Athlete who won dozens of medals has thrown most of them away after learning she is really a man

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 12:41 am
Female athlete was really a man

Quote:
Xiao Nan, of Chengdu, won more than 40 medals as a women in student competitions after graduating from high school.

But after hospital tests confirmed Xiao's suspicions that she was really a man she has thrown out all but 10 of them.

"Being a champion was never a happy thing to me. Standing on the podium made me feel guilty, and I always thought the real champion should have been the one standing next to me," Xiao said.

Quote:
But, inside, she felt confused: "I felt I often had an impulse or desire for women instead of men. And my body is more like a man than a woman."

Xiao had a check-up at a local hospital and the result confirmed she had male chromosomes.

He is now living as a man and has begun a course of sex change surgery at Sichuan Xichan Plastic Surgery Hospital which will take nine months.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,790 • Replies: 6
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 01:55 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
"Being a champion was never a happy thing to me. Standing on the podium made me feel guilty, and I always thought the real champion should have been the one standing next to me," Xiao said.

A very candid comment from an athlete most likely feeling under duress! I'm kinda impressed!

I hope he feels much happier after the sex change surgery. Good luck, Xiao Nan!
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 02:13 am
@msolga,
As a kid I knew an adult who'd had a similar experience. Born without male genitalia and raised as a girl till he figured it out. He had a wife and kids and was remarkably normal for the experience.

I hope this... guy (hey, if the article can switch gender halfway through I get to do a double-take) doesn't suffer from GID and is able to lead a similarly fulfilling life.
msolga

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 02:20 am
@Robert Gentel,
He's a definitely guy, Robert. Smile

But what's GID?
msolga

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 02:33 am
@msolga,
Ah. Just read the tabs. Gender Identity Disorder. (Not that I know a great deal about it.)
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 02:39 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
He's a definitely guy, Robert. Smile

If he needed doctors to figure it out, it's not that simple. ;-)

Quote:
But what's GID?

Gender Identity Disorder. Penile agenesis and penile ablation cases where attempts to raise the child as a girl have not traditionally fared well:

http://www.cirp.org/library/psych/diamond1/

I'm hoping this is one of the success stories.
msolga

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 02:45 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I'm hoping this is one of the success stories.

I really hope so, too!
0 Replies