Overlapping objects in ASP.NET

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:07 pm
I am developing a web application in ASP.NET (Visual Basic). The interface for the website is being designed using Adobe Photoshop. (The entire homepage has already been designed in photoshop).
The hotspots for this image are to be created using fireworks and made functional through the imagemap control in ASP.NET.
My problem is this: I want to have ASP.NET objects (like the listbox control) 'embedded' or inserted at specific areas of the homepage graphic that was developed. i.e. I have created a space in the homepage graphic where a listbox is to be placed. However, ASP.NET does not seem to permit placing objects over each other. So I am not able to, for instance, drag the listbox over the specific area of the image map which contains the homepage graphic.
Does anyone know any way around this, or is my approach entirely wrong? Thanks in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,336 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:40 pm
If I understand what you are saying correctly, the imagemap is definitely not the way to go. This isn't a .NET issue, its a general web development issue.

The web is very different then print, and you shouldn't try to statically position things on a screen. People use a variety of operating systems, browsers, and screen resolutions, and statically positioning an entire site will not look good in all of them. Also, having the entire site one big image would make for VERY slow loading times.

Instead, the photoshop image should be sliced up into regions, such as the header background, borders, buttons, etc. You can then use these image as backgrounds utilizing CSS, and remove the need for an imagemap.
carebear1

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 09:09 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Hey thanks again Nick. Once again you've helped me to properly understand my circumstance. I think what I'll do then is divide the image after building it, and use it in conjunction with div tags and see how it pans out. Thanks again!
0 Replies