travel to the stars

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 11:01 am
how can we travel in future to other galaxy and eventual extra planet, knowing the limit of the light speed i worry if even there are an extra planet like our earth in an other solar system anywhere in the space, if we can visit it and discover if there are life or no.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,238 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 11:06 am
The speed of light is the limiting factor which pretty well smashes all the "what if" fantasies regarding interstellar travel. There are a lot of people who talk about n-dimensional space, and imagine ways to get around that limitation, but so far as i know, right now, that is only talk. Travelling at a significant fraction of the speed of light is about the only way to accomplish it. That would mean the human race is prepared to think in terms of tens of thousands of years--60,000 years to circumnavigate this galaxy. About the only way i can see a group of people setting out to colonize other planets would be if a private consortium of extremely rich people (and a hell of a lot of them) got together to fund it, knowing full well that they personally would never benefit.
farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 04:23 pm
@Setanta,
It is the same reason that old men plant trees under which they will never sit.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 07:06 pm
@kaissoun,
It's a difficult problem.
0 Replies