odd paragraph

kev

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 09:59 am
This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it? It looks so plain you would think nothing was wrong with it! In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is unusual though. Study it, and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out! Try to do so without any coaching!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,099 • Replies: 7
No top replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 10:18 am
It might be tough for cryptographers since it has no "e's".
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 11:33 am
That didn't take long flyboy.
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 01:09 pm
cf: George Perec's The Void... a book in which the letter e occurs only in the title. Amazing enough... but consider the challenge to the English translator.
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 01:12 pm
a sample and a favorite passage of many readers:

Noon rings out. A wasp, making an ominous sound, a sound akin to a klaxon or a tocsin, flits about. Augustus, who has had a bad night, sits up blinking and purblind. Oh what was that word (is his thought) that ran through my brain all night, that idiotic word that, hard as I'd try to pun it down, was always just an inch or two out of my grasp - fowl or foul or Vow or Voyal? - a word which, by association, brought into play an incongruous mass and magma of nouns, idioms, slogans and sayings, a confusing, amorphous outpouring which I sought in vain to control or turn off but which wound around my mind a whirlwind of a cord, a whiplash of a cord, a cord that would split again and again, would knit again and again, of words without communication or any possibility of combination, words without pronunciation, signification or transcription but out of which, notwithstanding, was brought forth a flux, a continuous, compact and lucid flow: an intuition, a vacillating frisson of illumination as if caught in a flash of lightning or in a mist abruptly rising to unshroud an obvious sign - but a sign, alas, that would last an instant only to vanish for good.
0 Replies

Texan

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 02:47 pm
Kev, punctuation is what is wrong, but it is not unusual on this forum. I find a "?" mark and a "," that is incorrect.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 02:55 pm
Tex, I find this all the time, and what worries me is that because of the internet's sloppy English I'm getting like that too.

The English language is doomed.
0 Replies

Texan

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 06:33 am
Kev, I don't know how it is in England, but it is terrible in the US. Sometimes I hear people talking and I don't have a clue as to what the subject is. What is so sad to me is that I don't think it will ever get better.
0 Replies