techies there.... DD, Robert, Nick...please

Izzie

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 06:18 pm
Laptop crash (again)

this time it won't start up

had run all spyware programs and norton 360 (which came up with a Trojan something) and said to download to hard drive manually - before I had read it.......... it died.

can start up (occasionally) in safemode - have restored..... it restarts but crashes immediately (seconds)

it then starts up and goes to main screen oaccasionally for me to sign in password..... then dies

when I'm in safe mode and networking it doesn't allow internet access... so i can't get online to run norton etc again and other security progs I have...

will not start in "normal mode" - at all

have run chkdsk
have run restore point
have run everything I can think of

it's "start up" that is the problem - going onto IE - it never gets as far as calling up msn/IE/or A2K - the blue talking computers at the bottom left show for a few secs then.... dead.

in safe mode i can open progs like picasa etc....doesn't appear to be them - have tried for hours to check all my programs.

Windows did an auto update today... appeared to be fine... then tonite - nada. May not be related.

Running Vista with IE7. Vista will now allow me to do SP2 update.

it's something internet related, I'm sure

am on a PC now which take hours to run and is likely to be miserable too

ANY ADVICE GUYS AND GALS

or is it back to the shop.

so p'd off! just so darn upset right now! PLEASE GUYS!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,659 • Replies: 18
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 09:33 pm
@Izzie,
If you have access to another PC with a CD burner: Go to the manufacturer's website, download all of the most recent drivers for your laptop and install them. Do NOT install firmware updates.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 10:01 pm
@Izzie,
Please be more specific than it "died" as the manner in which it does so any any messages it gives can tell us a lot about what is causing it.

For example, if it were to shut down with this message, it would likely be the virus I am writing up in that thread.

Anywho, have you tried safemode with networking? It should be one of your safemode startup options, and as long as it remains stable with the network connection you can then run patches, scans etc. Give that a try and if it doesn't work try to be very specific about what's happening (with the message text etc) and I'll try to help from there.
Izzie

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 05:19 am
@Robert Gentel,
Hi guys...

OK... Will try and be more specific.

There is no warning whatsoever - no message text at all. I can be in the middle of doing something - A2K, picasa, I usually have around 5 or 6 programs running at the same time) - and the lights go out - no warnings, no messages - just like a power failure. This happens all the time. I thought it was overheating. So bought a cooler to go underneath. This seemed to stop the crashing "dying" for a couple weeks - but it's started up again. I was told by an HP techie - static - remove the battery and power lead etc - and, it started up, then shut off again. Literally like flicking a switch. It doesn't close down, it shuts off completely.

This morning - I am able to turn it on - starts up normally without being in safe mode (complete normal start up). Laptop has been off for 10 hours having "shut off" - now... working normally - until it shuts off again - which will be tonite... or maybe in 5 mins - no telling. NOTHING I did last would get it to start up - even once it was in safe mode - it would then just switch off.

I have Norton 360 auto daily updates.
I have Iobit Sys Adv Care Pro (paid) which scans all the time the laptop is running.

This morning, after startup, I got this message from Norton 360
"autoprotect experienced unpexpected error 10019,6 on restart after installing Norton 360 2.0. Run Live Update, Start Norton 360 etc..." and a load of instructions which I can carrying out now.

I didn't get this msg yesterday - I'm not sure if that has happened because I did a restore point of 16 Feb 09 and therefore any updates would have been restored to previous updates. I'm backing up my files onto Norton Online Storage (2GB) and have about 230GB of other files stored onto two separate hard drives (only files, mainly photos - not software)

In safemode I could not get internet access
In safemode with networking I could see I had wireless BB connection - showed the hub, said I was connected - but could NOT get onto any sites, or run any scans at all - not Norton or AdvSysCarePro.

There is no one thing that set this off - it just keeps happening. Could it simply be overheating (it is on a lot - but then so are most peoples computers)

My last laptop did the same - also HPDV?? - the motherboard was replaced, sent back - no-one at the shop could get it to start up when I went to collect it. They gave me a new one on September 29 - this is doing the same thing.

Izzie

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 05:25 am
@Izzie,
OK - sent that bit just in case. The other thing it does. Before it switches off - you can hear it whirr loudly. During the day - the whirr (fan noise I imagine - or is it) speeds up, slows down. Laptop always crashes after a bir "whirr". It's not a quiet laptop - it constantly whirrs quietly - then will whirr loudly - then quiet.

That could be normal. I don't know anyone else with a laptop tho I don't recall the ex-hubs laptop doing that. His was on 24/7 (cost about £8K) business one - it was only switched off twice a week - when he travelled to London - sometimes it could be on for 2-3 weeks straight and didn't have a problem.

Could mine really be overheating with a cooler underneath.

oh... drivers etc... I have an automatic HP update and health check. The last one happened on 15 Feb.... have all the most recent drivers etc.

