This is so wrong

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 03:19 pm
WASHINGTON " Defense and congressional officials say President Barack Obama has approved an increase in U.S. forces for the flagging war in Afghanistan. The Obama administration is expected to announce on Tuesday or Wednesday that it will send one additional Army brigade and an unknown number of Marines to Afghanistan this spring. One official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the total is about 17,000 troops.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 3,902 • Replies: 66

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 04:01 pm
@dyslexia,
Obama has never been Kucinich, as you know. And this move points to the heart of my discomfort with him, me an Obama voter. This is going further past our long time area-foot dipping in molasses (oh, let's support the mujahadeen) to well above the knees.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 04:06 pm
I voted for Obama. He was not my first choice, but next to the Republicans he looked pretty good. So far, he has been a disappointment in Afghanistan.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 05:15 pm
If the U.S. troops were going to be anywhere, it should have been Afghanistan rather than Iraq in the first place.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 06:12 pm
@Intrepid,
Well, certainly not Iraq, I'll agree on that.

Oh, wait.. kuwait. Snort.

Cutting to the short hairs, I've watched my country, overt or covert, make many moves that may or may not have worked out at the time based on a compilation of principle, viewable as dubious.

I agree we need a good defense, but maybe not so much if we weren't such non principled asses.

I think Obama means well, but is a lamb, however sturdy, facing many wolves.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 06:14 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm not sure if Obama is a genuine resolver trying not to be a lamb (my present take), or a worker of middle of road.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 06:28 pm
@ossobuco,
To my post on kuwait. I have relative in the first in last out folks re gulf I. I do care. He did well. I see him as used.

Meanwhile, all sorts of atrocities happened elsewhere.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 06:30 pm
Obama laid claim to Afghanistan during his campaign against McCain/Bush

It's his tarbaby because he wanted to decry Iraq but still seem butch somewhere else - Afghanistan.

So the test now is how each of these countries come out of US occupation/involvement.

Right now it looks like Iraq is well ahead of Afghanistan and the argument that we should have been in Afghanistan rather than Iraq is a non-sequitor is Iraq emerges as a stable democrasy.

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 07:25 pm
@Intrepid,
Agree with you totally, Intrepid. Generally I'm in agreement with dys and edgar but not on this one. If anything, I don't think Obama is sending in enough troops to back up the ones already there. One brigade? That's paltry. Take them out of Iraq, where we don't belong, and concentrate on securing Afghanistan against the Taliban and alQaeda, the perpetrators of 9/11. We have a legitimate stake there. And put a little scare into the Pakistanis while we're at it.
djjd62

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 07:45 pm
@Merry Andrew,
once again, nothing to add but, damn straight, never should have left and gone to iraq in the first place
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 07:49 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Dys and Edgar and I'm skipped. Waves hand.

"We have a legitimate stake there", and could scare pakistanis?
Christ.

Translated, as, you're kidding.

0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 07:52 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I don't really think the US is willing to accept another Vietnam.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 07:57 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

I hope they are not.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 08:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
I see it, sure.

No one in charge seems to be reconsidering.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 08:06 pm
@Merry Andrew,
They can join the Canadians who have been in Afghanistan all along.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 08:10 pm
@dyslexia,
Too little, likely too late.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 08:21 pm
@ehBeth,
Well, I'm glum.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 09:21 pm
U.S. President Barack Obama has told Peter Mansbridge of CBC News that he hopes plans for beefing up the U.S. military presence in Afghanistan will be coming "very soon." Obama added that when he visits Canada this Thursday, he will discuss with Prime Minister Stephen Harper "the importance of a comprehensive strategy that people of both countries can support" when it comes to the future military operations in Afghanistan. Canada is scheduled to pull its troops out of the country in 2011.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 11:54 pm
@Intrepid,
Burble.
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:56 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:

I don't think the analogy with Vietnam is valid, dys. The one and only point of resemblance that I can see is that in both cases the US was helping to shore up a not too popular, repressive government. But in 'Nam, the VC had the support of a large segment of the people; the Taliban do not have this support in Afghanistan. The Taliban was hated and feared by the majority of Afghans when it was in power; it is hated and feared today. The problem in Vietnam was strictly a Vienamese affair; we had no business interfereing in what was, esentially, a power struggle between two factions of Vietnamese. Al Qaeda, on the other hand, is a global movement, allied with the Taliban. I don't recall that the Viet Cong ever perpetrated acts of terrorism on US soil.

And I don't think that our actions in Afghanistan need echo those in Vietnam. This does not have to be a case of continuing "escalation." I'm willing to concede I could be wrong on this analysis, but that's my feeling at the moment.