The energy expended in "religious debates".

twyvel

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 02:00 pm
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 02:14 pm
Lightwizard

It's not only trying to face up to one's ego, (I think "ego" means more then id in this sense).

It's facing up to the reality that the ego/body is not you.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 02:19 pm
Sounds like Dianetics in reverse.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 04:08 pm
truth
LW, Shocked
Of course the ego we are discussing is not the same (although there may be some overlap) as that in analytic psychology. Not ego vs. id and superego. This is ego vs. everything else..
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 04:22 pm
truth
Twyvel, Cool
LW, Dianetics? Wash your mouth. Shocked
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 04:44 pm
I can understand why people come to these religious/spirituality threads to discuss spirituality. But, why would anyone want to discuss religion? Except, possibly, to support our right to disbelief, as edgarblythe said?

Spirituality is an intriguing subject, yet most here don't discuss spiritual experiences of their own. So, this is probably the reason I stay away from these subjects, now. Not one iota have I changed my thinking on these subjects by reading A2K or Abuzz posts.

The last experience I had with religion is the president at a public political meeting saying a "prayer" prior to opening such meeting. All anyone can do is "pray" for what they can get out of a thing, hoping the adversary will lose.

I'm finished with this subject, right now, today. Yeah.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 11:55 pm
Tex-Star

Good distinction...Spirituality vs Religion.

As an atheist I still feel I have experienced moments of "spirituality" or "enlightenment" but they don't involve concepts of a deity..nor a compulsion to restructure either my life or those of others. This is where I depart from ideas like the Buddhist seven-fold path of "right action", "right thought" etc.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 10:56 am
truth
Fresco, I agree. But I like to think of the buddhist "paths" as prescriptions for nutritional behavior, not as judaic-christian style moral mandates. But I also do not concern myself much with thinking about them. I trust that common sense will do that trick. See you all in a week.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 11:50 am
Whether technically a religion or not, Dianetics is decidedly a non-spiritual way of dealing with the ego. L. Ron Hubbard is their Buddha.

As much as egos are often displayed in this and the political forum, I don't think we have to worry about them being undefined.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 12:49 pm
Mr. Wizard, Didn't L.Ron Hubbard simply create this "religion" as a sorta' joke? Then it took off.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 04:55 pm
Not actually -- Scientology was introduced in a series on editorials by John W. Campbell (a Manhattan Project scientist also) in the old Astounding Science Fiction in the 1950's as a viable plan for individual happiness. It was offered quite seriously and then grew from there. In registering itself as a religion, of course, takes advantage of the tax exemption.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 05:12 pm
Well, just discovered a new word tonight. It's called religiosity. Shocked
It seems that George W. Bush is selling born againism to people who have problems with drugs, etc. He'll allow us to pay if THEY are born again. Hey, maybe he ain't so dumb after all. Razz

Goodnight from the East coast of the peninsula.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:42 pm
Quote:
religiosity
third time for me in about 7 days - go figure.
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:47 pm
People sure do flatter George Bush. He thinks "religion" pulled him up out of hell. But, religion is only a word. He could have studied under a Budhist monk, a 12-step program, or Scientology and accomplished the same, without listening to the ego telling him to convert everybody else.

George is just another bloke who needs to take that group that follows AA, (al-anon?)which would've saved him from becomeing one of those boring dopes who try to "save" everyone else. Lotsa those in this nek of the woods.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 10:03 pm
Oh no I thinking this thread is getting a politicalosity infection.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 10:19 pm
Politicalosity? That's politicalousness, I believe.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 01:32 pm
There is the benign definition of "religiosity" and then the rather negative meaning of the word:

re·lig·i·os·i·ty n. 1. The quality of being religious. 2. Excessive or affected piety.

So it depends on the context.

As to the two versions of political, I couldn't find either one in the Comet New American Dictionary.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 01:34 pm
Don't knock AA, Tex-Star, 'cause it does save about 10% of the people that attend meetings -- it doesn't take into account how many curtail or stop drinking without it, however, and doesn't really care. Bush is on a "One Step" program meaning finding Christ is keeping him from drinking but I suspect his "higher power" is really Laura Bush.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 01:36 pm
You might try "politicalization."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 07:28 pm
GWl, I was kidding. I often make words up. Politicallousness (skipped an l the first time...)
amused me as a word.
0 Replies