Does anyone remember "Pagan babies?"

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 07:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Father La Sage who had a mission in Formosa, if I remember right.

And then there was Father Patrick Peyton, of the Rosary Crusade (check movie, miracle of Fatima). My dad volunteered at Family Theater in Hollywood, and there were many other volunteers more famed.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 07:26 pm
@ossobuco,
I also remember my brother in law, years later of course, mentioning the pagan babies thing with bemusement, mockery. He's the one who joined the peace corps.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 07:34 pm
@ossobuco,
And then there was Father Damien. A friend of my dad's, John Farrow, wrote a book about him, which I read but unfortunately didn't hang onto, unfortunate for collector reasons but also just re sentiment. Hear he's now up for sainthood.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 07:38 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Yeah, but we used to have missionaries to dinner at our house....

(don't get me going)

Aw go for it, osso!

This is fun! Very Happy
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 07:42 pm
@msolga,
Ok, did you do novenas?

Religion may have just worn me out. Too many novenas.
roger

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 07:47 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Yeah, but we used to have missionaries to dinner at our house....

(don't get me going)

Thought you were from California. Those who have missionaries for dinner are often in central Africa.
mags314772

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 07:48 pm
@ossobuco,
I did novenas. And the First Fridays of the month
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 07:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Did I? Would I dare not too? Shocked

I also wore something called a "scapula" (as best I can recall the name - it was a dark fabric necklace type thingy with "holy pictures" on it, worn under one's clothing). Rumour had it, that no matter what you'd done, if you were wearing your "scapula" at the time of death, you went to heaven anyway! Hey, free pass! Very Happy
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 07:50 pm
@ossobuco,
My mother was most tuned to novenas in the many many off and on times my father was out of work.

I was busy daydreaming while praying, although not all the time. I still believed then, was just impatient.

I'm still impatient.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 07:55 pm
@roger,
Hah, Roger. I remember the table setting (easy, I still have the table). It was in the dining room in our rental house in Evanston. I don't remember the meals..
but - suddenly grasping - may have been important for my mother. I'd no clue of all that. And maybe my retrospective eye is wrong, she might not have been nervous.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 08:01 pm
@msolga,
and mags (I don't know yet how to change the header on quotes)

First Fridays - meant cocoa and really good sweet rolls at St. Nicks after mass...

Scapula - it was a certain act of dismissal when I threw out my scapula. Hard to remember precisely when, now.
msolga

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 08:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Scapula - it was a certain act of dismissal when I threw out my scapula. Hard to remember precisely when, now.

I think they kind of decomposed, osso. Remember, they were made off cloth & one was never to take one's scapula off, just in case .......
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 08:13 pm
@msolga,
I was never scapulositous, msolga...

even then I must have had a budding sense of voodoo rampant. But no, I didn't then, I just didn't take it that seriously.
msolga

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 08:34 pm
@ossobuco,
I think a lot depended on how young one was at the time, osso. And how utterly terrified of the hell & damnation that would automatically result, should one not follow instructions to the letter of the (church) law. As a little kid, the Catholic Church filled me with terror. Seriously.
mags314772

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 08:45 pm
@msolga,
Me, too. I fell for it hook, line, and whatchamacallit! I was scared even into young adulthood. Then I "fell away", thus becoming the dreaded "fallen away catholic."
msolga

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 08:49 pm
@mags314772,
You were not alone mags.
I was doubly blighted ... eastern European Catholicism.
Aggggggggggggh!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 08:56 pm
@msolga,
Oh, I was well in the fold of catholicism. Just not so much re scapulas, probably only that they weren't promoted either in my grammar school church/school, or high school - though they were promoted a bit. Maybe it was at the parish church when I was a teen.
0 Replies