You are going out for the evening. If your partner objects to what you are wearing, would you change

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 07:33 am
I confess to not getting the matching thing. Colors? Level of formality?

We sometimes purposely match for Christmas photos that will go to my mother-in-law -- not in going-out situations, though.
eoe

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 07:47 am
I don't think a couple should match as much as compliment one another. My only request is that we look like we're going to the same place.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:30 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
I confess to not getting the matching thing. Colors? Level of formality?

same level of formality, and when we stand next to each other we should not clash. It should look like we kibitzed before we dressed, our dress should convey the message that we are a team.
Eva

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 12:19 am
I really don't care for the matchy-matchy, joined-at-the-hip look for couples. And it wouldn't work for us anyway. We have completely different coloring. Most colors that look good on him make me look ill.
eoe

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 11:44 am
@Eva,
I've got a little story:
A friend of mine attended a casual party with her husband and they wore matching running suits. While many were in jeans, no one was wearing a running suit, let alone a couple in matching suits. They looked so ridiculous, people were kind of snickering as they walked by and the wife realized it immediately and they made a quick getaway. She tried to save face later on, blaming the host for being vague about the dress but I've always believed that although it may have not occurred to her before, in that particular group it hit her like a brick how square and suburban they looked and it embarrassed the crap out of her.

They may have gone to the grocery store in the past wearing those suits but I'll bet after that night, they never wore matching running suits again! Laughing
JLNobody

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 05:54 pm
Would I change? What, my clothes or my partner?
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 03:41 am
@eoe,
Quote:
I've got a little story:
A friend of mine attended a casual party with her husband and they wore matching running suits. While many were in jeans, no one was wearing a running suit, let alone a couple in matching suits. They looked so ridiculous, people were kind of snickering as they walked by and the wife realized it immediately and they made a quick getaway. She tried to save face later on, blaming the host for being vague about the dress but I've always believed that although it may have not occurred to her before, in that particular group it hit her like a brick how square and suburban they looked and it embarrassed the crap out of her.

They may have gone to the grocery store in the past wearing those suits but I'll bet after that night, they never wore matching running suits again

No biggie, I've got a picture of my parents in matching clown outfits.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 08:11 am
@hawkeye10,
Still don't get it but thanks for the explanation. (Why do clothes need to convey this?)

Love the tracksuit story... heh...
eoe

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 08:19 am
@sozobe,
That's right. They're called track suits.
0 Replies