Is anyone watching the Sarah Connor Chronicles on TV

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 12:17 pm
@rosborne979,
By what seems purposefully, they SSC basically went into "Terminator Salvation" territory even if there's no borrowing from SSC, which is unlikely. SSC would have a problem steering clear of TS' territory now -- there's really no "going back." Not the same producers, so it's more believable that there's no clue for the SSC writers as to what is in the entire storyline of TS. It may have Sarah Conner show up in the future.
Except within Hollywood, there are very few secrets between cliques and there could easily have been some dialogue between the two productions through any number of writers, cast and crew.

The final episode was rather like "The Sopranos" where they left what happens next dangling in the air. Will TS have a final resolution of the machines being conquered? Even so, would it follow the ending of the classic Kurt Vonnegut "Player Piano" which was also man against machine, the final pages showing that man is a creature of habit and will begin re-inventing machines just like they have been re-inventing gods.

0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 12:23 pm
@Lightwizard,
Omsig's record is stuck in a yelling "no grit" groove (we heard you and don't need to be shouted at). You're like the drunk at the bar who raises his voice in an alpha, "You all have to hear me, I've got the only important thing to say.") I didn't see all that much grit in SSC -- in fact, I think it became over-glamorized immediately after they hired Brian Austin Green, going for viewer appeal of good-looking actors. Hey, and it was basically a happy ending except for the continued battle against the machines -- the super cyborg turned out to be on their side and saved them from a bad terminator.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 12:53 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
and I lost Donna Douglas.

I always thought thay shoud have called it The Donna Douglas Show.

I detect a trend here. I think you should be watching Dollhouse.

Thanks for the tip.
I 'll give it a shot.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 01:07 pm
@Lightwizard,
"Lightwizard" wrote:
Quote:
Omsig's record is stuck in a yelling "no grit" groove (we heard you and don't need to be shouted at).
You're like the drunk at the bar who raises his voice in an alpha,
"You all have to hear me, I've got the only important thing to say.")

OK, OK: I 'll knock it off,
with the understanding that I AM AGAINST GRIT,
but I am willing to exchange it for HAPPY n EXULTANT ENDINGS.

Quote:

I didn't see all that much grit in SSC -- in fact, I think it became
over-glamorized immediately after they hired Brian Austin Green,
going for viewer appeal of good-looking actors.

Thay shoud DO that, to promote n propagate beauty,
as to chicks, anyway.

David

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 01:51 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
It was an uplifting ending to the series considering they were trying not give away that it was the final episode. It was only unhappy that it was the series end as it had just begun to build structure. Tragic endings are not always unhappy and are uplifting because of the resolution. It's often that unhappy fate can turn into happy providence if one doesn't set themselves up to fall. "Atonement" was that kind of a film -- the characters, especially one of the central female figures, make mistakes based on unbridled or mistaken emotion and finally, the one left with the guilt strives for what retribution can be mustered. If one is just consistently in a depressed mood, they need fluffy, sticking sentimentality just like a drug. Trouble is, those stories are usually shallow, romanticized tripe.

You're still shouting, just not as loudly. I wouldn't expect someone with a gun a their holster to be at least a bit humble and figure people won't notice or can't read what's being stated in standard type face.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 01:56 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
That's a good recommendation except it can get gritty. It's also another alpha female like SCC. I think what Omsig is getting to is happiness brought on by beautiful, sexy women, hopefully getting naked at some point. He's confusing a hard-on with happiness, which is only a very short, transitory happiness if there's someone there to help him out, or at least a good talented hand attached to his arm. I suppose he loves chick flicks over action films which are almost always gritty.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 10:05 pm
Quote:
Will TS have a final resolution of the machines being conquered?

Now that's an easy one: the answer is "no". There is no resolution in a world with time travel, because someone will screw with the timeline -- and with any resolution achieved therein.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 10:08 pm
Of course there won't be a final resolution with the machines being conquered. How could they film Terminator 5, the Sequel, if they did that?
Lightwizard

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 07:03 am
@MontereyJack,
In destroying the machine, that would include all the time traveling machines. John Conner would probably keep one (remember "Player Piano") for his own use but he could get romantically involved and be excited to built a new human controlled world. But would he and those around him be able to stop the quest for technology and start the whole thing all over again? Like "Player Piano," the first machine to get into operation would be a vending machine.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 07:32 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Of course there won't be a final resolution with the machines being conquered. How could they film Terminator 5, the Sequel, if they did that?

I don't expect to see any complete resolution of the Skynet war, partly because I think they want sequels, and partly because I just don't expect them to solve the age-old problem of putting the Genie back in the bottle. I think they will win the battle but not the war, and I think the machines will continue to evolve into new forms which will offer lots of questions and challenges for the future.

