Drag Queen wins homecoming competition at George Mason U

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 02:55 pm
What do you think folks? Would you have voted for Ryan, or would that forever flaw the time honored tradition of the homecoming queen? If I was a candidate for homecoming queen, however, I think I might prefer to lose to Ryan than one of the other ladies. Smile

http://images.usatoday.com/Wires2Web/20090221/455184889_Homecoming_Drag_Queenx-large.jpg

Quote:
George Mason picks drag queen as homecoming queen
Posted 2/21/2009

FAIRFAX, Va. (AP) " George Mason University senior Ryan Allen dresses in drag and doesn't mind being called a queen -- homecoming queen, to be exact.
Allen, who is gay and performs in drag at nightclubs in the region, said he entered the homecoming contest as a joke, competing as Reann Ballslee, his drag queen persona.

But he considers the victory one of his happiest moments and proof that the suburban Washington, D.C., school famous for its run to the Final Four a few years back celebrates its diverse student body.

"I was very touched by how Mason was so supportive through the whole process of allowing a boy in a dress to run for homecoming queen," Allen said in a phone interview. "It says a lot about the campus that not only do we have diversity but we celebrate it."

The senior from Virginia's Goochland County won the pageant Saturday at a sold-out Homecoming basketball game against Northeastern University.

Large portions of the crowd cheered as Allen, wearing a gold-sequined top, accepted the tiara and the Ms. Mason 2009 sash.
More. . . .
http://content.usatoday.net/dist/custom/gci/InsidePage.aspx?cId=indystar&sParam=30211105.story
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 2,387 • Replies: 17

djjd62

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 03:20 pm
good for them, and good for her, um, him, ummm Confused

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 03:23 pm
@Foxfyre,
I voted for a transvestite for mayor here, so a drag queen'd be an easy vote.

Awesome for the community there.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 06:04 pm
@Foxfyre,
Sublime and witty riff on what appears from outside to be one of the dumbest traditions ever thunk up.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 06:12 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Sublime and witty riff on what appears from outside to be one of the dumbest traditions ever thunk up.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 07:28 pm
My gay friend won homecoming queen. He was very well liked. Later, the planning committee wrote in rules so that it could not happen again.

I've heard a little buzz about this story out here, but I don't think people really give a damn.

T
K
O
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 08:19 pm
@Foxfyre,
I remember checking out George Mason's house (closed at the time, we just walked around). Have no clue about the university except that now I've a positive item to connect to it.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 03:18 am
Hung out with a girl from GMU tonight... This story is so important that she wasn't even aware it happened...

T
K
O
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 03:37 am
I don't think that the winner understands that he was not being honored, that he was the butt of a joke......GMU's very own William Hung. Homecoming had very little relevance even back when I was a kid in the Seventies and have long been empty, but so long as they continue past their expiration date the exercise can sometimes be good for a laugh.
Diest TKO

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 06:38 am
@hawkeye10,
Let them laugh then. The drag queen still gets the crown and the last laugh.

My school had a gay homecoming queen in drag. He wasn't the butt of any joke, he was a well respected and extremely active student on campus.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 12:25 pm
@Foxfyre,
Go Ryan!

Kudos to the students who voted for him -- and, most of all, to Ryan for competing in the first place.
Green Witch

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 02:44 pm
I shared a sublet with a T'v once. S/he taught me there is no excuse for an ugly woman. To this day I apply cosmetics the way s/he taught me.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 07:34 pm
One more point to enumerate why the U.S.A. is not the "bad" country some people think it is.
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 07:36 pm
@Foofie,
Yes, Foofie, and thank you. Evenmoreso when you consider that George Mason University is branded 'conservative' by Sourcewatch. Accordingly, some might think that it would therefore be narrow minded, judgmental, homophobic, yadda yadda, none of which typifies modern American conservatism these days.
Thomas

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 07:58 pm
@Foxfyre,
Some might think that. Or they might not. That's the beauty of the word "might".
Foofie

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 08:14 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Some might think that. Or they might not. That's the beauty of the word "might".

English does not have a subjunctive tense like Spanish, for example. So?

By restating the obvious have you given us an epiphany?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 08:41 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

"some people say"
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 12:41 am
@Thomas,
He's one cool queen.
0 Replies