"The fairest of maiden's reposing, so wonderously up there."

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 09:50 am
[QUOTE]German Tourist Ship Grounded on Rhine, 40 Hurt
Sun September 28, 2003
ST GOAR, Germany (Reuters) - A German tourist ship ran aground on Sunday on the River Rhine near the legendary Loreley cliff, hurting more than 40 people, three badly.
A police spokesman said three of the more than 40 people injured were seriously hurt when the ship ran onto rocks near the Loreley cliff south of the city of Koblenz, which legend says is home to a beautiful nymph who calls to sailors.

It took several hours to evacuate the ship, also called the "Loreley," which has a capacity of 500 passengers but was not full at the time of the accident.

Even after the ship was towed away, traffic on the Rhine was still blocked by parts of its engine and the police said it was not certain if the river would be open again on Sunday.

Water levels on the Rhine have fallen to record lows in recent weeks, limiting shipping on what is usually Europe's busiest waterway.

source: reuters[/QUOTE]

View of "MS Loreley"
http://www.k-d.com/flotte/gallerie/loreley.jpg

HAMBURG, Sept 25 (Reuters) - Shipping on the river Rhine has been seriously disrupted as water levels at the critical point of Kaub near Koblenz have fallen to a new record low, the association of German inland waterways ship operators BDB said on Thursday.

Levels at Kaub, the most vulnerable point to low water, fell to 40 centimetres on Thursday from 50 cm on Monday.
more here!

The title of this thread, btw, is taken from the English translation of Heinrich Heine's poem "Ich weiß nicht, was soll es bedeuten"
Quote:
Lorelei

I'm looking in vain for the reason
That I am so sad and distressed;
A tale known for many a season
Will not allow me to rest.

Cool is the air in the twilight
And quietly flows the Rhine;
The mountain top glows with a highlight
From the evening sun's last shine.

The fairest of maiden's reposing
So wonderously up there.
Her golden treasure disclosing;
She's combing her golden hair.

She combs it with comb of gold
And meanwhile sings a song
With melody strangely bold
And overpoweringly strong.

The boatman in his small craft
Is seized with longings, and sighs.
He sees not the rocks fore and aft;
He looks only up towards the skies.

I fear that the waves shall be flinging
Both vessel and man to their end;
That must have been what with her singing
The Lorelei did intend.

Translation to English copyright © 1995 by Walter Meyer
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 562 • Replies: 3
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 11:33 pm
Walter, Where is "up there?" Just as an aside; I've been receiving quite a few travel brochures advertising cruises in Europe. If the water levels on the rivers are so low, I wonder how they're going to get through all the locks in Europe, much less travel on them? I've been considering a cruise that goes through Hungary, Croatia, Romania, Serbia-Montenegro, and Bulgaria. What do you think is the best time of year for this cruise?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 11:42 pm
"Up there" is here, on the right:
http://home.rhein-zeitung.de/~ibannert/geograph__biograph_/lorelei.jpg

Passenger ships don't have much draugh, besides, the the shiproutes even on smaller rivers are deeper than the gauges indicate.

Bets time for a cruise: late spring until early autum, to get the best weather (lowest prices are, you can imagine, outsite that season).
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 05:33 pm
c.i. : came back from germany and switzerland two weeks ago. stayed for four days in worms on the rhine river(pretty close to frankfurt). the water levels are indeed at record lows a/t local newspapers; however the river traffic was still moving(freightbarges carried less cargo). some amazing finds were made along the rhine riverbank since the water has receded and and some people were even panning for gold(pix were in local paper). as walter said, passenger boats should not have much travel navigating since they don't require much water under their keel. if you get to switzerland, do some cruising on lake lugano - absolutely beautiful ! perhaps you have been there already ? hbg
0 Replies