Baby left alone in a car

Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 04:44 pm
If you saw a baby in a car by itself, would you do anything? What if it is a sunny hot day?

It seems lots of people would just walk away.

http://abcnews.go.com/WhatWouldYouDo/story?id=6482238&page=1

Click on video on right hand side.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 1,950 • Replies: 25
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 04:47 pm
I pulled into a spot at a Rite Aid. As I was getting out of my car, I saw that in the car next to me was a baby in a car seat and a toddler. The toddler was drinking soda from a 2-liter bottle, in the front seat. It wasn't hot or sunny. I stood there for a second. Then I saw a scaggly looking woman come out. I passed her on my way to the front door and turned back - she got in the car.

Last time I told this story here I got a heap of **** for being judmental.
Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 05:01 pm
@littlek,
This Rite Aid wasn't in Quincy by the way was it?
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 05:09 pm
In Long Branch New Jersey one day...I saw a dog....A DOG...not a baby...in a car with the windows rolled up cracked a quater inch. The day was blistering.

I flagged a cop down.

He said he would go into the local stores near the car to see if he could find the owner.

To me, the dog looked on its last legs...obviously in trouble.

I told the cop point blank...walk away and I am going to put a tire iron through the window of that car.

I thought he would ****!

But just as he started to deal with me on the issue...the owner popped up.

Cop gave her a lot of ****...and I walked away.

People are nuts about this kind of thing. You kill a dog or a baby in minutes in these kinds of situations.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 05:37 pm
@Linkat,
Well, I've ignored crying babies in restaurants before, because I well-remember what it's like to be pinned under a thousand pairs of eyes.

But I would not ignore a kid in a car, provided I was paying enough attention to my surroundings to notice in the first place. Frank's solution sounds about right.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 06:16 pm
@Linkat,
Nope, Somerville.
littlek

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 06:18 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I saw a dog on a wickedly cold day in a car. It had a thick coat, but the sun was going down and I was worried about it. I knocked on the window, it barely raised its head to look at me. I called the cops, described the situation and waited until they told me some one would come. I didn't stay to see what happeend.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 06:35 pm
loved this story

Dog owner put on probation in animal cruelty case

Last Updated: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 | 3:50 PM ET
CBC News

A man who was beaten up after leaving his Rottweiler roasting in a car on a hot summer day has pleaded guilty to animal neglect and been placed on 12 months' probation.

The dog, Cyrus, suffered brain damage and nearly died when left in the car on July 31, 2007, with the windows rolled up.

On Wednesday, after a plea agreement in a Toronto court, owner Paul Soderburgh received a conditional discharge and was put on probation.

He was also ordered to pay more than $3,000 in veterinarian bills and can't own a cat or dog for one year.

The incident gained national attention when Soderburgh was handcuffed to his SUV by a Toronto Humane Society enforcement officer, Tre Smith.

Soderburgh was then attacked by a crowd of people.

Smith said he rushed to save the dog, which had been sealed in the parked vehicle where the temperature exceeded 60 C. Smith smashed the vehicle window to free Cyrus, and with the help of bystanders began rehydrating and cooling the animal.

When Soderburgh returned to his car, Smith handcuffed him to the vehicle and left him alone while the dog was taken away for treatment. It was during that time, the owner alleged, that the angry mob began beating him.

Police arrived later to find the man bleeding and still handcuffed to the vehicle.

Smith was suspended after the incident but was later reinstated. The dog has recovered.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 07:28 pm
I was surprised in that video that neither person insisted she open the car up when the "mother" showed up.

You couldn't tell if the baby sleeping, or dead.

And the reason the woman gave why she got involved, because she has kids and grandkids?

I don't have kids, and I'd have called 911 in an instant. You don't have to be a parent to be an advocate for a child.

Pre cell phones I have acted as the voice for a child when, similar to littlek's story, an almost toddler was sitting in a car, windows open, 10:00pm, while the skanky mother was buying cigarettes in a 7-11. We had words. I don't give a **** who thinks I'm being judgemental, or over reacting when it comes to checking on the welfare of the young, the old, animals, the sick, etc.

