The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkle, and...?

sozobe

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 07:39 pm
Hi all,

Wow, thanks for all of this! I set her loose on this thread today but she was frustrated by our middling connection -- the songs took a long time to download and especially the videos would be all stop-and-start. She seemed to like what she heard though because part of her frustration was that she was just getting into it and then it'd freeze. I think I'll go ahead and download various videos in different windows at some point later on, so she can listen in a less interrupted way.

To address some things I know from previous music conversations (I take her through YouTube stuff trying to figure out what she might like now and then, plus some of these things she does like and listens to):

- She LOVED Peter Paul and Mary when she was littler, now she's kind of over them (she likes the music if it comes on, doesn't seek it out).

- I've played "Love Shack" for her before and she liked it OK -- bopped around to it, etc. -- but again it's not the top tier of what she likes/ not what I'm going for here. That goes for pretty much any rockish/ dancish stuff -- for example I thought if she liked the Beatles she might like the Rolling Stones, but nope. There are some exceptions -- she loved the movie "School of Rock" and seems to like Led Zeppelin (she was singing "The Immigrant Song" for a while after she saw the movie). No on rockabilly though -- again, she'll listen, she doesn't dislike it per se, but it's not the stuff she really likes.

Oh and she loves "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath. So she seems to like some heavy metal, I just don't quite get what makes it "good" or "not good" from her perspective, yet.

- She liked what she heard of the Avril Lavigne song DrewDad posted, so that looks promising. (She doesn't like all Avril Lavigne though, she found "Girlfriend" irritating and preferred Avril's more straightforward, tomboyish persona.)

- Joan Baez is a definite possibility. My mom was/ is a big fan, I listened to a lot of her stuff, she definitely has the stories plus melodies part.

--- really need to go to bed, more later...!
Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 07:42 pm
There is a song from Dr. Demento's annual Christmas show you ought to see if you can get a copy of. It is entitled "I am Santa Claus," and it is a parody of "I am Ironman." I bet she'd love that . . .
djjd62

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 07:47 pm
@sozobe,
she might like joni mitchell if she likes joan baez

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 08:43 pm
Oh yeah . . . she might like "Big Yellow Taxi."
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 09:08 pm
"Woodstock" is kind of interesting too.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 06:36 am
@Setanta,
Ha, I bet!

She also likes "Bang Your Head" by Quiet Riot.

And I was wrong about Peter, Paul and Mary -- we have a CD that she used to listen to all the time and now she doesn't, but when I asked if she liked them she immediately launched into "Inch by Inch, Row by Row..." (Quiet Riot and Peter, Paul and Mary, whatta combo...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 07:40 am
@sozobe,
OK to continue the post I'm replying to:

- I'm looking forward to the mad scientist experiment, Thomas. We have some classical but not much, and she does like what she's heard -- specific recommendations are great there, I'll try it and let you know.

- She does like the Beach Boys!

- When we were talking last night after I turned this off, she reiterated that she LOVE LOVE LOVES They Might Be Giants -- not just "Particle Man" -- so definitely will be getting a CD of them (if I get one, which one should it be?)

- Aidan, that's another one that looks promising. I loved "Autumn to May" when I was a kid, it's one of the few lullabies I sang to sozlet when she was a baby.

- Bruce is her pal. She saw him live this fall and really liked him. Thanks for specific recommendations.

- Good idea re: early solo Paul Simon, msolga!

- Really looking forward to sampling your daughter's playlist, CJane, especially for the more current stuff.

- Yes makes sense, thanks bpb!

- Norah Jones is a great idea, she's past my time but I've read about her and she would seem to fit the bill. Other suggestions look good too, thanks ehBeth!

- Mark Knopfler, yeah -- "Walk of Life" was another big hit for her on YouTube, though she didn't like "Money For Nothing." Question

- Fabulous idea to look at post-Beatles solo work, DrewDad. I had completely forgotten about "Got My Mind Set On You" until I saw it, then it's been going through my head.

