Baby left alone in a car

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 01:54 pm
@Bella Dea,
Yeah - my thought too. Who the h*ll cares? Some one that thought more of property than a life.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 02:11 pm
@Linkat,
i cant imagin dying like that btw. good god.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 02:26 pm
@littlek,
I think I told this story on the thread that littlek is referring too -- but when my kid was in preschool, we were hanging out with other kids on the playground after school when one proceeded to have a tantrum. The mom dragged her over to the car and put her in there, windows up and doors locked. (The kid didn't know how to get out or there was some sort of child-proof element, I don't know.)

It was a pretty hot day. The kid was hysterical. I kept an eye on her and I didn't like the look of things. The mom was pointedly avoiding looking at her daughter, instead paying attention to her other kid who was still playing. Time passed. I did NOT like it and started giving the mom looks, like "OK, that's enough now don't you think?" She eventually noticed but just glared at me.

This continued until I couldn't take it any more and confronted her. I forget how it went exactly but it was something like "I totally get that you felt the need to discipline your daughter and I don't wish to interfere in that, but don't you think it's too hot of a day to keep her in a closed-up car for this long?" At the end of it, she huffed and got the kid out. The kid was flushed and did NOT look good but recovered.

The kid now goes to my daughter's school and whenever I see the mom she STILL glares at me. I second-guess in both directions. (Should I have done something sooner? Should I have let it go longer before interfering?)
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 02:49 pm
It's a difficult situation when the mother is right there and deliberately put
the kid in the car as means of punishment. First of all, one never leaves a child
alone when it is in distress - unless you're at home and have better control over the temper tantrum. Mom seems to have done everything wrong, including
jeopardizing her child's health. I get less and less surprised though by some
of the mothers intentions, no matter how old the kids get, but that's another story *sigh*
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 03:19 pm
@sozobe,
Tough one - I think you handled it about the best you could - saying you understand her in a sense, but letting her know it was dangerous.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 03:50 pm
We can all understanding wanting to lock your kid up sometimes....but we don't do it.
That mother was way out of line....and stupid to boot.

I think you did the right thing Soz and let her give you dirty looks all she wants. Idiot. I'm just afraid of what she does to that kid behind closed doors if that is what she does in public.
0 Replies