Do you listen to radio?

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 07:19 pm
I'm not talking about internet radio or satellite radio or fancy radio but just regular AM/FM radio?

I haven't for a long time but today I was at the store and they had some kind of nice looking radios on sale for $15. I came home and plugged it in.

Tonight Mo was sitting at the kitchen table drawing and "My Sharona" came on so I had a really cool opportunity to tell him about Mr. B and my first official date -- to see The Romantics and Adam Ant.

The next song that came on was "Top of The World" (WHAT!?), then "Sledgehammer" then "Can't Touch This".

Mo tought it was hilarious and bizarre that I could sing along with such a variety of songs.

I had given up on radio years ago because it was so predictable but I'm back, baby.

I even forgive the commercials, still absolutely awful.

Do you listen to the regular radio?

What kind of music do they play on your favorite channel?

(Note not interested in talk radio of any kind but thanks anyway.)

boomerang

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 07:48 pm
They just played "Maggie May" by Rod Stewart which reminds me.....

I recently read an article about the kid that Rod Stewart gave up for adoption before he was famous -- could "Maggie" be that baby? Or maybe Maggie's mommy?

Wait! Don't dismiss it out of hand! Look at the lyrics!

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 07:54 pm
@boomerang,
I have had a radio fixation since I was first aware that there was a little wooden box that would get warm and crackle and then let a statiicky sound emerge as the glass tubes came alive.

Then came music. Then came Radio Mystery Theater with the host E.G.Marshall, then there was Bob & Ray with Mary Backstage, noble wife, then music, then more music. There was classical, there was rock, there was country, all kinds of music and weekend countdowns. There was baseball, there were interviews, there was comedy and drama, radio had it all, even ads like Stiller & Meara with Blue Nun.

I still rely upon the friendliness which a radio brings and gives. There's music still and NPR and baseball even still and news and an entire world, even talk radio. AM/FM I check up and dial the down, each station delivers its own appeal and it's affordable and portable.

(but I miss the glass tubes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBUr1pSWTVI
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 07:56 pm
I keep my truck's radio on an oldies country station. When I am too lazy to pick out a CD to play, I hear the same play list every day. The big problem with the stations I know is this: They have access to thousands of songs, but play less than a dozen.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:01 pm
@boomerang,
I still listen to an AM/FM radio when in my bedroom. Mostly just listen to either NPR or classical music stations. My favorite NPR shows don't come on until the weekends, when I enjoy it the most.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:04 pm
@boomerang,
I listen to the radio pretty much all of the time that I'm at home or in the car
The t.v. is really just an anchor/display stand.
I love radio.
I usually listen to the CBC. Not talk radio, more like news/world music/rock & roll/blues/jazz and international radio documentaries.
I love love love radio.

I get pretty cranky, pretty quickly, without my radio.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:07 pm
I didn't realize listening to a radio was considered unususal.

buterfly, I like "This American Life" and "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me"

My dream is to one day have Carl Kassel on my home answering machine, except I don't have one.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:15 pm
@boomerang,
for the past several years these have been my favourite radio programs

http://www.cbc.ca/bigcitysmallworld/

I have more than a bit of a crush on Garvia.

Both Set and I are pretty much addicted to Randy Bachman's Vinyl Tap. Randy was part of the Guess Who as well as BTO (Bachman Turner Overdrive). He's also Tal Bachman's dad. He spins great tunes and tells crazy stories from back in the day. Randy knew/knows everyone.

http://www.cbc.ca/vinyltap/ (the link leads to the most recent show, which you can listen to online)

the songlist was

Latest Show

Show: VINYL_TAP
Date: 2010/11/14

AT THE ZOO

DEAD SKUNK

ROCK LOBSTER

RIDE YOUR PONY

BIRD DOG

ROCKIN' ROBIN

CRAWDAD SONG

DIXIE CHICKEN

HONKY CAT

HIGH FLYING BIRD

HEY BULLDOG

MICKEY'S MONKEY

WILDFIRE

SPIDERS AND SNAKES

SURFIN' BIRD

BUMBLE BOOGIE

TOO MUCH MONKEY BUSINESS

WALKIN' THE DOG

WALKING MY CAT NAMED DOG

WHAT'S NEW PUSSYCAT

BIRDLAND

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

how can you not love programming like that?
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:21 pm
@chai2,
They are some of my favorites too. I also like Car Talk, Fresh Air, and A Prairie Home Companion.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:30 pm
@chai2,
Hey Chai, I got you an early Christmas present. It's been regifted, but I think you can easily fix it to add your name to it.

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:58 pm
I realize I can't control what people want to post but I would appreciate it if people would limit this to music programs and not talking programs -- which inlcude NPR's talkers.

Thanks.
boomerang

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 09:02 pm
@Sturgis,
You've made me remember back in the early 80s when my friend inherited his grandparent's old Studebaker. That car had a tube radio and we were all thrilled about warming it up and listening in.

I grew up in the transistor radio era so radio has always been about music to me. I can remember waiting up half the night to hear some certain new song from our favorite band.

Later we would try to copy those songs onto cassette tapes. They always sounded awful but it was fun!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 09:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm really hoping that my crush doesn't falter tomorrow if I tune in and they're playing the same eclectic mix I heard today. Listening today was fun because there was no rhyme or reason to what they were playing.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 09:06 pm
@ehBeth,
Thats a fabulous song list!

Thanks!

It reminds me very much of what I was hearing tonight -- and what I heard tonight gave me hope for radio.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 09:11 pm
@boomerang,
http://www.randysvinyltap.com/

gotta love the second screen (scroll down to the errrr radio buttons)
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 10:15 pm
Sometimes in the car I listen to the radio, almost always to the Jays (since the 70s it's been the alt rock station, starting out as Sydney based AM, but now nationwide FM).

I'm actually finding the web a better way of finding interesting music. Search for something obscure you like mentioned by a blogger and see what else they mention. Of course the various A2K threads with youtube embedded are cool too.

But when driving overseas I get Mrs Hinge to surf the airwaves looking for bearable stations. Still remember 'Rock Gol' in Spain. What a hoot.
hingehead

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 10:16 pm
@ehBeth,
How bizarre, I didn't realise Tal was Randy's son. How cool.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 11:35 pm
I like to listen to the radio too, mostly classical music. I have the radio in the kitchen and not in the living room, I also like to listen to classical music when driving or even better country and western.
Don´t worry I wont mention any radio talk - you don´t know the Swedish programs anyway.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 04:27 am

clock radios wake us up...
bathroom radio is on (loud!) when i take a shower...
kitchen radio is on whenever i'm in the kitchen...
i also toggle thru a number of FM stations on my (otherwise empty) MP3 player...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 04:38 am
Yes i do. The only "classical" music radio station in t.o. is a commercial station. So that is what i listen to while i'm upstairs reading. The radio downstairs is tuned to CBC, and we're getting the broadcast rather than a cable or satellite feed, but i'm not sure if that meets your criterion.
0 Replies