RETIREMENT_AVOCATION/JOB/WHATEVER

farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 04:36 am
@farmerman,
Ive finished the pre Cambrian /Cambrian (or pC to Ordovician ) sequences. Ive gotta get ready for a short trip to my field site in S America .
farmerman

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 07:01 pm
@farmerman,
Well Im gonna be heading up to the NEw York terminus of the Southern Appalachians Province. The Northern Appalachians begins in a line (called Logans Line) that connects from the Section between the CAtskills and the Adirondack Segment. Im gonna camp out and Ill have my 'berry with me so I can play in th camp. I bought a solar charger so Ill see how that gizmo works.

Ill be around 43N-74W for about 2 days starting Tues
Joeblow

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 11:03 am
@farmerman,
Great - I hope you'll journal here a bit.

Good luck.
farmerman

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 11:19 am
@Joeblow,
If I learn how to uplink and post my geo pix, Ill do some photojournaling also. I owe Thomas some views of some mountains I tried pointing out to him, but which were heavily puttied with fog.
Joeblow

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 05:29 pm
@farmerman,
Would love to see them.
farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 05:34 am
@Joeblow,
Im on my way as soon as I get some bekrass. Ill be stopping at Fort Edward this PM and be field trippin the days in the "big pimple",of the Adirondacks
dadpad

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 06:26 am
Farmerman Rocks A2K!
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 08:12 am
@farmerman,
The big pimple? Oh dear.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 06:16 pm
@farmerman,
Links! Must have links!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 06:31 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I owe Thomas some views of some mountains I tried pointing out to him, but which were heavily puttied with fog.

I still don't believe in those mountains. To anyone who has read Douglas Adams's Last Chance to See -- our drive through Pennsylvania was like the chapter on the Amazon Manatee. Every 10 miles or so, farmerman would point into the fog and say, "this is where Mt Soandso is -- the Appalachian trail can actually be quite scenic here." Yeah, suuuure it can!

Looking forward to your pictures though!
ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 06:37 pm
@farmerman,
Really looking forward to this!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 07:04 pm
@Thomas,
ok

deleting your next post just screwed me up, so I'll put my response here and you can explain it ...

Quote:
Wouldn't it be better to just put on your lederhosen and get out there into the mountains and teach photojournalling onsite?
Thomas

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 07:09 pm
@ehBeth,
Sorry, I meant it to be a PM and discovered I had posted it to the wrong place.

To answer your question: Farmerman is a very enjoyable fellow to hang out with, and I'd love to do it again. But that's his decision.

Your Hamburgian fetish with Bavarian Lederhosen makes me smile, but unfortunately I didn't bring any to America with me. Our visit to the Yuengling Brewery was a nice way to reconnect to my roots though.
farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 08:17 pm
@Thomas,
"Aint nobody goin up in the Hillbilly mountains with Lederhosen, (think DELIVERANCE).
I did get your PM and am now in the motel at Rheinbeck NY. A nifty little town ,a few miles N of Hyde Park, as well as the HQ for the CIA, and S of a neat old time airplane museum. Daniel Pinkwater, and Pete Seeger Live nearby. (I didnt call to alert them that I dropped by-I like Bob Seeger's music rather than Pete's)
SO, Im here looking at all kinds of glacial goobers and rock scratches. Im also intently searching for teachable signs of unweighting of the continental glaciation. Im going to have to rethink my presentation scheme of this POS book. I believe Im going to begin my jorney wrt time rather than place. I think Ill start at the top of the heap and the signs of the 4 Pleistocene glacial epochs.
I do need some help in the setting up, hosting, and posting my digital pictures.

Thomas is a good dude, he just is short on ocular radar skills. Any one could see the mountains hiding behind the fog.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 08:22 pm
@farmerman,
used to be a decent pizza joint in rheinbeck, just over to the new side of town.

I like all the kill places near there...

some rather cool bridges as well iff'n i remember right.
farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 08:55 pm
@Rockhead,
HOW n hell did the CIA ever locate its world HQ in Rheinbeck though? Wink
Rockhead

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 08:58 pm
@farmerman,
i never asked, i thought they would consider it bad form...

pretty country, though.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 09:07 pm
my visits did not involve the CIA as far as i know.

my philosophy towards them guys is let's just leave one another alone...
farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 09:51 pm
@Rockhead,
Culinary
Institute of
America.

world headquarters
Rockhead

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 10:38 pm
@farmerman,
now yer spoilin' it fer the rest of 'em...

lotsa white hats smokin' ciggies when I drove by.

(verra plush campus though)

if i 'member right, it is on the same road, south of the brick oven pizza joint...
0 Replies