Is anyone watching the Sarah Connor Chronicles on TV

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 11:51 pm
@MontereyJack,
I think their leap of faith was Thelma and Louise leaping over the grand canyon.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 02:03 am
Jeez, you know it just occurred to me that the Terminator franchise and BSG aren't all that different. We build the intelligent self-aware robots in each and enslave them and they get too smart and rebel and give us hell. And the Cylon centurions of BSG aren't all that dissimilar from the metal Terminators. Given the BSG mantra "This all happened before, this all will happen again" and the Terminator time machine it ought to be possible to merge the two series. The terminators we create use their time machine for a REALLY big jump into the past and space and become the Cylons/ Or something like that. Ha, that'll teach SciFi to cancel SC--think of all the bucks they'll lose when the two backstories merge and all the fans transfer to the new Termilons.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 09:30 am
@MontereyJack,
Ha, Termilons. That's good Smile
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 09:42 am
@MontereyJack,
Most sci-fi films are still drawn out of the old space opera days, not serious writing. There were two versions of "1984" and one satirical on the screen and a television movie. You can count seriously themed sci-fi movies without running out of fingers. Of course, "2001: A Space Odyssey," the original "The Day the Earth Stood Still," the vintage "Metropolis," and "Blade Runner" take up four fingers. The first "Terminator" was drawn from more serious sci-fi and virtually turned into a horror flick romp. The second elaborated on the theme. The third was a waste -- much like "Matrix Revolutions," with a rather obvious resolution. The writers and producers just can't believe any of the audience has any imagination whatsoever and have to draw it all out. You know why -- the demographic of the teeny-bopper buying the most cineplex tickets, including the family night at the movies where the snack bar really cleans up,

I'm not sure with their blowing the third film, and it did poorly at the box office, it would be one of my fingers. Here's AFI's Top Ten List:

#1 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
Story follows the ascent of mankind into the near-future space age through minimalist performances and a strong visual style.

#2 STAR WARS: EPISODE IV - A NEW HOPE

#3 E.T. - THE EXTRA TERRESTRIAL

#4 A CLOCKWORK ORANGE
Based on Anthony Burgess's disturbing novel about England in the totalitarian future, Malcolm McDowell portrays Alex, a Beethoven-loving, head-bashing punk who leads his gang.

#5 THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
An alien dignitary comes to Earth to learn why humans can't stop warrings amongst each other.

#6 BLADE RUNNER
An ex cop comes out of retirement in order to hunt down androids who are being reproduced for purpose of slavery.

#7 ALIEN

#8 TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY

#9 INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS
Mistaken for insane, a man arrives in San Francisco to inform the world that strange aliens have arrived on earth to overtake human life.

#10 BACK TO THE FUTURE

I left off the descriptive material from what I consider as not serious sci-fi, even if technologically faithful to hard science (T2 could replace what I might have as #10). The liquid metal Terminators are in the league with "beam me up, Scotty" teleportation, thoroughly fantastical science, but they are entertaining as threatening monsters. Of course, SCC had a plot twist at the end with the liquid metal cyborg, but it wasn't all that different from Ahnold in Terminator II (walking into the theater, the producers and writers offered the audience a "good" cyborg who terminated the "bad" cyborgs instead of humans).

I've got qualms about T4 -- John D. Brancato and Michael Ferris, collaborative screenwriters, are responsible for T3 (borderline yuck), "The Net" (yuck) and "Catwoman (yuck, maybe double or triple yuck)."

0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 09:54 am
It's not coming up on Google, but I think there were two American TV productions of "1984," the live one I know about was a Studio One production on CBS. The BBC seems to have had two productions.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 10:01 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
If so, was there to be an Eve ?

Still looking for hot chicks huh? I'm tellin' ya try Dollhouse.
But if that's too "gritty" for you, you might have to resort
to Hanna Montana or something like that.

I 'll see if I can find the Dollhouse.
In a worst case scenario, I can mute it.

Another one that I liked and continue to like, is
The Dead Zone, starring Nicole de Boer.
I really enjoy looking at her face; I DO.

There was not much science involved -- some folks 'd call it fantasy,
but I liked regardless.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 10:19 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Yes, they arrived 150K years ago and saw a bunch of what would have been early modern humans walking single file across the plain. As I recall in the voice over, the idea was that they went out sans advanced technology and mated with the indigenes and that's what gave us that push toward developing the wonderful world of today. In the epilog ("150,000 years later") the headline in the papers on the newstand was something like "DNA Tests Reveal Scientists Find Ancient Eve", which is paleoarchaeologically and paleogenetically pretty absurd, but the science we know does say that around 150,000 years ago there was a population crunch, and we're all of us descended from one very small population of ancient humans, and it's hypothesized from examinations of mitochondrial DNA that everyone alive today had a common ancestral woman from around that time. So, yes, they did have an "Eve" in BSG, but she didn't actually appear, and Adama probably didn't mate with her. Presumably she was one of the Galactica settlers.