- Roy Orbison and Tom Petty are both great ideas, parados. (This is gonna keep us occupied for a year!!!)
djjd62

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 07:46 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

- When we were talking last night after I turned this off, she reiterated that she LOVE LOVE LOVES They Might Be Giants -- not just "Particle Man" -- so definitely will be getting a CD of them (if I get one, which one should it be?)

particle man, istanbul (not constantinople) and bird house in your soul are all on the cd "flood"

the cd "no" is a cd specifically for children and is excellent, get an actual disc for this one, it's got some cool computer content on it
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 07:49 am
Linkin Park
Metallica
Green Day
Foo Fighters
The Refreshments / Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers
Creed
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 08:12 am
@sozobe,
Quote:

Dial-A-Song 20 Years of They Might Be Giants

A 2 DVD set of their best.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 09:45 am
My daughter likes Black Sabbath too, she even did a school report on them once,
and for whatever reason, she adores Ozzy. Shocked
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 09:56 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
- I'm looking forward to the mad scientist experiment, Thomas. We have some classical but not much, and she does like what she's heard -- specific recommendations are great there, I'll try it and let you know.

(The mad scientist polishes his telescope to observe the experiment)

If you're on a slow internet connection, try the links from the Isabella Steward Gardner museum. They have good-quality audio with no video, and you can download the mp3 files to your computer.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 10:58 pm
Hmm...I liked Simon and Garfunkel a lot when I was young...so here are some more recommendations from me....

- How about "Sing" by Travis...(I didn't care for the lyrics, but I like the sound of this song)
- "Cloudy" by Simon and Garfunkel
- "Dangling Conversation" by Simon and Garfunkle
- "Your Song" by Simon and Garfunkel
- "Romeo and Juliet" by Dire Straits

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 06:14 pm
@sakhi,
sakhi wrote:

Hmm...I liked Simon and Garfunkel a lot when I was young...so here are some more recommendations from me....

- How about "Sing" by Travis...(I didn't care for the lyrics, but I like the sound of this song)
- "Cloudy" by Simon and Garfunkel
- "Dangling Conversation" by Simon and Garfunkle
- "Your Song" by Simon and Garfunkel
- "Romeo and Juliet" by Dire Straits

If I'm not mistaken, "Your Song" is by Elton John.
sakhi

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 09:47 pm
@Brandon9000,
Correct.

But I am taking about a song by Simon and Garfunkel - called ...maybe "Song for the asking".
It goes - "This is my song for the asking, ask me and I shall sing, so sweetly I'll make you smile".
Ragman

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 10:23 pm
@sakhi,
http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/p/paul_simon/song_for_the_asking.html

"Song For the Asking"

This is my song for the asking
Ask me and I will play
So sweetly I´ll make you smile

Here is my tune for the taking
Take it, don´t turn away
I´ve been waiting here all my life.
. . . Thinking it over, I´ve be sad
Thinking it over, I´d be more than glad to Change my ways for the asking

Ask me and I will play
All the love that I hold inside
This is my song.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 10:22 am

DrewDad

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 10:34 am
@DrewDad,

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 09:35 am
@aidan,
An update... I did get this CD for sozlet ("Will the Circle Be Unbroken: Volume Two") and it's another huge hit. She likes the whole thing but her favorites are "Grandpa Was a Carpenter," (John Prine) "Mary Danced With Soldiers,"(Nitty Gritty Dirt Band) and "Turn of the Century" (Yes).*

*I think -- there is a song by Yes called "Turn of the Century" but I'm not certain it's the one on the album.

Just got all the lyrics (I'd seen "Grandpa was a Carpenter" and was impressed), just saw that "Mary Danced With Soldiers" is a little rough -- not sure how much sozlet understands with that one.

But she loves the album, thanks again for the recommendation.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 09:39 am
@sozobe,
if she likes the Yes, you might look at some Supertramp.

(i think most of it would pass the PG test)

i'd start with the Breakfast in America album.
0 Replies