the issue. Most of the definitions revolve around salvation and damnation. I prefer to ignore the whole mess about the next life and concentrate on this one.
0 Replies