So who's allowed to call themselves a christian?

Eorl

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 11:33 pm
@NickFun,
I think he healed all those sick folk knowing that if he got into trouble, they'd all coming running to rescue him. Henceforth, He gave us health insurance loopholes .
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 07:45 am
@Eorl,
Quote:
Unless you look at it from the point of view of the intolerant, in which case it's your intolerance of their intolerance that is wrong.

Its probably not surprising to those who may have read some of my post in the past, but I am not sure I can understand the above.

Lets put it into another context. Say someone is intolerant of Muslims and their religious beliefs to the point where they go on web pages ridiculing the whole Koran from beginning to end pointing to various perceived inconsistencies or just things which may seem unacceptable by those outside of the Islamic religion. Should that intolerant individual be tolerated without any comments being made as to that individuals intolerance?

Why can't an atheist or agnostic simply say why they have no or doubts of religious beliefs without being so intolerant of those who do? In other words live an let live is kind of the way I see the whole thing.
revel

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 07:56 am
@Linkat,
When it comes to the life a child or mother in an emergency situation I think the abortion debate takes on a complicated angle from a religious standpoint. If a religious person says, "we should just let God decide", then it seems to me they are not very consistent if they accept medical help in the first place of which without they would more than likely die. I realize there is a fine line between letting someone die and actually causing death, but I don't think the line for the sake of this particular argument makes a difference. Either medical action is some kind of interference. If that makes sense.
0 Replies

jesusBastard

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 11:00 pm
In order to call yourself a Christian you have to be a complete idiot. You have to be able to accept one book, written thousands of years ago by uneducated male egomaniacle bachelors, and accept it as truth. you have to be so gullible that you would believe in talking snakes, and burning bushes, and also pregnant virgins. You must have obvious issues with the entire female race, and take logic out of any of your spiritual equasions. you have to be almost completely retarded. you must ignore all of the religious persecution which has kept the religion alive for so long, and you have to be willing to live in heaven with the likes of Charles Manson, Jack the ripper, and anyone else who may have asked forgiveness and "repented" cuz christians will let ANYONE into their little club. It helps their numbers and improves their budget. You musnt use condoms or birth control because Females have nothing to do with the creation of life it christianity. Its the Maleness of sperm that is entirely responsible for life, and women have no choice but to repeatedly get fucked by a race who doesnt appreciate them. Try to avoid christianity, if you are strong enough to go against the retarded norm of american society, and avoid this question altogether.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 11:27 pm
@revel,
I gather you have never read my posts. I am without theism and understand others having different viewpoints. I'm pretty tired of of diatribes against my - ah, ilk.

Maybe you haven't seen all the times I've said this or you or others go around assuming and building on the assumptions.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 11:38 pm
@ossobuco,
I can't comment re jesusbastard the poster, haven't really read the posts yet.

0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 12:51 am
@revel,
revel wrote:

Quote:
Unless you look at it from the point of view of the intolerant, in which case it's your intolerance of their intolerance that is wrong.

Its probably not surprising to those who may have read some of my post in the past, but I am not sure I can understand the above.

In other words live an let live is kind of the way I see the whole thing.

Just read it slower and think about it and it'll make more sense.

"live an let live" is the way you see the whole thing. There are people who find that attitude intolerable. You are defending their right to intolerance of you.

I find it's incredibly common for people to think that everyone should be allowed to believe what they want, and yet assume all people should reciprocate that very belief.

There are many, many people in the world who think you should be put to death for your beliefs. This holds true for every person on the planet. You probably think you have the right not to be killed, because you assume your "live an let live" belief is somehow objectively "right".

Again, I'll drag out my much maligned theory... We only respect the beliefs of others are compatible with our own.

revel

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 08:28 am
@Eorl,
I have never heard anyone arguing intolerance to be included into those which we should tolerant of before. I am not saying it is wrong, it just a novel way of lookig at it to me. Rather like someone accusing someone of bigoted because they don't like Asians (as just a randomly solicited example) and that person turning around and accusing that person of being bigoted against bigots. Kind of like "i know you are but what am I" kind of thing?

I truly mean no offense, and also I don't really have a big issue with atheist and agnostics and can even see how they would come to be atheist and agnostics. I am just more or less pointing out that intolerance is something pretty common among all of us including atheist and agnostics and others.
revel

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 09:04 am
@revel,
(didn't mean to write solicited, but just selected)
0 Replies

jesusBastard

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 09:26 pm
Intolerance is under-rated. A little intolerance can go a long way! Just think, if intolerance was related to pedophiles, the disease could be erradicated. We could kill all the perpetrators. Apply it to world hunger, and all the starving children in africa would be fed. Apply it to war, and we have peace.

I hate how the bible teaches forgiveness, as if that solves anything. If anything it encourages people to **** up. Forgiveness and Tolerance are not completely virtuous.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 09:29 pm
@jesusBastard,
good thing for you that the single mom thing blew over when it did, huh...

how's the cat?
0 Replies