DOODLING NOT A WASTE OF TIME

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 06:46 pm
do you "doodle" ?

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45519000/jpg/_45519433_doodle_2_226.jpg

apparently doodling is not a waste of time but keeps your mind alert when doing dull tasks , say british researchers .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7912671.stm

Quote:
Doodling 'may help memory recall'

Doodling may look messy, but it could in fact be a sign of an alert mind, a study suggests.

Plymouth University researchers carried out memory tests on 40 volunteers, asking them to listen to a phone call and recall names and places.

Doodlers performed 29% better than non-doodlers, the team found.

Experts said doodling stopped people from daydreaming, which was a more taxing diversion, and so was good at helping people focus on mundane tasks.

During the study, half of the volunteers were asked to colour in shapes on a piece of paper while they listened to a 2.5 minute telephone message.

The other half were left to their own devices while they listened. Both groups were told the message would be dull, the Applied Cognitive Psychology journal reported.

Afterwards, both groups were asked to write down eight specific names and eight places mentioned.

The doodlers on average recalled 7.5, while the non-doodlers only managed 5.8.

Lead researcher Jackie Andrade said: "If someone is doing a boring task, like listening to a dull telephone conversation, they may start to daydream.

"Daydreaming distracts them from the task, resulting in poor performance.

"A simple task, like doodling, may be sufficient to stop daydreaming without affecting performance on the main task."

so when the boss catches you doodling , simply say : "i'm sharpening my mind !" .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 2,869 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 08:53 pm
@hamburger,
Laughing I read the title quickly. I thought it said "drooling" Surprised Laughing
NickFun

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 09:17 pm
Napping and doodling are good for the mind. However, most employers don't appreciate either of them.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 09:32 pm
That's very interesting.

I know in college that I quickly became the "don't borrow her notes" girl because my books were filled with doodles and the odd word. Nobody but me could make any sense at all out of them.

Now I know that I was only concentrating!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 09:40 pm
@hamburger,
I doodle.

I have special markers that I take along to meetings that I might need some mmmm assistance at. I also have a mini mini Etch-a-Sketch that I keep at my desk, for those phone calls that won't end but do need an occasional mmm hmmm from my side.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 09:59 pm
@Reyn,
Me too, Reyn.

I also doodle, or used to, re designs. It's a basic starter to deal with the blank paper syndrome = put something down, anything, and then react to it. Like this? No, like this... well, no, what if this? What tracing paper is for, usually called "trace".
ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 10:05 pm
@ossobuco,
Napkins are good too.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 12:41 pm
i never realized there were so many people with "sharp mids" on a2k until just now .
how am i ever going to catch up ?
start doodling , i guess ... i'd kind of lost the art of it ... been retired from "paid" work for too long .
mrs h and i while away our time by counting our money ... one dollar , two dollars , three dollars ... o.k. , let's buy the saturday edition of the toronto globe and mail . Cool
hbg

found another $1.47 and bought the saturday edition of the new york times also !
0 Replies

drillersmum

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 08:29 pm
@hamburger,
I recently found out that doodling is back in fashion, big time, (not that it ever was out of fashion of course) and with a brand new name. If you Google ZENTANGLE you will soon find out that there are a heck of a lot of people out there... ZENTANGLING...AKA.. DOODLING. It has made my day. :-)
I even watched a vido clip on Utube showing how to make a zentangle. Great for the kids to do as well. I feel like I am reliving my childhood. Got the paint box out and the coloured pencils... great fun, and they do look good.
hamburgboy

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 08:40 pm
@drillersmum,
hi , drillersmum

i'll have to start doodling again - spending too much time on the computer .

take care .

hbg

http://www.lilscrappers.ca/catalog/images/crop_sh_cw_12x12_doodling_template_butterfly.jpg
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 10:37 pm
I am a cronic doodler.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 09:29 pm
@drillersmum,
Yes, indeed, I notice that these Zentangle people will gladly sell you a Zentangle Kit for only $49.00 plus shipping.

[sigh!]

Even doodling is getting expensive these days! Sad Mad
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 09:46 pm
Doesn't everyone doodle? When attending meetings & more meetings as a reporter for our small town paper, I tried and tried over & over, to make a perfect star. Scheeez, you can't just sit and stare at the township board where at times I'm the only person to attend.. Another doodle was a vase of flowers. Think I got the star right once.
Ceili

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 10:01 pm
@Pemerson,
Nope, one of my first jobs was in a hotel. I used to refresh the banquet rooms - new glasses, ice water, paper pads, pens... I used to save some cool doodles I found, but I was always surprised how many booklets were blank or just boring old notes.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 12:08 am
I doodle - like Pemerson, I tended to try to perfect an image by doing the same thing over and over again.
I liked stars - I'd smudge them to make them look like shooting stars. I liked flowers, I liked to draw eyes with perfectly arched eyebrows - just one- I have notebooks filled with notes of name combinations - I didn't name either of my children any of the names in the notebook margins from highschool.

My favorite thing though is that my doodles form sort of a continuous journal within my school notebooks in the margins- the dates are all there because I dated the notes I was taking and I have observations about the people in the room - how hot or cold it was - what I was waiting to get out of school to do that day. How I felt - bored, tired, happy, excited...

If I hadn't doodled - I'd have forgotten all that stuff - important stuff such as the fact that I once thought I'd name my daughter Emily Rose (which I didn't).
0 Replies