PAY-AS-YOU-GO

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:47 am
here is an idea to make air-travel more comfortable :

Quote:
Ryanair mulls charge for toilets

Irish budget airline Ryanair has said it is considering charging passengers for using the toilet while flying.

Chief executive Michael O'Leary told the BBC that the Dublin-based carrier was looking at maybe installing a "coin slot on the toilet door".

Consumer group Which? said the airline was putting "profit before passengers".

Ryanair's PR chief Steven McNamara later played down the idea, saying: "I don't think it's going to happen in the foreseeable future".

"Will it happen long-term, I'm not really sure," he said.

"It's one of those things that when Michael starts looking at something, you know, it's always up for discussion."

it's bothered me for a long time that as soon as an airplane takes off , people start marching off to the toilets - don't they ever consider using the airport facilities before boarding or do they particularly enjoy using airplane toilets ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7914542.stm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 1,829 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:08 pm
My question would be - then what happens if some poor sap doesn't have any change?
Ragman

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:47 pm
@hamburger,
I heard about this on the news this morning. This move is what I'd call the ultimate in penny-wise-and-pound-foolish moves. The ensuing negative publicity will undoubtedly cause this airlines to lose flyers and probably investors, too. Whatever revenue they might gain, they'll lose tenfold in lost customers.

Flying is often (now more then ever) a nerve-wracking experience. So many people are in a hurry or jsut plain stressed about flying. Fergawdsake do you want to fault people for needing to relieve themselves because they were in a hurry to board, nervous about flying or have weak bladders? You must not fly too often.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:54 pm
Reach in my pocket feeling for a coin
But all I find is three pennies and a joint
Uh uh. Baby Uh uh. - The Fugs
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 01:10 pm
I suppose you could pee your pants for free!
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 01:17 pm
@NickFun,
Just wear Depends. Youwon't need to go to the john. Your seat partner might get a bit queasy.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 01:20 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

My question would be - then what happens if some poor sap doesn't have any change?

Maybe air sickness bags will become dual purpose?
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 01:25 pm
There was a 2002 Tony Award-winning musical on this very subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urinetown#Synopsis
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 02:28 pm
@Linkat,
linkat wrote :

Quote:
then what happens if some poor sap doesn't have any change?

if i were the owner of ryanair i'd demand that boarding passengers leave a "deposit" before being allowed to to board - or they'd face an "overdraft" charge .
one way of reducing the number of passengers from using a toilet would be to charge pasengers by weight - i bet they'd try to leave as much "behind" as possible . ryanair might be able to remove a toilet and squeeze a couple of more seats in

i believe that south-west air was able to add two more seats for each galley removed .
hbg
hamburger

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 02:39 pm
@Ragman,
ragman wrote :

Quote:
You must not fly too often

that's true , i don't fly very often and when i do , i prefer to be "in a holding pattern" rather than using the toilets - particularly after a long overnight flight !
when we flew to europe during the 60''s and 70's , we usually flew with KLM . those were the days when everything was kept spotless - each toilet even had a large bottle of BOLDOT - a very nice dutch colongne .
breakfast was freshly scrambled eggs with HOT crusty buns - those were the days when flying was enjoyable - except for the smoking but some nice dutch genever and liqueur would make up for it - actually , KLM offered free smokes : cigarettes or cigars(to be smoked after the flight) .
hbg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 02:49 pm
@Ragman,
Ryanair charges for all and everything - this was just a matter of time to be announced.

In the March issue of a German (independent) consumer magazine is a report about various European regular and budget airlines: not surprisingly, Ryanair is on the last paces .... and the regular lines are soo bad at all with their fares as well ... (When we flew with Lufthansa to Rome and back a couple of days ago, we got free newspapers and free coffee/tea/soft drinks at the airport [our local and in Munich], free drinks, sandwiches and sweets on the flights, and could use the toilet as often as we wanted for nothing. AirBerlin, a higher priced budget airline, offers free newspapers, soft drinks and a sandwich on the flights from our local airport to London [less than one hour] as well plus free use of toilet) Wink

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 03:02 pm
@Ragman,
I'm glad I learned to travel with hamburger. Good training to be a camel.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 03:10 pm
@hamburger,
All I can say is I wouldn't want to be sitting next to the person who doesn't have change (or is too cheap to pay). Or the next person sitting in their seat after s/he has left.
0 Replies