The theme of "how humans interact with their creations/machines" hits too close to reality for any Sci-Fi show to completely resolve it. Just as with The Matrix and Blade Runner and countless others, I think we will be seeing this theme played out in different variations forever (our fiction is a way of exploring possibilities and preparing ourselves for what may become reality).

0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 08:15 am
Excepting that Blade Runner's Replicants were androids, not cyborgs. There were several scenes in the movie that showed the process or creating a replicant as more of an art than science. There are no sequels to Blade Runner and as many times it's been cut, then reassembled, in three new cuts (the latest on Blu-Ray being "The Final Cut."), I don't think a sequel will emerge.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 01:55 pm
If I may inquire on this point:
I was interested as to whether Battlestar G.
was going to have Adama be "the first man" on Earth.

If so, was there to be an Eve ?

I remember that on the original Battlestar G. series,
the pilots of the fighters wore helmets that looked a lot Egyptian.
I was wondering if thay 'd do something with that.

Will anyone enlighten me ?

David
DrewDad

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 04:03 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

No, they did not.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 04:12 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

No, they did not.

I remember that thay did,
in the first TV series, with Lorne Greene.
I was struck by that fact.

I figured that thay were preparing to do something with that;
paving the way.

David
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 04:46 pm
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:

Excepting that Blade Runner's Replicants were androids, not cyborgs. There were several scenes in the movie that showed the process or creating a replicant as more of an art than science. There are no sequels to Blade Runner and as many times it's been cut, then reassembled, in three new cuts (the latest on Blu-Ray being "The Final Cut."), I don't think a sequel will emerge.

I agree, no sequel for that classic.

But it's the AI theme in general that I was talking about, not the physical form that the machines take.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 04:52 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Still looking for hot chicks huh? I'm tellin' ya try Dollhouse. But if that's too "gritty" for you, you might have to resort to Hanna Montana or something like that.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 05:58 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Still looking for hot chicks huh? I'm tellin' ya try Dollhouse. But if that's too "gritty" for you, you might have to resort to Hanna Montana or something like that.

Was there to be an Eve on Earth
on Battlestar Gallactica for the finale ?
rosborne979

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 06:19 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Was there to be an Eve on Earth on Battlestar Gallactica for the finale ?

Probably not. But who knows. The final episode of Battlestar Gallactica was such a mishmash of metaphysics and pseudoscience that it wouldn't have mattered.

In the end they gave up even attempting to make sense of all the mysteries they had constructed and instead tried to bamboozle the audience with angels and demons. Not an auspicious ending to such a marvelous series.

Having said that, perhaps it's better that the Sarah Connor Chronicles ended where it did, before it had a chance to paint itself into a corner.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 09:59 pm
@rosborne979,
"rosborne979" wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Was there to be an Eve on Earth on Battlestar Gallactica for the finale ?

Quote:
Probably not. But who knows. The final episode of Battlestar Gallactica was such a mishmash of metaphysics and pseudoscience that it wouldn't have mattered.

In the end they gave up even attempting to make sense of all the mysteries they had constructed and instead tried to bamboozle the audience with angels and demons. Not an auspicious ending to such a marvelous series.

I see; I am grateful for that information.

I tried to watch it to find out if thay were going to make Adama
"the first man" on Earth, but I just coud not take it; very unpleasant.

I did catch a glimpse of Adama, sitting on a hill speaking to a grave,
but I did not know whether an Eve was involved (or an Eva for Adama).

In the story,
were there any indigenous humans on Earth 150,000 years ago ?

I briefly saw Gaius (sp ??)
walking thru Manhattan, was it, around now with a chick,
whereas Adama was back 150,000 years ago.

What u described, sounds to me like disloyalty to the audience:
violation of a fiduciary relationship.

David
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 10:20 pm
Yes, they arrived 150K years ago and saw a bunch of what would have been early modern humans walking single file across the plain. As I recall in the voice over, the idea was that they went out sans advanced technology and mated with the indigenes and that's what gave us that push toward developing the wonderful world of today. In the epilog ("150,000 years later") the headline in the papers on the newstand was something like "DNA Tests Reveal Scientists Find Ancient Eve", which is paleoarchaeologically and paleogenetically pretty absurd, but the science we know does say that around 150,000 years ago there was a population crunch, and we're all of us descended from one very small population of ancient humans, and it's hypothesized from examinations of mitochondrial DNA that everyone alive today had a common ancestral woman from around that time. So, yes, they did have an "Eve" in BSG, but she didn't actually appear, and Adama probably didn't mate with her. Presumably she was one of the Galactica settlers.

The new BSG was saddled with some fairly silly astrological and mythological overtones from the first series: the 12 colonies, "Caprica", "Sagitarrion", but at least they sort of resolved that, if you consider that they survived as some sort of legendary memory 146000 years or so til the Babylonians and Greeks started astologizing. Which is a pretty far leap of faith.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 06:41:57