What Kind of Laptop Is Best and ...

Monger

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:15 am
It's not like you'll likely have heaps of trouble with it or anything Gautam, it's just that when there is trouble it can be difficult to fix.

But they're damn cool.

IBM and HP pretty much define industry standard so I like them because you know there won't be anything quirky in them like non-standard parallel ports or any number of other weird things other manufacturers do from time to time. I love Dell though & agree with Craven that they often give the best bang/buck.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:18 am
Yeah, I have to admit - they are mucho cool - specially the new black onyx or whatever screen they have built.

And since we are talking on the subkject of Vaios - this one comes with a DVD writer - does that mean I can copy DVDs (like movies) ?
0 Replies

zrock

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 11:15 am
Gautam wrote:

And since we are talking on the subkject of Vaios - this one comes with a DVD writer - does that mean I can copy DVDs (like movies) ?

The Sony "Click to DVD" software allows you to burn home movies and digital files onto a DVD. You can also buy software to burn "backup" copies of your DVD's.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 11:50 am
I'm with Fishin - DELL is #1
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 12:43 pm
Am I the only 1 who can build a laptop or something? lol Dell does make things inexpensive for someone who doesn't wanna build their own.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 01:40 pm
I have both a full size Dell Inspiron 5150, and a "Thin/Light" Acer (which has no onboard removeable-media drives). The Dell, of course far outperforms the Acer, but the Acer's keypoint is its lightness and portablity; its half as thick and half the weight of the Dell ... an excellent choice for traveling, if you can put up with the hassle of outboard media drives (if anything, I usually take along just a USB Zip drive, but I do have a FireWire CD-RW which I use occasionally ... but that sorta defeats the ultra-portable aspect). I don't recommend a Thin/Light for all around, "Only PC" use, really, but I do find it handy in the portable-only role. As others have mentioned, Dell puts out a very reasonably priced, well-featured, reliable line of Laptops ... much like their desktops you can't build one of similar features or quality yourself for much less. More or less just take them out of the box and use them. I'm a big Dell fan. As for IBM, I have one of them too, a Thinkpad, and I have no complaint with it other than the damned touch-point; I much prefer a laptop with a touchpad, and always use a mouse with the IBM. Its been reliable over about a three year period now ... no problems other than a fan which failed back when it was still in warranty. I wonder if the "Dogishness" mentioned by Wilso, I think, might be due to software on the machines he's familiar with, or perhaps their network configuration ... dunno, just haven't had similar problems here. And the Sonys ... yeah, real sportscars ... pretty, flashy, responsive as hell, perhaps a little finnicky, and, if anything ever goes wrong, a real kick in the wallet. A couple freinds have Toshibas, which impress me very much for build quality and features, though they're a little pricey.

In short, JD, I think you'd be perfectly happy with a Dell.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:04 am
This is great - expert advice and for free. I am going to call Dell today.

One other small question - I can I use the dell here, in my Aunt's house in Dallas, as a wireless until I get my RV or what ever?

This thing (computer) is garbage. WinMe, AOL, 56k dial up, and not dedicated computer line. Being computer less make me nuts.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:39 am
Joanne, there would have to be Wireless available at the location ... a possible speedbump for you. While there are broad-area Wireless providers, offering service via what are know as "Hotspots" which may encompass an area as small as a portion of a single building to as large as entire neighborhoods or districts, Home Wireless Internet Connectivity much more frequently involves merely doing away with the wires which connect a computer to a more conventional, usually broadband, wireline internet connection at the service location. Generally, a Wireless Access Point will be installed in the house, connected to a dedicated wireline ISP service interface as opposed to having a computer or computer network physically connected to the service interface.

Of course, if a suitably nearby neighbor or business or commercial establishment employs the format, it is certainly possible to piggyback clandestinely on that Wireless Service ... such practice is considered by some a form of entertainment in and of itself. I myself have derived some amusement thereby.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:47 am
Quote:
Of course, if a suitably nearby neighbor or business or commercial establishment employs the format, it is certainly possible to piggyback on that Wireless Service ... such practice is considered by some a form of entertainment in and of itself.

Timber, huh, lower your level expertise to my level I do not understand what you mean?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:49 am
He means that if someone in your neighborhood has a wireless setup you could hack their connection and use it for free. :p Remember when people used to do that with Cable TV all the time?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:50 am
Oh, I see - is it legal?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:54 am
"Legal" is such a harsh word... Umm.. Well, if you are doing it without the proper owners consent it probably isn't.

It can be fun though! Wink
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:55 am
It is sort of reading someone's newspaper over their shoulders....
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:58 am
When people war chalk and connect without authorization to any wifi network I administer I format their computers for them.

To me it's not the same as leeching cable. Leeching cable does not have the same dangers of unauthorized access to a computer network.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:01 am
Oh, now I have to ask what leeching cable means.

Or I could just get one and let y'all set it up for me or a least walk me through it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:03 am
JD,

You will need an ISP. We can't set that up for you. If you have an ISP that can be connected to a wireless router then you can use the laptop with a wireless connection in the vicinity.

Otherwise you will need a wireless ISP (and this is still kinda new).
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:08 am
Well I will get my own ISP there are several in Dallas. I could get Comcast but there are others.

I just want my high speed internet access back. You will never know how unbelively lonely I have been with out one.

And the fact is this damn thing, AOL, often shuts down before some web pages open. I hate AOL!!!!!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:14 am
In simple terms, JD, a Wireless Home Network typically connects to a conventional wired network. Wireless is generally a Local Area Network which wirelessly connects to a conventional wireline Wide Area Network.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:16 am
Cool, in many Metro Areas, there are some broad-area wireless ISPs ... if thats available, go for it.

BTW ... getting rid of AOL is a good idea, but exciszing it from your computer may prove troublesome, though not undoable.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:18 am
OK, my Aunt Jane will not allow me to get comcast digital, even if I pay. She is not a computer person and is sort of stubborn.

So now the question is would I be able to get it without the Comcast connection? If not then I just have to wait until I can live in my own place.

Actually when I was in OKC,OK a couple of weeks ago I noticed the COL was much lower and they have COX which is what I had in San Diego. And I like it.

That Charter digital in Fort Worth was not so good.
0 Replies