Have run the Iobit scan this morning.... everything is fixed, no viruses, all registry fixes done, junk files removes - says all has been taken care of - this happens throughout the day. Still working thru the Norton instructions at the moment and backing up again.
Izzie

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 05:32 am
@Izzie,
Have run the Iobit scan this morning.... everything is fixed, no viruses, all registry fixes done, no spyware etc, junk files removed - says all has been taken care of and no problems - this happens throughout the day automatically. Still working thru the Norton instructions at the moment and backing up again.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 10:42 am
@Izzie,
Izzie wrote:
There is no one thing that set this off - it just keeps happening. Could it simply be overheating (it is on a lot - but then so are most peoples computers)

It could be hardware, but if it never crashes in safemode I think it's likely that it's a software problem.

Here's what I'd do first:

I'd enter safemode, and uninstall and reinstall norton and scan the whole computer (in safemode).

Do you have access to another computer that's not affected? You may need to download some utilities in order to fix this.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 10:46 am
@Izzie,
Izzie wrote:
OK - sent that bit just in case. The other thing it does. Before it switches off - you can hear it whirr loudly. During the day - the whirr (fan noise I imagine - or is it) speeds up, slows down. Laptop always crashes after a bir "whirr". It's not a quiet laptop - it constantly whirrs quietly - then will whirr loudly - then quiet.

Well that could be overheating, or it could just be doing something resource intensive before it crashes.

Here's a program that lets you monitor temperature and fan speed: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Have a look, but do note that different processors work at very different temperatures, and you'd have to let me know what exact processor it is if you want me to tell you if it's running hot.

Quote:
Could mine really be overheating with a cooler underneath.

Yes, the coolers alone won't prevent all overheating. Your internal fan may be broken.

Quote:
oh... drivers etc... I have an automatic HP update and health check. The last one happened on 15 Feb.... have all the most recent drivers etc.

Unless you changed the drivers or some of the hardware yourself recently this is very unlikely to be the problem.
Izzie

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 05:55 pm
@Robert Gentel,
First up " thanku Robert.

Second...
UNBELIEVABLOODYBLE " I am going insane with this!

So frustrating " everything was working fine for a while " started up this morning no problem (how, how does that happen) " then... it all goes off again and could switch itself off again any minute. Driving me nuts!

Have Downloaded and run the Trojan.Brisv.A!inf Removal Tool from Norton " tho everything said I had nothing wrong an alert did come up the other day and then, whether or not coincidentally, the laptop shut off! So have done it anyway " in safe mode, restore point disabled, internet disconnected.... etc.... did it all " said it found the virus " it then removed it. Laptop then crashed. Would not start up for about an hour or so...... then start up and into startup repair.

This came back:

Startup repair cannot repair this cpu automatically
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
Problem signature 1 " Autofailover
Problem signature 2 " 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6000.16386
Problem signature 3 " 2
Problem signature 4 " 65537
Problem signature 5 " unknown
Problem signature 6 " no root cause
Problem signature 7 " 0
Problem signature 8 " 2
Problem signature 9 " WrpRepair
Problem signature 10 " 2
OS version " 6.0.6000.2.0.0.2561
Locale ID " 1033

(I don’t understand any of this stuff)

Diagnose and repair details

It detailed all the sessions as completed successfully except:

Root cause found
Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused problem
Repair Action: system files integrity check and repair
Result " failed
Error Code = 0 x 2
Time taken 3999518ms

Tried to go into the advanced bit....it won’t allow me " says “system recovery " administrator " your account has been disabled. See your system administrator” <that being moi>

Then: do I want to restart " yes " and it started up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don’t get it. Scared that it’s gonna crash again and I can’t do anything about it. Dammit.

Anywho: when it was working a little earlier on...
I installed the temp software " brill " thanku... this is what it says:

Address $50 appears to be WRITE ONLY...
Found Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz
End of detection

When I start a program like Picasa the GPU goes up to 60 deg with 3 flame signs beside

GPU 60
Core 0.66
Core 1.63

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/IzzieLzzie/temp1.jpg

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/IzzieLzzie/temp3.jpg

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/IzzieLzzie/temp4.jpg

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/IzzieLzzie/temp5.jpg

At 60deg msg reads
I/O properly closed
Ready for suspend!
APMRESUME message received
Resuming from suspend...

Not sure what any of this means " whether it’s normal or not.

At the moment , after the fiasco of the last couple hours, with the cooler underneath and not whirring REALLY LOUD, only loudish - running at 62C , 0.59 and 1.6.

Whaddya reckon " time to chuck it thru the window and into the river! It’s doing my head in. I haven’t had the chance to un and reinstall Norton 360 yet " I have run a quick Norton scan again and the Iobit " what I don’t understand is that if I had that Trojanb*stid thing there " why didn’t it get stopped??????????????????????? What’s the point of antivirus if it doesn’t stop the viruses??? The corrupted file was music file. The Iobit I use is the paid version which does a deep scan " yet it didn’t detect anything. Is this a new virus?

There is a Norton Diagnostic report but I’m not sure whether I should post it on here as there’s a lot of information there??? Should I still go ahead and reinstall Norton?

Been doing this for many hours now " infuriating.

Thanks for the help. Appreciate it.