When I first got to Texas, I worked as a temp. At one place I could see out the window, and watched a client get out of their car, lock it and come in. It was Ausgust. August in Texas. Then I noticied movement in the car, went out there an a cat was in a pet carrier inside the car. I went back in, walked right into the conference room (it was a title company and the person was there for a closing) I said something like "It's the middle of August and you have a cat locked in your car. If you give me the keys I'll bring it in here."

The first reaction was "oh, it's all right, the cars in the shade." I was by this time getting dirty looks from the title woman.

Anyway, I wouldn't let it go, got the keys and brought the cat in.

Later the title person, who couldn't really yell at me because I wasn't her employee, said she could believe I made such a fuss. I didn't give **** as it was a temp job, so asked her if she'd like to have been locked in a cage inside that car.

Surprisingly, she didn't tell the agency not to send me back. Not like I would have cared.
0 Replies

Xenoche

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 11:27 pm
If a mother is so stupid as to cook her own child in her own car then she is too stupid to be a mother.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 11:29 pm
@Xenoche,
Your powers of insight are incomprehensible.
Xenoche

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 12:02 am
@DrewDad,
Indeedee
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 10:38 am
@littlek,
I guess there are sleazy rite aids all over the place.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 10:43 am
@Xenoche,
Unfortunately you can give birth to a child and be stupid. Too bad there wasn't some way to stop that.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 10:46 am
I guess I was shocked at the beginning of the video when I saw many people that it was obvious noticed there was a baby in the car, but continued walking away.

And I agree - doesn't matter if you are parent or not being a parent doesn't give you greater insight that a hot car will cook a child - cause if so parents wouldn't leave defenseless babies in a hot car.

When first saw this on a commercial - it said what would you do? My first reaction was to break the window of the car. My husband being more reasonable said call 9-1-1.
Bella Dea

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 11:06 am
People were ever less worried about the dog.

I'd call 911, no question. Now, if it were a very hot day and it appeared that 911 would take too long I'd break the car window. You'd have to. Otherwise, you'd stand there and watch the baby die.

I don't leave my kid alone in the car EVER.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 12:44 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I guess I was shocked at the beginning of the video when I saw many people that it was obvious noticed there was a baby in the car, but continued walking away.

And I agree - doesn't matter if you are parent or not being a parent doesn't give you greater insight that a hot car will cook a child - cause if so parents wouldn't leave defenseless babies in a hot car.

When first saw this on a commercial - it said what would you do? My first reaction was to break the window of the car. My husband being more reasonable said call 9-1-1.

oh, yeah, I didn't think that....breaking the window.

I mean I would have thought that after I called 911. In this case, I know that 911 people would have asked me if the baby was breathing.
I then would see, that no, it looked very still.

I know I would have started bagging on the window, and getting no reaction, would have found something to break the back window, or whatever window looked like no flying glass would have harmed the baby.

Likewise, if the baby/child was fussing, yeah, window breaking time.

A girlfriend of mine had her toddler in the car, and got out to literally walk 10 steps to put a letter in a mailbox. She unthinkingly closed the door, at the same time realizing it was in the lock position. She said to her toddler, "jimmy reach over and pull that little knob up" trying to make it seem casual. Jimmy took it to be a game and was fooling around. My friend was trying to keep calm so he would sense it and panic. Then the started getting hot and fussing, forgetting all about the game and the lock. During this time, she had called 911, and was on the line with them. When Jimmy started crying she said to the operator, I'm going to break the window, then she heard the sirens of the EMS.
I think she kept a really cool head.

I just don't know linkat, how people could see there was a baby, and just walk on.

Sometimes it feels like no one wants to do the right thing, and risk not being polite, or pc, or whatever.
Bella Dea

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 01:05 pm
yeah that lady that said "we didn't want to destroy property". Ok...we'd rather wait while the baby dies.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 01:15 pm
California made it illegal to leave small children in the car, at any time of
the year - dto. for dogs in the summertime. Unfortunately, there are still
some mentally challenged ones out there.

I personally would call (and have called) 911, regardless if child or animal.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 01:54 pm
@chai2,
One thing was in the video when the "mother" came back, people would start saying stuff to her and she would say its none of your business. And in another situation when one person after calling 9-1-1 saw the mother come back, she didn't say a word to her - when asked about it, she said it was none of her business.

I wonder if many people feel like that - why get involved its not my kid, dog, etc. None of business if she doesn't take care of it.