ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 11:18 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
quoting
I'll read that book, it looks interesting and funny.
Cycloptichorn

Which one, those are very different. Island on the land, Carey Mc Williams, a classic in its time. The Mike Davis book, a doorstop, City of Quartz. I've been threatening to send it to Candide but he begs off, and the damn thing weighs a lot. I only made it a fourth the way through.

On the other hand, I'm the one who railed at my teacher that I found 30 mistakes (perhaps exaggerating, it was a while ago) in the Rayner Banhem book in the early pages. He waved me off, being as he was from Illinois.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 11:51 pm
@ossobuco,
But, wait, Cyclo, or Thomas, I'll send you City of Quartz if you want it, by slo mail.
Alas, Island on the Land is one of those I leant and never saw again.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 12:00 am
@ossobuco,
OK, that's Banham, and I tossed the book to the local used bookstore. The guy had no clue at all about LA and neither did my teacher from Illinois, no matter how prestigious he's become.

But, hey - lots of smarties disagree with me ----
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reyner_Banham
0 Replies