Oh, one other thing. When I go into hotmail now - it comes up saying I am secured - then to get into hotmail (email) I have to agree to be over an unsecured setting where information can be seen. Whats that about? never had that before - I thought all email was secure.

Hope all that makes some sense.

(sorry, lots of questions here - yes, have access to a verra old PC whose hamsters spin exceedingly slow but I can get on the internet with it at a push - slight prob with feet at the moment sitting down in a chair tho)
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:16 pm
Do you have a repair disc or install media for Windows? At this point, I think the easiest thing for you to do is try to repair the Windows installation from CD.

First of all, if you have your external hard drive (or any external usb drives) unplug them and try system restore again (go back as far as you can). If that is not an option try using the repair disc and booting off it so that you can repair your windows installation.

And if that doesn't work, I'd suspect it's a hardware problem (hard to tell remotely).
Izzie

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:21 pm
@Robert Gentel,
errrrrrrm.... nope, no installation disk - it all came preinstalled.

there is an HP_RECOVERY (D) Drive which is internal - I have no idea how to access it or what to do with it tho - I guess I need to search around a?

Will doing that delete or hurt any of my photos/documents etc? Will it remove all the software I have on here?
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:40 pm
@Izzie,
Izzie wrote:
there is an HP_RECOVERY (D) Drive which is internal - I have no idea how to access it or what to do with it tho - I guess I need to search around a?

You may find it in your start menu as HP Recovery Manager, or you may be able to get to it by pressing F10 repeatedly as it's booting.

Quote:
Will doing that delete or hurt any of my photos/documents etc? Will it remove all the software I have on here?

If I recall correctly, there are options for a destructive restore as well as a non-destructive one. You should, of course, give the non-destructive one a try first.
Izzie

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:51 pm
@Robert Gentel,
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh crap

I've just read up on it. The HP recovery just reinstalls the factory software like Adobe etc.... not Windows

the full system recovery wipes out the lot and takes it back to the factory settings leaving me with nothing personal and having to start from scratch AGAIN.

This laptop isn't even 5 months old, the last one was 12 months old... that just can't be right, can it?

I had so many problems trying to get itunes redone and reauthorised, Norton redone - bloody hell! Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad and then putting everything back on.

Thanks for your help in trying to fix it Robert - do really appreciate it.

edit: what did you make of the temp readings... did they seem right?

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 11:40 pm
How many USB devices do you have attached? If you have an external drive, does it have an external power supply?
Izzie

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 05:41 am
@DrewDad,
hey DD

I have the cooler attached in a USB port which has no external power source.

I use two WD Portable Hard Drives - one 250GB add t'other 320GB (no external power source)

Neither are attached except for backing up - plug into the USB, back up and unplug. Both full (one I started wiping last nite). I don't back up using the HP backup as for some reason this never works correctly - it goes through the whole process (hours) and then comes up at the end saying it hasn't been able to complete it. So, I back up the files from my user name (copy and paste the whole folder - 75GB)

Spent last nite trying to clear old stuff off from the external hard drives(makes me verra nervous) and now backing up (which takes hours).

My laptop (HP Pavilion DV6700 Notebook PC, 3RAM with VISTA OS) has C drive has 221GB with 107 free space. The D drive has 11.7GB used with 1.72GB free space. I am trying to get rid of software I don't use (but then I look at it and think, well, I do use that occasionally)

I am so loathed to wipe it to scratch.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 08:13 am
Some of our engineers encountered a problem with their laptops (Lenovo Thinkpads) shutting down when they were being inserted into docking stations. Turned out to be electrical in nature; they had to discharge any static electricity before docking.

Also, have you tried reseating your memory sticks? Memory sticks are subject to thermal creep; I've had to reseat laptop memory in spite of retaining clips, before.
Izzie

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 04:15 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

they had to discharge any static electricity before docking.

Also, have you tried reseating your memory sticks? Memory sticks are subject to thermal creep; I've had to reseat laptop memory in spite of retaining clips, before.

Hey DD - mmmmmmm..... I wish I knew what that meant.... reseating memory sticks??????????? Please can you explain in lay terms (blonde ya know!)

Another interesting little thing going on - a window keeps popping up every so often saying something like "synaptics pointing device has stopped working".... whatever that is, I just say OK. AND the CD drive E just opens itself up.... all of sudden, laptop can be running but sitting on the table (I'm nowhere near it) and the CD drive shoots out. WEIRD. There is a poltergeist or hamster spinning some weird wheels in this laptop.

I have managed to back up all my pics etc onto the external hard drive - tho I do want to do another back up on the other one just in case. Just, really don't want to wipe this in case I screw something up - and right now with my circumstances - I just cannot be without my laptop. AAAArgh!

Thanku for your help.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 04:51 pm
Memory stick = RAM
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 04:52 pm
@Izzie,
Izzie wrote:
.... all of sudden, laptop can be running but sitting on the table (I'm nowhere near it) and the CD drive shoots out. WEIRD. There is a poltergeist or hamster spinning some weird wheels in this laptop.

Dammit, Robert, you told me that you wouldn't misuse that Active-X control I gave you.
0 Replies