Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 09:24 pm
There are ten boxes each box contains ten smaller 1 kg boxes. Somebody tells you that one of the larger boxes contains ten .9 kg boxes instead of 1 kg. You have to guess which box it is and you only get to use the scale one time. You can only use the scale once as a measurement tool. (Therefore can’t measure all of the boxes-only one). How do you determine which box is short kg? How do use the scale?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,404 • Replies: 3
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 11:51 pm
I hate questions like this. In my life it makes very little difference which one I use.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 12:14 am
@frognfly,
It's not clear how much fits on one scale, but you can get the box in one weighing if you can do the following:

Get 1 of the inner boxes from the first, 2 from the second, and so on. Weigh them at once.

If the total is .1 less than 55 kilos then it was the box you took 1 inner box from, and so on and so forth.

But the scale limitations aren't stated, so if you can't weight that many inner boxes it won't work (note: you don't need innerboxes from them all, you can leave one box out of the weighing and if it weights what it should if they were all 1kg boxes you know it was the one left out).
0 Replies

cg811

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 09:56 pm
you could stack all of the large boxes with smaller ones in them on top of each other on the scale and 1 by 1 take off boxes while watching the scale decrease in weight. the box that doesn't take as much weight from the former 1 is the 1 that has the .9 kg boxes in it
0 Replies