The new BSG was saddled with some fairly silly astrological and mythological overtones from the first series: the 12 colonies, "Caprica", "Sagitarrion", but at least they sort of resolved that, if you consider that they survived as some sort of legendary memory 146000 years or so til the Babylonians and Greeks started astologizing. Which is a pretty far leap of faith.

Thank u for that information, Jack.

So thay were able to mate; that requires a lot of genetic similarity.
Did the storyline include any indication of the origin of the indigenous humans on Earth ?

Was there said to have been any pre-existing relationship
between them and Admiral Adama 's countrymen ?

I had caught a few inconclusive snippets along the way;
I was just wondering whether thay had any common origin or not ?

Was any effort made to connect the spacemen
to the citizens of Mt. Olympus ?

David
DrewDad

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 12:10 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Did the storyline include any indication of the origin of the indigenous humans on Earth ?

"God made it that way."

OmSigDAVID wrote:
Was there said to have been any pre-existing relationship between them and Admiral Adama 's countrymen ?

No

OmSigDAVID wrote:
I had caught a few inconclusive snippets along the way;
I was just wondering whether thay had any common origin or not ?

Was any effort made to connect the spacemen to the citizens of Mt. Olympus ?

No.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 12:47 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

"God made it that way."

The resolutions offered in the last episode of Galactica were just absurd. I prefer to pretend that the last episode never even happened.

rosborne979

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 01:16 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
The resolutions offered in the last episode of Galactica were just absurd. I prefer to pretend that the last episode never even happened.

Here's how I would have ended it:
1. Instead of landing on a primitive Earth of 150k years ago, they could have landed on a far future Earth which had returned to a primitive state because of the downfall of an immense pre-existing civilization (which would obviously have given rise to the colonists who eventually came to be on Caprica).
This would have given the Galacticans the same world to settle on with the same "return to nature" options, but would have explained the genetic similarity between the Earth people and Galactica people. They could even have created sequels by having the Galacticans slowly discover the ancient history and civilization which vanished on Earth. Lots of good sci-fi could have been gleaned from that.
2. Obviously Kara should have been a cylon who was resurrected after flying into the nebula. Finding her burned body and ship could have been explained away as a previous version of her from her line of "models", and not the actual one that died in the nebula.
3. The music which bound all the final five could have been explained away as an ancient embedded signal from the now vanished civilization on Earth (since we know that music is from our own culture).
4. Baltar's visions could also have been explained away simply by making him another cylon. In previous episodes they hinted that there were more than five final cylons anyway, so they had already planted the seed for that.

Let's see, what else can I explain ...

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 01:19 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

"God made it that way."

The resolutions offered in the last episode of Galactica were just absurd.
I prefer to pretend that the last episode never even happened.

Thank u.

IF my memory of this is not scrambled
(I apologize if it is)
at one point, thay sought to find a "lost tribe" ?

Were our ancestors (pre-mating with them) said in the end to be any such "lost tribe" ?

Just curious.

David
DrewDad

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 01:23 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
The "lost tribe" was a colony of Cylons on a different "Earth" that managed to destroy themselves through nuclear war.

Then they found our "Earth" and decided to call it that as well.

Total cop-out.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 03:07 pm
@rosborne979,
"rosborne979" wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
The resolutions offered in the last episode of Galactica were just absurd.
I prefer to pretend that the last episode never even happened.

Quote:
Here's how I would have ended it:
1. Instead of landing on a primitive Earth of 150k years ago, they could have landed on a far future Earth which had returned to a primitive state because of the downfall of an immense pre-existing civilization (which would obviously have given rise to the colonists who eventually came to be on Caprica).
This would have given the Galacticans the same world to settle on with the same "return to nature" options, but would have explained the genetic similarity between the Earth people and Galactica people. They could even have created sequels by having the Galacticans slowly discover the ancient history and civilization which vanished on Earth. Lots of good sci-fi could have been gleaned from that.
2. Obviously Kara should have been a cylon who was resurrected after flying into the nebula. Finding her burned body and ship could have been explained away as a previous version of her from her line of "models", and not the actual one that died in the nebula.
3. The music which bound all the final five could have been explained away as an ancient embedded signal from the now vanished civilization on Earth (since we know that music is from our own culture).
4. Baltar's visions could also have been explained away simply by making him another cylon. In previous episodes they hinted that there were more than five final cylons anyway, so they had already planted the seed for that.

Let's see, what else can I explain ...

Please bear in mind that except for little and few snippets,
I did not see the 2nd series of Battlestar G. (because of the dreaded grit).
Hence, I am ignorant of probably 98% of it; (but still, I remain curious).

