You are going out for the evening. If your partner objects to what you are wearing, would you change

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 02:57 pm
You are going out for the evening. If your partner objects to what you are wearing, would you change your clothing?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 21 • Views: 3,331 • Replies: 48
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 02:58 pm
no way
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 03:34 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Probably not.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 03:43 pm
I started to say no, but then remembered when I did that once. I showed up for my surprise birthday party in old jeans...completely underdressed. Hubby just shrugged his shoulders and said, "Well, I did try to warn you."
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 03:47 pm
Depends on what the objection is.

"There's a dribble of lunch on your sweater..." (oh! I'll change.)

"Don't you have something that will accentuate your boobs better?" (I'm going out alone... in exactly whatever I have on.)

Bear would not say the latter.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 03:55 pm
He's a smart bear.

To be honest, Hubby usually asks what I'd like for him to wear.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 04:00 pm
I can't imagine him asking me to change but I rework his clothing choices all the time. Very Happy
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 04:04 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I'd consider changing the partner rather than the outfit.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 04:33 pm
depends on the relationship with the partner. say if my wife suggests that my clown shoes might be a bit much at the party we are attending with her colleagues, i would tack to her suggestion, but if this a first date, she's going with Bozo.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 05:04 pm
There are those rare times when I might agree with her if the clothing is inappropriate, such as wearing jeans to a formal. If I decide the clothes are appropriate then I would tell her to go shove her face in a vacuum cleaner.
Sglass

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 05:09 pm
I'm a wimp, I'd go change.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 05:14 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
That's never happened to me.

I agree with Mac11.

Once a fellow wished I woudn't leave the house with wet hair. Eh, it dries in the car. Another wished I'd get my hair done once in a while. (I have had naturally wavy hair, did get my hair done routinely back then.) Neither of those episodes were causes of break ups. But... notice that I remember them all this time later.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 05:19 pm
@NickFun,
NickFun wrote:

If I decide the clothes are appropriate then I would tell her to go shove her face in a vacuum cleaner.

Wow... ever had any second dates? lol
chai2

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 05:22 pm
Sure, why not?

No big deal.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 05:24 pm
@Mame,
Once Wink
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 05:31 pm
My response would be, "Darling, I look dashing in this sombrero, red unitard, and these downhill ski boots. Any further objection from you and I shall go to bed wearing this outfit. Meaning you will not enjoy the privilege of intercourse tonight. Now let's go, or we'll be late for the funeral."
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 05:56 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
When we go out...I almost always ask Nancy's help in selecting an appropiate outfit...so the help is already done.

I am super casual...and could easily be underdressed...so the help really is necessary. And frankly, I don't much care what I wear, so I'd just as soon please her!
eoe

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 06:00 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Now that's a REAL man.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 10:33 pm
Tonight it went like this:

Hubby: What are you wearing to D's birthday party?
Me: Sorta fancy pants outfit...how about you?
Him: I don't know, I was thinking about jeans.
Me: (silence)
15 minutes later...
Me: Y'know, I think jeans would be great if it was at their house, but...
Him: It isn't? Where is it?
Me: The reception hall at the church.
Him: Oh! Well, definitely NOT jeans then. I'd better wear slacks. You think a turtleneck is okay?
Me: (big sigh of relief) Perfect! Wear the black one!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 11:22 pm
@Eva,
Memories.

My husband, but then boyfriend, was from a poor family. I mean poor. Full scholarship, very few clothes, nothing to wear to a wedding but a windbreaker for a jacket, great mind. My parents and I have/had been off and on in deep financial doo doo, but he was afraid of the white part of town,then, and he is white. I'm sure I was a ticket, but tickets can be complicated.

Anyway, I wasn't ashamed of his clothes and he never knocked mine.... and his taste was great once he got going. Plus we both got that taste was a kind of play, that was occasionally useful.

0 Replies