How many books do you own?

hamburger

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 04:57 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan :
a sad but at the same time a very uplifting story !
yes , having your own library card is a big deal .
sometimes i do get books from the library simply to enjoy some great photography - even though i have never seen the places or objects - books have many pleasures .
hbg
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 12:55 pm
Ummm....we have books everywhere...shelves of books, stacks of books on tables, nightstands, armoires where there should be clothes, shelves made over doorways so that we can stack more books....AND we have a library in our 1881 home. I guess you could say we have thousands.

I have read my whole life and long before I went to school. I was painfully shy when I was young and we moved a lot. My second grade teacher was a horror, truly a horror, and she called on me to read one day and I opened my mouth to read and was so frightened that no sounds came out! She wrote a note to my mother that I couldn't read and that she wanted to have a conference with her so I could get remedial help!! My mother stormed up to the school and told her how she frightened me so much that I could not recite.

One of the many things that I share with my dear husband is the love of books...fiction, non-fiction, biographies, autobiographies, and history! I love history! I have been known to read pages in the dictionary for fun...weird, but good to know Fbaezer likes to also! I can't count how many I have read. I love to go to "What Book Are You Reading" on A2K and get more ideas. Ossobuco has given me many good tips and many others of you as well.

My favorite quote from Thomas Jefferson..."I cannot live without books."
I have to read a book in my hands. No kindles for me. Gotta touch books and hold them.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 01:35 pm
@Vietnamnurse,
Same with me, Vietnamnurse, a book in hand is a pleasure in itself.
0 Replies

marcusmachiavelli

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 10:35 am
How many books do I own? Good question, here in my apartment I have a huge book shelve with over 400 books. I own a lot of medical books, and back home I have over 100 books. I have a variety of books back home from spirituality to medicine. You name them, I got them.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 10:53 am
Hmmmm, I'm going to have MA count them. My love is art books. I shipped all my art books from Boston to Hawaii.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 07:35 pm
I really do not want now to be counting them. Only 3 actual bookcases still and then the shelves hanging on the wall are all full and books in back of books showing and books side laying on top of the ones showing. Used have books in the closets still in bags and on tables every where and...never yet mind I see there is a stack of them on the dresser top and some on the low shelf of the night table. and I think there are some stuck in drawers here and there. And then the ones in the cabinets.

An estimate rational would say under a thousand. Got rid of many of them which I had last year or the one before by leaving them some down stairs in the hallway and some on the brick wall around the corner in good weather and some in other places which were inside.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 09:39 pm
@kickycan,
The other day I did an inventory of my books I presently own so I could archive the titles into librarything.com http://www.librarything.com/catalog/tsarstepan
I came up with 113 total.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 12:03 am
Own: Not enough.

Read: Not enough.

Wonders if Soz remembers a PM from a couple of years ago....titled, 839 books.
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 12:24 am
@kickycan,
you don't own books they own you, burn them i say
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 01:57 am
@Vietnamnurse,
That's the real value of a real, paper and ink dictionary. Look up a word, and get trapped into reading a page or more.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:53 pm
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/collections.png
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 08:17 pm
There's a library a few blocks from my house. I went from 1000 books to....5

I had every John D McDonald paperback...at least 30 there.
0 Replies

Talos

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 10:29 am
@kickycan,
Currently I have about 1500. I've donated over 2000 to a local library.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 01:23 am
http://wondermark.com/c/2008-09-12-442books.gif
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 07:55 am
@tsarstepan,
Hah!
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 10:43 am
@ossobuco,
I really love that one comic strip!! I had cut this strip out of the Onion and had taped it up on the Refrigerator at my last job.

What a way to go! To drown in a sea of books! Very Happy
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 09:13 am
Groan! Far too many! Most are still in boxes following my move.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 09:24 am
Books are for queers.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 01:23 pm
Since I inherited my father's library and don't have enough place to store some dozens additional to mine ...

... about a dozen rare and old books will be auctioned next spring, some dozen are sold to antique shops, about 1,000 are donated to three archives and the local history society.

I've no idea what will happen to the others ....

(While looking "to get rid" of them, which really makes my heart bleed, I've learnt that even charities don't know what to do with old books but to send them to paper mills! [A large institution close to us, which gets even comlete libraries from deceased priests, sends 15 containers of books to the paper mill, per month!][And as an aside: you can get antique silver at antique shops for the current price of silver - too much on the market!])
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 01:57 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I am very sorry to read this. So many books getting destroyed, worldwide.