Another way to end up, possibly,
instead of their finding a ruined, old, civilization here:
thay land on Earth whose technology is advanced far beyond
the civilization of Admiral Adama, and which is more than a match
for the Cylon enemy, who need no longer be feared, inasmuch
as the Admiral 's guys repose in the security of our superpower.

To MY mind, sci-fi is much more fun when invested with power for the good guys
and optimism. I wanna see new, ez power, comfort, luxury, wealth, cleverness, n really beautiful chicks.
I think looking at old ruins of our own civilization
is depressing to the point that I change the channel, looking for something better.

When the first TV series of Battlestar Gallactica started,
American TV had fallen into the grip of perverted, politically correct mothers
who alleged that their children were being turned into frenzied homocidal maniacs by violence on TV.
Thay wanted censorship of anyone getting killed on TV.
It was horrible. A few murderers tried to get away with it by blaming TV.
In that sociological environment, Battlestar Gallactica arrived,
wherein only metalic robots were getting destroyed in battle.
The moms coud tolerate non-living machines getting wrecked.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 03:10 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

The "lost tribe" was a colony of Cylons on a different "Earth" that managed to destroy themselves through nuclear war.

Then they found our "Earth" and decided to call it that as well.

Total cop-out.

I see; thank u.

Machines went to war with one another.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2009 11:31 am
From Entertainment Weekly:

Scoop: Fox set to terminate 'Sarah Connor Chronicles'

Apr 14, 2009, 03:56 PM | by Michael Ausiello

Resist the urge to nuke the messenger, but multiple sources are telling me that Fox will not be renewing Terminator: The (Summer Glau) Sarah Connor Chronicles for a third season.

"It's done," maintains a source close to the show. "Everyone has pretty much known for a couple of weeks." Adds a network insider: "Consider it canceled."

The one bright spot? Despite horrific ratings, Fox isn't ready to declare SCC dead and buried -- at least not officially. "No decision has been made yet," insists a network rep. "We will be announcing our fall schedule on May 18."

Rough translation: It won't be back.

Oh, I just thought of one other bright spot: At least the show went out on top creatively. Last Friday's finale was an action-packed, closure-filled triumph. The only thing left unresolved is what Summer Glau will do for an encore. I'm thinking 24 should hire her as next season's Big Bad.

0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2009 11:37 am
However, there could be hope:

http://io9.com/5213470/dollhouse-and-terminator-really-not-canceled-yet-say-insiders

It wasn't just the Friday night slot, but the online viewing had really gone up but there's no way to tell if it is repeat viewing.

rosborne979

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2009 03:50 pm
@Lightwizard,
Don't tease me.
Lightwizard

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2009 04:40 pm
@rosborne979,
I'm almost always teasing.

There wasn't an overwhelming commitment there -- maybe they want to see how "Terminator Salvation" is doing. If SCC isn't sold to syndication, like the Sci-Fi Channel, FX, HDNet or others and re-runs start appearing, if not next week, a few weeks from now -- that could be an indication it is coming back. This could be a shake-up of the production company and staff. Same thing happened with "Smallville."
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 05:16 am
More rumors about TSalvation and Arnold, including the comment that the movie is a "prequel" to the series. If true, that would meant that at least part of this film will take place in the future, "before" Arnold (the first terminator) is sent back to 1984 to kill Sarah Connor.

Who did the screenplay and story for TS, anyone know if they have a good reputation for this type of film?
Lightwizard

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 11:03 am
@rosborne979,
Director listed as "McG" a kind of affected pseudonym nickname for
Joseph McGinty Nichol who directed:

# "Chuck" (1 episode, 2007) (It's gotten better this season)
- Pilot (2007) TV episode
# We Are Marshall (2006) (Matthew McConaughey, Matthew Fox football mediocre movie)
# The Offspring Complete Music Video Collection (2005) (V) (videos "Pretty Fly [For a White Guy]" and "Why Don't You Get a Job?")
# Dan Finnerty & the Dan Band: I Am Woman (2005) (TV)
# Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (2003) (more Crap)
# "Fastlane" (1 episode, 2002)
- Pilot (2002) TV episode
# Cypress Hill: Still Smokin' (2001) (V) (videos "Illusions" and "Throw Your Hands In The Air")
... aka Cypress Hill: Still Smokin' - The Ultimate Video Collection (USA: reissue title)
# Charlie's Angels (2000) (Crap)
... aka 3 Engel für Charlie (Germany)

I thought I already posted this but the writer is John D. Broncato who was responsible for "The Others," "The Net," "Catwoman" and a bunch of TV shows. "The Others" was a wannabe "I see ghosts," "The Net" a mediocre thriller and "Catwoman," well you win an Oscar and the offered a lot of bilge for big money.

I think Terminator fans are now in deep ****. I don't think it's going to be a prequel but a death knell for the series unless this motley crew all-of-a-sudden become what they are obviously not.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 06:18:46