Do Laptops make you dizzy?

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 02:32 pm
I got a new laptop last week and feel quesy after I'm on for a while.

Is it the screen? It seems too bright, too
(or am i crazy)??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,942 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Mame

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 02:34 pm
you're crazy and it's "queasy"
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 03:16 pm
Ive known several other people whod said this and , when they had their laptops checked, there was an almost imerceptable 60cycle vibration of the screen. It almost like a flickering from a flourescent bulb. The vibration may be due to a bad transformer thats not fully converting to DC. See whether you can sub a nother transformer (the one on the power cord)
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 03:21 pm
If the new laptop is the only one that makes you feel this way... you should return it and try a new one.

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 03:59 pm
@sullyfish6,
Firstly, any monitor's brightness is controllable by you, the consumer. If you want to turn the brightness down it's either can done from a Function Key (F some number) via setting it at your keyboard or look in your user manual.

Be awawe that you probably won't get a queazy feeling due to too much brightness. Most likely you have a problem from some sort of flicker from the display. If the effect you're getting is a slow-ish wavy rippling that ripples vertically and it's making you seasick, that is A/C "hum" leaking from a bad power supply filter. However, another type of visual problem is 'flicker'.

One thing that could be checked is the monitor refresh frequency rate. Setting too low and it could cause a visual problem. The video card controls the refresh rate of the display. If it's too low...say below 60 cycles (rare), it could be a little offputting. 72HZ is a better rate (but I digress):

To change your display settings

Open Display Properties in Control Panel.

Click the Settings tab.

If you are using multiple display support, click the icon for the monitor whose settings you want to change.

If you are not in safe mode, try each of the following steps. (In safe mode, these settings are already set to minimum values.)

In Color quality, click a lower setting.

Reduce the size of your desktop by moving the Screen Resolution slider to the left.

Click Advanced, and check the Adapter and Monitor tabs for a Refresh Frequency setting. If this setting is available, change to a loweror higher refresh rate or use the default setting for the adapter.

After you make your changes, or to accept the safe mode settings, click OK.

Restart your computer if you are prompted to do so. Do not select Safe Mode.

My final advice if none of this make you feel comfy doing...is to bring the laptop back where you bought it..and either try to get an exchange it or have them adjust the probem out.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 04:09 pm
continued instructions

Note

To open Display Properties, click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 06:50 pm
Thank you, Ragman.

Another thing I needed to do was get it on stable support (i.e. not on my lap!)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 07:18 pm
Somewhat off track, but I recall getting screen flicker every time I tried to use a computer after having my eyes dialated for eye exams.

Okay, way off track, but it's true.
0 Replies