Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 10:54 am
Vetting processes need to be tuned up all over the map (remember Sarah?)
When a cabinet nominee is "embarrassed" about failing to report income from speaking and consulting from the very industry hes being asked to reform, thats beyond the pale. This guy must just step aside. IM AN OBAMA SUPPORTER.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 11:22 am
@farmerman,
I'm interested in how he filled out that reputedly long vetting questionaire..
(so am I).
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 11:27 am
@farmerman,
I agree, FM. I'm an Obama supporter, too, but I think he should dump Daschele. I have no sympathy for a guy who "forgets" to pay taxes on a free car and a driver. A driver? Who besides a celebrity has a driver? Democrats are supposed to represent the little guy.
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 11:38 am
It's a rare person who doesn't screw up something sometime, and certainly those with the financial wherewithall and connections to get elected to high office have a lot more exposure to potential screw ups. If Daschle and/or his people had discovered and handled the tax snafu prior to the nomination, I would say no big deal. The fact that it wasn't 'noticed' until after the nomination, however, makes it highly suspect whether or not it was intentional. So I agree. Drop this turkey and get somebody who is above reproach at least in the area he will be expected to have expertise.

Noticing in the paper this morning that it is looking worse and worse for our Governor Bill Richardson who was dropped as the Commerce Secretary nominee due to legal entanglements that probably didn't show up on that vetting questionnaire either. That would be a headache Obama doesn't need for sure. (Nobody will ever make me believe that Richardson withdrew voluntarily either.)

There are many good people to choose from and President Obama doesn't have to select bruised ones. (And I was not an Obama supporter.)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 12:02 pm
@farmerman,
Although it's almost impossible to find a politician with a long experience in public service who is beyond reproach, I agree Daschle should drop out. Some just have a more difficult lock to pick on the closet door, and I do mean skeletons -- if the gay ones haven't been caught doing something indiscreet, they certainly are not coming out of that closet on principal for any position in Washington. Politicians are just like you and me, except they have a talent for getting elected.

It seems lately that the vetting process is a bit too lightweight. The politicians mean I'm suppose to believe they don't have a question regarding taxes? If they lie, that's two strikes.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 12:13 pm
If Daschle is not dropped, will it affect your opinion of Pres. Obama?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 12:27 pm
@farmerman,
Drop him like a hot potato!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 12:32 pm
@farmerman,
I hadn't heard about unreported income from speaking and consulting arraingments. That sounds bad. Depending on circumstances, it is not completely implausible to innocently neglect declaring income for car and driver service. Guy's not up for Secretary of Treasury, fer crying out loud.

I did not vote for Obama, by the way.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 12:48 pm
@roger,
It strikes me that a congressperson in his position would seek out an ethical accountant, if only for self defensive purpose. Of course, an accountant can only work with information given, but I think a good one would be asking pertinent questions. So, this seems sloppy at best, whether by Daschle or the accountant.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 12:49 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I hadn't heard about unreported income from speaking and consulting arraingments. That sounds bad. Depending on circumstances, it is not completely implausible to innocently neglect declaring income for car and driver service. Guy's not up for Secretary of Treasury, fer crying out loud.

You and Foxfyre both make a good point...that this may be relatively harmless.

I suspect not!

And either way...surely there are other candidates that can come to the table with a clean (or cleaner) slate!

He should drop himself...or Obama should do the dropping.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 01:00 pm
@ossobuco,
You know why the accountant crossed the road? He checked his records and saw that's what he did the year before.

Had there been such an item on a prior year's return, you can bet he would have asked. Otherwise, I doubt it would have come up unless Daschle raised the issue. Again, it's possibly an innocent omission. Not a certainty, of course.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 01:03 pm
The main argument for dropping Daschle is that this administration is supposed to represent change, and therefore, it should not be political business as usual. That would seem to imply to me that all of his appointments need to be squeaky clean--and that will be a tough bill to fill . . .
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 01:15 pm
@Setanta,
Probably impossible. That's one of the reasons I added "cleaner" to my "clean" up above.

But since e represents damaged goods...I think the guy out to drop out himself...and save Obama the decision.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
eoe

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 02:00 pm
I am an ardent Obama supporter and I absolutely agree. Daschle should bow out. But for many, that's just asking too much.

Mr. Obama has his work cut out for him here as well. He doesn't want to shut out the old guard completely but the old guard has all kinds of old dog **** on their shoes and in this new administration, we want clean shoes. Again, is that just asking too much???
farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 02:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Good point. When a politician, elected to high office begins to display some ethical tarnish, hes on his way to full scale corrosion in my book. SInce when does "Being a supporter of Obama or McCain" require blinders?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 02:20 pm
@eoe,
Quote:
Again, is that just asking too much???

O boy promised change if only you would elect him... PrezBO is not delivering the real change he promised.

Is anyone really surprised by this?

http://www.athenswater.com/images/PrezBO.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 02:26 pm
@H2O MAN,
Is lying , or falsifying information on one of those govt job forms not a misdemeanor at least , if not a class felony?
Im assuming that the selection process was carried out by Obama and his staffers. They made their picks from information given them. Was Daschle fully forthcoming?
Either way, I think we agree that the man should go back to Congress , where the voters often dont care about ones criminal records or tendencies.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 02:31 pm
@farmerman,
I think I read that the form was sixty pages long..
farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 02:37 pm
@ossobuco,
How bout we clip, paste and send these comments from A2K to Obamas Blackberry?

1. Forums
  2. » DROP DASCHLE
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 07:41:39