So who's allowed to call themselves a christian?

ebrown p

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 04:09 pm
"Christian" is an ethnic description as well as a religious one. You can be an atheist Christian.

I don't take the virgin birth seriously, I don't expect Jesus to really come back, and I am not even sure He existed as a historical figure.

I was baptized. I have celebrated Christmas and Easter since I was born. We had passages from the Bible read at our wedding. I know the Bible stories and I know what it mans to be a Good Samaritan, to use a shibboleth or to get 30 pieces of silver.

I am as much a Christian as anyone.
JPB

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 04:14 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

I am as much a Christian as anyone.

works for me!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 04:35 pm
An elderly woman who I know takes great delight in saying I'm a "good Christian". I am alway quick to out out to her that I am a Buddhist. She just says, "well, you know what I mean".
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 05:17 pm
So did you guys have the cook out yet?
chai2

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 05:43 pm
@farmerman,
uh....we were only talking a few hours ago. besides it's cold this weekend. He's a very nice guy, I'm sure a good time will be had by all.

Set....you expressed exactly what I'm talking about in the first post you made.

It's like they are not asking who you are, but asking if you are like them.

Just like when I talking to someone I just met, I'll sometimes ask them if milk makes them fart.
Reyn

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 05:51 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
[...] Can one not believe in a miracle and simply state they believe in God? [...]

Yes, definitely. I believe this .... and I'm not a Christian.

I believe in "God", and I do not follow any recognized, formal religion.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 07:10 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Nietzsche also said "After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands."
I feel the same way after reading Time or Newsweek.

So do I.
Or after talking to a lawyer.
And yes, sometimes I feel that way after going to church. Fortunately, it's not often....but it happens. Usually when I run into some of those types that Set described. I generally avoid them.

Who's allowed to call themselves a Christian? As far as I'm concerned, anybody who wants to. Nobody appointed me the gatekeeper.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 07:13 pm
ROFLMAO!

The ad at the bottom of the page reads "100% CHRISTIAN"..."Meet Christians in Your City"..."Christians Join for FREE"!!!

Maybe we should ask them...how do they decide who pays?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 07:19 pm
Being a secular Jew, I have met many people that would claim they were very much "a Christian," whether Protestant, Catholic or Eastern Orthodox. The only folks that I think of as Christian are those that really live a Christian life. That eliminates many people, in my opinion. Christ never enjoyed watching a good football tackle, or murder mystery; am I explaining?

And, for those that are interested, as a Jew, I feel most comfortable with those that truly are Christians, in my mind. The rest are just the world's population of Gentiles, regardless of what they choose to self-identify. And, going to Church on Sunday and other important days, regardless of one's affiliation, is one of the criteria I look for to decide if I am in the presence of a Christian.

P.S. While not believing in the theology of Christianity, the teachings of Christ might just be a good way to live one's life regardless of one's religious affiliation or lack of one.
ebrown p

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 07:28 pm
@Foofie,
Being a secular Christian I have met many people that would claim they were very much "a Jew," whether Reform or Orthodox. The only folks that I think of as Jewish are those that really live a Jewish life. That eliminates many people, in my opinion. Moses never enjoyed watching a good football tackle, or murder mystery; am I explaining?

And, for those that are interested, as a Christian, I feel most comfortable with those that truly are Jewish, in my mind. The rest are just the world's population of non-Christians regardless of what they choose to self-identify. And, going to Synagogue on Saturday and other important days, regardless of one's affiliation, is one of the criteria I look for to decide if I am in the presence of a Jew.
Eva

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 07:30 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
...the teachings of Christ might just be a good way to live one's life regardless of one's religious affiliation or lack of one.

Speaking as a Christian, I agree...but it might also be a very good way to get kicked out of most churches. Remember, Christ didn't get along very well with religious leaders.

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 07:47 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Being a secular Christian I have met many people that would claim they were very much "a Jew," whether Reform or Orthodox. The only folks that I think of as Jewish are those that really live a Jewish life. That eliminates many people, in my opinion. Moses never enjoyed watching a good football tackle, or murder mystery; am I explaining?

And, for those that are interested, as a Christian, I feel most comfortable with those that truly are Jewish, in my mind. The rest are just the world's population of non-Christians regardless of what they choose to self-identify. And, going to Synagogue on Saturday and other important days, regardless of one's affiliation, is one of the criteria I look for to decide if I am in the presence of a Jew.

