eoe

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 08:32 pm
roughly 600. maybe more.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 08:43 pm
@kickycan,
Looks like I'm alone here.

I think I have 8 books in the house. That includes stuff like dictionaries, thesaurus, mini-atlas, etc.

I don't collect books (or anything else, for that matter) and I don't look at the ones I have now. If I want to know something, I look it up on the internet.

By the way, I am a crosswords buff.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 08:44 pm
@Reyn,
Dang it, reyn; I expect you to get books on quantum physics and report to us in a week.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 09:10 pm
I have 10 floor to ceiling book shelves, of which 8 hold books (the others hold DVDS and videotapes). The book cases are all overflowing with books, with extra ones stacked above, so I would guess about 2000.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 09:19 pm
Books??? LOL And... how many 8-track tapes you own?

I suppose you folks still actually "dial" the telephone too.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 09:44 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

Holy ****, you people are bookaholics! Wow! I haven't got a lot of room. If I had a thousand books I'd have to move to a bigger apartment.

I'd HAVE a bigger apartment if I had less books.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 09:45 pm
between my wife and i, about a thousand.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 09:48 pm
I sold 500 books about ten years ago. Vowed I wouldn't let them take over again. I've managed to maintain some kind of control. I estimate somewhere between 200-300.
sakhi

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 11:58 pm
@kickycan,
I have about 400 books crammed into various bookshelves in our apartment ...I give away/gift/sell to second-hand-bookstores about 50 books every year.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 12:00 am
More than 2 thousand. I buy books all the time and read constantly.

90% of those books are fantasy and scifi, the rest literature and historical fiction.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 12:14 am
A shitload! (librarian gone bad!)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 01:03 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

I sold 500 books about ten years ago. Vowed I wouldn't let them take over again. I've managed to maintain some kind of control. I estimate somewhere between 200-300.

You're doing good.

They BREED in corners.
McTag

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 01:21 am

Lorra lorra books.

How many computers have you got? I've got three- two broken ones, and one old one.
BillRM

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 02:42 am
@McTag,
Let see two current laptops running xp in this home, with one old desk top running linux and one complete ti99 system and a few ti99 consoles laying around.

My wife have one laptop, three desk tops one running linux and a c-64 lying around somewhere in her home.
aidan

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 03:09 am
@BillRM,
I have about 100 I've kept - all in boxes. I'm a library kind of girl - even for periodicals -magazines. I refuse to add to the desecration of the planet - more paper - more ink - WHY? But I can't read a book over and over again - just like I can't watch movies over and over again - too many books to read - too many movies to watch to obsess on just a few - besides I get bored easily.
I haven't bought a book in years - mostly because I don't think anything that would be precious to me is even being written anymore. If anyone knows of a modern classic that's been written in the last few years- fill me in. I think even people like Toni Morrison peaked years ago.

So, I only own and keep books that are precious to me for one reason or another. The only books I have unpacked at this house are my dictionary and my thesaurus.
But I go to the library at least once a week.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 03:11 am
Here at my home it's about 800 to 1,000. And then I own my (late) father's library, more than 5,000 books.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 03:12 am
@kickycan,
I reckon around 250-300 books - 99% hardback - every Patricia Cornwell, John Grisham, forensic thrillers blah blah. Ex-hub took close onto 500- 600 when we split way back when- and I had to get rid of loads when I moved last year. Got a few cooking books - in a box - in the loft - HA! Very Happy

Not sure why I keep them the ones I've read - don't read a book twice - whereas ex used to read his sci-fi books over and over again. Have a couple of hand made bookcases which are lovely - the books all sit there quite contentedly. Every so often, someone will come to the house

All my sons' books (hundreds upon hundreds), jigsaws, pictures and educ toys are taken to my school and fill up the library. Weird seeing all the kids playing with their stuff over the years. Nice tho. Kept the special books tho.

Collected Nat Geog mags - hundreds - gave them all to the docs surgery. Started a new subscription in January - here we go again...

BillRM

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 03:20 am
@Izzie,
I just read that the average cost of a book in the late 1700's was half of a year wages for the average working man!

I also have some engineering magazines from the 1870 or so period with a cover price of 5 dollars!!!!! A few weeks wages at a guess for the average worker of that time period.
Izzie

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 03:20 am
@Izzie,
oops... interrupted
Izzie wrote:

Every so often, someone will come to the house

and take one or two and they get passed around the family/friends.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 03:54 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Roberta wrote:

You're doing good.

They BREED in corners.

No money to buy new ones. But there are new ones. Sometimes I get copies of the books I work on--whether I want them or not.

I have many reference books for my work. Six dictionaries, a thesaurus, a Bartlett's, medical reference, grammar and usage, and on and on. A friend convinced me to get rid of a 24-volume set of the Encyclopedia Britannica--with dozens of yearbooks. I don't need it, but I miss it.
0 Replies