PAUL HARVEY - R.I.P. - BUT WE'RE LOOKING FORWARD TO THE REST OF THE STORY

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 08:15 pm
http://www.drudgereport.com/PH.jpg

ABC Radio Networks Statement on the Passing of Paul Harvey
Saturday February 28, 2009, 8:34 pm EST
The following is a statement from Jim Robinson, President of ABC Radio Networks, on the passing of Paul Harvey:

Paul Harvey was one of the most gifted and beloved broadcasters in our nation's history. As he delivered the news each day with his own unique style and commentary, his voice became a trusted friend in American households. His career in radio spanned more than seven decades, during which time countless millions of listeners were both informed and entertained by his "News & Comment" and "Rest of the Story" features. Even after the passing of his loving wife Angel in May 2008, Paul would not slip quietly into retirement as he continued to take the microphone and reach out to his audience. We will miss our dear friend tremendously and are grateful for the many years we were so fortunate to have known him. Our thoughts and prayers are now with his son Paul Jr. and the rest of the Harvey family.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ABC-Radio-Networks-Statement-prnews-14503815.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,757 • Replies: 16
No top replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 08:23 pm
I can't remember agreeing with PH on anything, but long ago I listened anyways. What wonderful presentation he had.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 08:26 pm
Good day, Paul.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 08:35 pm
For me his passing is particularly poignant because I can't remember a time that he hasn't been part of radio. He was about as non partisan and apolitical as you will find in a well known radio personality who comments on the politics and social fabric of the contemporary scene. He always had at least one human interest story that made you think on his daily newscast and his 'the rest of the story' mini essays are legendary.

I will miss him.
GeneralTsao

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 08:49 pm
Wow...he died when, today?

I agree with Fyre--he didn't take sides on his broadcasts--but was way too liberal for my liking in many of his news broadcasts, though he wrote many excellent columns published by the Conservative Chronicle.

His "Rest of the Story" episodes are phenomenal. I have marveled for years at what a skilled writer and orator he was. It is always fun to try to guess the person he's talking about.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 08:54 pm
Harvey was too conservative for me, but I liked to listen to him anyway.
mismi

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 10:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
His voice is comforting. It was one of those things that gives me and unexplained easiness. Kind of like listening to Garrison Keilor - it is soul soothing to me. He will be missed.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 12:34 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
He was about as non partisan and apolitical as you will find in a well known radio personality who comments on the politics and social fabric of the contemporary scene.

Can't. Stop. Laughing.
farmerman

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 05:03 am
I heard the original Paul sometime last week , He had a regular 11:45 AM news spot . He sounded really bad. His voice was all shaky and rheumy sounding.

I enjoyed some of his feature stories . His political stories were pretty much right wing.
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 08:35 am
@farmerman,
He was conservative yes. So if he is to be damned for that, so be it.

But his criticisms of government and those who govern were even handed and delivered without respect to party affiliation or idelology which is why I said he was as non partisan and apolitical as they come in radio news commentators. He didn't often take sides. He was a side all by himself. He criticized George H.W. Bush breaking his 'no new taxes' pledge. He criticized Bill Clinton's piccadillos. And he criticized what he perceived as George W. Bush's fiscal irresponsibility plus, as these last years passed, it became increasingly obvious that he perceived the Iraq war to be a mistake. But he was able to convey that without undercutting the boots on the ground over there.

His scholarship was not particularly careful, and now and then he fell for one of those e-mails that gets sends around with false information or he would insert a minor factual error into an otherwise okay historical rendition. But his general overview of America and the American scene was generally on target and, while I did not depend on him for information, I enjoyed hearing his take on things over lunch each day or listening to "The Rest of Story" on the drive home.

He was a uniquely American institution.

Yes, I will miss him.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 09:05 am
Harvey was an entertainer, which is why non conservatives could overlook his bias.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 10:19 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
He was about as non partisan and apolitical as you will find in a well known radio personality who comments on the politics and social fabric of the contemporary scene.

Can't. Stop. Laughing.

exactly
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 10:46 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Can't. Stop. Laughing.

exactly

And that's .....................
the rest of the story.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 01:46 pm
And thank you to the numbnuts who couldn't find the charity to take the opportunity to honor or note the passing of an icon of the American scene, but used the opportunity to insult another member. (God, I'm glad I'm not a liberal.)
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 03:24 pm
@Foxfyre,
Your candor is in question, you say that he was not partisan yet every word he said illustrated his extremely conservative world view. He was not overtly political but he certainly did promote an extreme conservative ideology.
ebrown p

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 03:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye, I think you are missing Foxfyre's brilliant (yet subtle) sense of humor. In her last posts she says "numbnuts" are "using the opportunity to insult other members" right before she thanks God she is not a liberal.

She is just joking... (right Foxy?)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 04:25 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

And thank you to the numbnuts who couldn't find the charity to take the opportunity to honor or note the passing of an icon of the American scene, but used the opportunity to insult another member. (God, I'm glad I'm not a liberal.)

I can't find any insults in this thread except for Foxfyre calling certain unidentified posters "numbnuts." Which must mean that Foxfyre is thanking herself for calling herself a "numbnut."

That's one of the most confusingly self-referential posts I've ever seen on A2K. Still, if you can't thank yourself for calling yourself "numbnut," who can you thank?
0 Replies