No Sound

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 08:37 am
My computer suddenly went mute. I've checked everything I can think of to see if there is a problem, including going through the Windows help diagnostic features. I also purchased another set of speakers to see if that was a problem. Nope, nothing from them either.

Any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 642 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 09:50 am
@Magginkat,
corrupted or missing Audio drivers (check in control panel to see if you have an yellow & black exclamation point in your list of hardware audio drivers)

bad sound card
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 10:39 am
Have you right-clicked the little audio icon (looks kinda like a naked speaker, not in a speaker cabinet) in the toolbar, and checked the volume or whether it's muted? On my computer, it sometimes decides for itself it's gonna go down to zero volume. and it's perplexing until I remember it has a mind of its own.
Magginkat

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 08:30 am
@MontereyJack,
Yes, did that. Also updated drivers. I've come to the conclusion that I have a bad sound card. Phooey!

By the way I have had my computer do the same as you describe. It seems to have a mind of it's own and unexplainedly mutes the sound but that's not the case this time.

Oh well..... I intend to build my next computer so at least I know where the different parts are located. I consulted with a friend who does cheap house calls so I should have it fixed in short order.

Thanks for your response.
Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 08:42 am
@Magginkat,
you're welcome.

good luck.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 06:23 pm
@Magginkat,
so....did it get fixed yet? What was it?
Magginkat

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 06:02 pm
@Ragman,
Yep, it's fixed......... it was the sound card. I must admit that I am amazed at the difference a sound card can make. I have a friend who builds computers & repairs a few for friends. He installed a 'sound blaster' card & when we turned the computer back on I almost jumped off my chair. Not only is it louder but the sound is just all around better than with the one that came installed on the computer. It must be one fantastic sound card since I am half deaf and often have problems distinguishing one sound from another! Smile

0 Replies