Touche.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 09:18 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Just like when I talking to someone I just met, I'll sometimes ask them if milk makes them fart.

A far more practical and relevant question than to what superstition one subscribes.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 11:03 am
There are various beliefs in what/who is a Christian (the baptism definition is only for Catholics):

To conservative Protestants, a Christian is often defined according to their salvation status. Their definition is "true" to them, because it agrees with some of their foundational beliefs: that the Bible is inerrant, that salvation is by grace, and that one must be "born-again" to be saved and avoid eternal punishment in Hell
To Roman Catholics, a Christian is often defined according to their baptism status. Their definition is "true" to them, because it agrees with their fundamental beliefs about the nature of sacrements, their understanding of the Bible, the declarations of many Church Councils, the statements of many popes, and their church's tradition.

To many in the very early Christian movement, a Christian was defined as a person who was baptized and proclaimed "Jesus is Lord." Their definition was "true" to them because it agreed with their understanding of their religious belief at a time when the Christian Scriptures (New Testament) had not yet been written and assembled.

And there are many others.

There is no consensus on what the "correct" definition of "Christian" is. There is only a near consensus within individual faith groups. Christians are those who regard themselves as being followers of Jesus even though they do not affiliate themselves with any particular religious group.

You can believe in God and not be Christian. Some Christian would say that Catholics are not Christian " I disagree. I think many do not believe Catholics are Christians because Catholics confess their sins to a priest (whereas most Christians confess directly to God) and Catholics believe in saints and many Christians believe this is worshipping idols.

And no, Christians do not have a monopoly on miracles. I would think that God would perform miracles on any person as we are all God’s children whether we believe or not. I heard many stories where those that are destitute and the worst people in society as far as morals and not Christians, are touched in some way by God. God will reach out to anyone who needs them even if they do not ask. A Christian should believe this especially where part of a Christian belief should have them to this.

Here is a great link that explains it, I think most thoroughly because it looks at different religions/faith groups.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_defn3.htm
chai2

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 11:19 am
@Linkat,
Linkat, you win the award for the best answer.
Linkat

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 11:23 am
@chai2,
Yeah!

I've actually used this website quite a bit for Bible information. It is a great source because it shows all different intrepretations.

Now what do I win!
chai2

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 11:52 am
Ok, this is getting off the subject now, but it's something else that's been bothering me since the conversation with C. that prompted this thread.

When I told Wally the story, and got to the part where the baby was born without a brain stem, he said "well, that's pretty fucked up right there."

That is pretty fucked up. Conjuring up the voice of God telling you the baby was going to live, in order to justify your guilty feelings and subsequent decision not to abort.

I'd already brought up what someone else had said, about the fact gods saying "this child will live" was later transferred over to someone else......So, would that have made it all right to abort the fetus in the first place, since God wasn't talking about that one?

Was think merely bad planning on God's part, speaking 15 or 16 years too soon? Or was it just a prank God was playing? "Gotcha! You thought I was talking about this "person" who can't think, breathe, keep its own heart beating, on it's own. Wow, you even went to all the lengths of toting up huge medical bills. You artificially kept alive this piece of meat that has the quality of life of a rock. Ha Ha."

I think God could have been a little more specific, or planned his revealation to this woman to occur a little later.

Then again, what do I know?

This is obviously a job for those who are able to interpret God's word.

And how would I know who can do that? Why, because they are the people who will tell us they can!!

Or, maybe, just maybe, this person wanted to hear God tell her this baby would live, that she convinced herself she did. Then she forced this organism to live for 10 long months to prove it.

Gee life's funny.
chai2

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 11:53 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Yeah!

I've actually used this website quite a bit for Bible information. It is a great source because it shows all different intrepretations.

Now what do I win!

http://www.travelbar.com/pics/spa_lobster/lobster-dinner-still.jpg
Linkat

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 12:20 pm
@chai2,
Often times, I think it is some one wishing so much for something to be true, they think they are hearing something. Or they want so much to hear it.

I don't think she was necessarily f*cked up - just think what you would have felt being pregnant and hearing that. It must have been her survival needs to deal with such a horrible situation. We all handle things differently (some better than others) and your hormones aren't the best as it is when preggers.
Linkat

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 12:21 pm
@chai2,
Oh man! Yummy! You know the way to my heart. Slurp!
0 Replies