Is anyone watching the Sarah Connor Chronicles on TV

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2009 11:44 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
Did u like Back to The Future ?

Quote:
Yes, I liked Back To the Future. That's why I said, "I like The Wizard of Oz too,
but I don't consider it science fiction". My point was that Back to the Future
was an enjoyable movie, but it isn't science fiction (to me).

Will u reveal your reasoning as to Y
it was not science fiction to u ?

Quote:

Perhaps there are a lot of subtleties in the Sarah Connor Chronicles
and other more serious sci-fi shows which you are missing
(just as you missed the reference above). That would explain
why you aren't enjoying them (if you're missing much of the sub plot).

I think that is very possible and probable.

My seeing the grit, dirt, hearing the annoying hollow sound of metal clanging,
being shown burned electric wires, seeing defeat and destitution all around
makes it like tedious, unpleasant work to watch the show, before I reach
the point of ending it with rejection. I don 't wanna be unhappy.
I don 't watch TV to become afflicted with misery
because I don t see enuf ugly n repulsive things in the real world.
I am not a masochist.
I desire to see and hear BEAUTY ALL OVER; I desire joy, elation, euforia, fonetic spelling,
delite, good luck, wealth, success with good things, not the opposite.
I desire those in both the real world, and in my entertainment.

I have walked out on movies in the middle when thay were so offensively bad
that I coud endure no more; TV shows too (not walking, but using my remote control defensively).

David
DrewDad

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 06:48 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
I desire to see and hear BEAUTY ALL OVER; I desire joy, elation, euforia,

Why the eff are you watching TV, then?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 01:26 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
I desire to see and hear BEAUTY ALL OVER; I desire joy, elation, euforia,

Why the eff are you watching TV, then?

BEAUTY is freely to be found in many places,
including my 7 foot Hi Definition TV.
It gives me mind blowing pictures.
I told my friend, Marty, over dinner: u don 't look as real as my HDTV.
I have a Bose system for the sound.

A lot depends on the programing tho.

Have u ever seen Natalie Dormer in Hi Def ?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 09:56 am
@dyslexia,
The writers of a scripted series have usually written movies where they do, or do not succeed, in fleshing out real characters. In a series, the characters are overshadowed by the storyline and the introduction of sub-plots and new characters over the first season. SSC did pretty well shaping and bringing to life the main characters -- the cyborgs were just cyborgs with no personality. Now even the cyborgs are developing unique characteristics even though not much personality. You'd have to watch every episode from the beginning and I have to say, the main characters have been sufficiently drawn but some of the supporting additions (and subtractions) are not given much of a unique personality. Hey, that's like real life, isn't it? I've even met people who do seem to be robots. Mainly my right-wing wealthy customers, but so?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 10:18 am
"Back to the Future" was only superficially a sci-fi flick and an homage to Frank Capra, very much resembling "It's a Wonderful Life" but without the time travel, of course. It's great fun on a teeny-booper emotional level with state-of-the-art special effects which earned an Oscar, but only nominated in technical categories and the screenplay, which did successfully evoke a sentimentality about one's high school days without getting too mushy. The time travel part of the story was drawn out of old sci-fi pulp but was carried off brilliantly, mainly because of Christopher Lloyd, the most endearing mad scientist in film (although he was more eccentric than mad). BTTF II had a long, very gritty and amoral, section in the alternate world part of the story.

III was a wild west story with the same thematic material as the first two.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 11:43 am
@Lightwizard,
"Lightwizard" wrote:
Quote:
"Back to the Future" was only superficially a sci-fi flick and an homage to Frank Capra,
very much resembling "It's a Wonderful Life" but without the time travel,
of course. It's great fun on a teeny-booper emotional level with
state-of-the-art special effects which earned an Oscar,
but only nominated in technical categories and the screenplay,
which did successfully evoke a sentimentality about one's high school days
without getting too mushy. The time travel part of the story was drawn out of old sci-fi pulp
but was carried off brilliantly, mainly because of Christopher Lloyd,
the most endearing mad scientist in film (although he was more eccentric than mad).

Candor moves me to admit
that tho I may be older, fatter n uglier than I used to be,
I still remain the kid of single digit age, inside looking out.

I applaud with great enthusiasm the work of Christopher Lloyd,
who is FANTASTIC in EVERYTHING that he does.
He is indeed endearing; a uniquely talented artist.

Note, incidentally, that sci-fi pulp is OK by me.
I still have hundreds of comic books from the 1940s n 1950s.
Many of them, for which I paid a nickle or a dime,
now command hundreds of $$, but I don 't believe that I 'll ever sell them.

