What Kind of Laptop Is Best and ...

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 11:55 pm
Can one use wirless technology to connect to a high speed connection with a lap top?

How long can a lap top run without being pluged in?

Any recommendations on the best buys?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,884 • Replies: 55
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 11:59 pm
1) yes, you must have a laptop with a wifi network card

2) Usually a couple hours (2-8)

3) You really should shop it around but Dell's Inspiron line is consistently in the top of my "best for the price" comparisons.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 12:03 am
Thanks CDK - can I use a wirless anywhere?

I am planning to become a nomad - traveling the art, antique, junque, flea marked circuit in some kind of camper/van/rv. But want to stay plugged into A2k.

P.S. I signed up for the chat room and was able to enter even on this piece of junk. Also after the 1st I will be making a commitment for a regular monetary contribution .
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 12:06 am
No, no. Wireless don't work like that. Wireless networking is more like a cordless phone than a cellular phone now.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 01:53 am
I just bought a sony vaio - after much research and advice.

Works like a dream !
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 01:56 am
The senior development officer I work for now has one overriding piece of advice for buying computers. Start by never, ever, buying an IBM.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 05:50 am
you can get wireless internet anywhere from cell phone carriers like verizon, sprint, at&t...

all laptops these days should come with built-in wifi. to use it you have to be in a hotspot where it is available.

and i personally would not get anything but a sony vaio. but that's just a personal preference.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 06:11 am
This is what I got and I am thrilled with it....

Sony Vaio GRT786M
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 06:15 am
Wilso wrote:
The senior development officer I work for now has one overriding piece of advice for buying computers. Start by never, ever, buying an IBM.

Being a computer tech myself, IMO that's bad advice. And Sony Vaio's are like beautiful women, to invent a dumb analogy. They look great but when things go wrong they can be very hard to deal with.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 06:21 am
Monger is right - I have a thinkpad at work, and it seems to work fine - despite all that security crap which the IT people insist on installing on our laptops.

I had heard what you say abt Vaios - but my reasoning was that if anything will go wrong, it will go wrong within a year - and that will be covered by warranty. After a year it will be obsolete anyways so if anything goes drastically kaput - might just as well buy a new one...

Besides, it is very difficult to resist a beautiful woman !! (or man !!)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 06:22 am
We've got nothing but IBM's where I work. They are dogs.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 06:39 am
Wifi access is sketchy at best in the Continential US. The only places really making it available quickly are the airports.

A national/unlimited plan through T-Mobile runs about $30/month but you'd have to look at their coverage map.

I like the Dell Inspirons too. You can get a factory refurbed model with a 3 year warranty for around $800-$900 with ease. If you want more flash you can pay more and get it too. Well equipped refurbs can be found in the $1200-$1500 range.

You should be able to get 3 solid hours of use out of pretty much any model on one battery. In most cases you'd probably be able to get up to 6 hours use before a charge was necessary.

The Sony Viao's are nice but the one's we have here keep having keys pop off the keyboards. It's isn't a major problem but it is an annoyance.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 07:20 am
Good question Joanne. I've wondered this myself.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 08:27 am
Thanks all now I can start looking. Since I am so dumb about computers I am think Dell would be best for me. I have heard they have good support for there users and we it is a Texas company and I like to support local merchants and all that PC stuff.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 09:34 am
I love the Vaio but would never buy one. ;-)
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 09:54 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
I love the Vaio but would never buy one. ;-)

Having just bought one, curious to know why !!!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 09:57 am
Because I believe they are overpriced, not well made, and difficult to fix.

But they are very pretty. ;-)

But really, I'd not mind one, I just think Dells give much mor ebang for the buck and I like the Dell casings.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:02 am
oops
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:04 am
Bah, it's not a big deal. Everyone has their opinion on consumer electronics and some swear by the Vaio.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:05 am
I have to admit - the "snob" value which goes with the Vaio was one of the factors in the decision making process....
0 Replies