David
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 11:18 am
Pulp sci-fi was not especially in comic books -- the magazines were Amazing Stories but especially Thrilling Wonder Stories and Startling Stories. Astounding Science Fiction, which was renamed in the late 50's as Analog, Galaxy and later, If, were digest size serious sci-fi periodicals. A story along the lines of "Back to the Future" would never appear in the serious sci-fi zines -- it was based on bits-and-pieces of the mad scientist, time travel pulp zines and dime novels. It didn't even take itself seriously, so as escapism entertainment, it's fun for the two hours it takes to watch it. Other than that, if one's life is so bad they need to only need to be coddled by teenage level entertainment and reject the rest, I'd tell them to get a life. Beauty is still in the eye of the beholder. A beautiful story, TV series or film can be gritty, true-to-life drama even if it has a sci-fi backdrop. "Atonement" had it's beautiful opening romance, then the darkness of an obsessive jealousy, then went through the grittiness of war ending with Dunkirk, and a tragic ending (with, fortunately, a spirit of redemption). Blade Runner, in the sci-fi league, was from one of sci-fi's best writers, Philip K. Dick, who has had more films made from his books than any other sci-fi author. It is even grittier than SCC, but in a mesmerizing film noir storyline, and, thanks to a determined director, was finally released without the tacked on happy ending which ruined the first release.

If someone expects everything to be happy, gilded, fluff in their movies and TV series, I'd say they have a Pollyanna complex.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 07:39 pm
@Lightwizard,
now watching my second episode, getting interesting.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 07:41 pm
So the eel was part of the T-1001. I didn't see that one coming Smile

dyslexia

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 07:52 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

So the eel was part of the T-1001. I didn't see that one coming Smile

some odd gams.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 07:53 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

now watching my second episode, getting interesting.

Did you start from the beginning of the first season, or are you just picking it up with the current episodes?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 07:56 pm
bitch!
dyslexia

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 08:03 pm
man if I had a 7 ft screen this would be a totally awesome program, if it was prettier and nicer and more pleasant.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 08:08 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
bitch!

Be careful who you're calling a bitch. Wink
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 08:09 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
man if I had a 7 ft screen this would be a totally awesome program, if it was prettier and nicer and more pleasant.

Yeh, it if was just a bit prettier then we wouldn't have to be distracted by all that darn subplot and nuance.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 08:18 pm
I thought this was a fantastic season finale. This show doesn't seem to get stuck in one place for too long, it moves along, closing/confirming plot lines and opening new ones.

They've really changed the timeline now. The future John Connor doesn't exist in this line, but the skynet war still rages.

Did anyone notice the similarity of the shot with [future] Cameron sitting next to the Dog at the end of the show. It's almost a duplicate to the photo of Sarah Connor sitting next to the dog from the original film, the same photo that led Kyle Reese to go back in time to meet Sarah. And while they were composing the Cameron/Dog shot, Kyle Reese was meeting his son from a different timeline.

They've really messed up the timelines now. I hope season three doesn't get too convoluted and paint itself into a corner. I can endure a little bit of accidental paradox in time travel shows as poetic license, but just a little.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 08:46 pm
This last episode revealed so much that I'm still putting the pieces together.

In the middle of the show, Catherine sent Ellison to ask Cameron "will you join us". Cameron doesn't answer, but clearly recognizes the question, the end result of which is that she goes to John Henry (while pretending to have intentions of terminating him) and instead sacrifices her own CPU to him, and he promptly time-travels, presumably to the future. So the question is, "why"?

Now that he's in the future, the young John Connor will obviously fall in love with Allison (before the cyborg kills her and mimic's her). This show has been aching to put John and Cameron together all season, but they couldn't do it because network television just isn't ready for teenage boys to be boinking hot cyborgs (the closest they could get was the "put your hand on my mechanical heart", topless surgery scene). But now that they are both human, I predict different results.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 09:55 pm
@rosborne979,
Can someone explain to me why cyborgs wear support garments?
rosborne979

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 08:44 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Can someone explain to me why cyborgs wear support garments?

What, you don't like them?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 09:19 am
Season 3 of Sarah Connor Chronicles is at risk because FoxTV has not set for production yet. If you want to vote to keep it going, go here:
http://ca.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b117753_save_one_show_help_your_fave_see.html
I'm hoping that a big success with Terminator:Salvation at the theaters will urge FoxTV to continue the series.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 11:52:04