ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 06:37 pm
@Diest TKO,
If/when you go to NY again, Yelp a bit ahead of time - you can get some awesome party invites that way. Last time there, we were invited to a magicians' party in the back room of a club in the East Village as a result of doing some ranking and chatting at Yelp.
Diest TKO

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 01:53 am
Made it back to the hotel. Zero subway mistakes.

Score:
Chi: 4
NYC: 0

T
K
O
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 04:36 am
@ehBeth,
Would someone kindly explain to this old codger what the devil it means to 'yelp'?
Sglass

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 05:11 am
@Merry Andrew,
What did you do the last time someone stepped on your tail?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 09:32 am
@Merry Andrew,
http://www.yelp.com/nyc

"real people. real reviews"

Love the site. I can't imagine going to any major city without Yelping first.

my review of the SIHNYC

me, http://ladypb.yelp.ca/ , I think, if I've done the link right
ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 11:15 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth - I'm going to sign up to Yelp but ..

it asks for your name and password, and not so far your username. Do you remember if you signed with your real name and added ladypb later?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 11:23 am
@ossobuco,
I actually think my "real" name at yelp is eh Beth , which shows up as eh B as everyone's last name seems to just be an initial
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 11:31 am
@ossobuco,
Hah, oh well, I'm there as m'self.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 11:38 am
@ossobuco,
Found ya!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 11:44 am
@ehBeth,
Oy vey!
I wonder how it'll post. My friend Richard was stated to be My Friend with his full name, but on the profile was listed in My Friends as Richard R.
I'm trying to figure out if I care one way or another if my last name shows.
Also, I see I can have a nickname. Wonder if that substitutes for the sign in name.
Ah, well, not your problem. And if I decide I care, I can presumably contact them.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 11:54 am
@ossobuco,
I see in the upper corner of the profile page that I'm logged in as Jo C.
Okey doke.
Plus I see on account info that it will show as Jo C.
What a dummy I am, worrying before I read more.

0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 12:41 pm
@Sglass,
Quote:
What did you do the last time someone stepped on your tail?

I bit her on the ankle.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 03:37 pm
Times square now and then we are off to a comedy show on broadway. Having no plan was pretty easy here. NYC gets points for that.

T
K
O
Thomas

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 05:54 pm
@Diest TKO,
Hi Diest!

I just learned that I missed you -- Sorry about that! Frank Apisa did write me about a meetup on Friday. But I missed the part where he said that the reason for the meetup was your coming over for the weekend. So when they cancelled Friday, I moved on. Actually, I drove to Washington to see an exhibition. Pretty ironic, huh?

Anyway, I hope you had a good trip home, and I hope to see you next time.
Diest TKO

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 06:06 pm
@Thomas,
Yeah. I just got home. The trip was a lot of fun. NYC is crazy dirty. When I got on the DC Metro, I almost kissed the ground.

What exhibit in DC did you go to?

Totally ironic
K
O

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 06:33 pm
@Diest TKO,
I envy both of you - so what exhibit did you see, Thomas?
How was the comedy show, Dtko?
Diest TKO

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 06:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Comedy show was a lot of fun. We sat square in the front. You know, the seats that the comic use to pick on the audience with. It was a lot of fun.

As per comic observations of me I learned...

-I should be a happy half Asian, because I got pretty white people hair.
-There was totally nothing homosexual about the fact that me and my friends had no girls with us.
-That traveling from DC made me a foreigner.

Matt learned his haircut was dorky.

It was a lot of fun and in good sport. Some people couldn't take jokes. One guy was acting tough. Punk. Take a joke. People need to know that before going to a comedy club. Speaking of good humor. They sat a Jewish guy up front next to us on a Sunday and he was wearing his yamaka. That guy must have had a great sense of humor. Poor bastard was like a lightning rod.

I'll definitely go back again. I took care of all the tourist stuff this round. Next time, I'll go with one of my NYC natives so they can show me a better time.

T
K
O
Thomas

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 06:54 pm
@ossobuco,
I saw Robert Frank: "The Americans".

Robert Frank was a Swiss photographer who extensively travelled and photographed the America of the 1950s. (The National Gallery is celebrating the 50th anniversary exhibition of that name.)

According to the prospect, the original exhibition revolutionized the world of photography by shooting all the pictures straight, abstaining from any stylizing and posing. That way the collections shows scenes that you couldn't see in museums before it: Black and white subway passengers shooting each other dirty looks, frustrated and bored-looking young people, homeless people sleeping in the parks, jaded middle class people in cars with finns.

I'll take the catalogues first that this revolutionized photography, though I find it hard. Walker Evans, for example, photographed these kinds of scenes back in the Depression, 20 years before. Edward Hopper had painted them before the fifties, but fair enough. But fair enough. I'm not an expert on the history of photography, and the exhibition had gotten a rave review on NPR, so I went.

The exhibition, as it turned out, was good, but a little disappointing. For one, my expactions were probably too high after hearing NPR promoting it. Another reason for my disappointment is that photographers who came after Frank have perfected this non-glamorous, shoot-it-like-you-it style to a level Frank never did. That makes the Frank pictures look a bit amateurish today, their most impressive feature being the date on the metal plate besides the picture frames.

But the trip was still worth it because of Washington. The area around the Mall is a very impressive piece of park, architecture, exhibitions, and history.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 07:13 pm
@Diest TKO,
I regret I didn't stay longer - for a bunch of reasons, the regret, I mean. Wish I lived closer.

Among the things I'd like to do is walk the city with ehBeth and Frank and JoeN. Ok, JoeN could run ahead.
And of course, I live to meet the Kick (where are my binoculars, no, I mean bifocles.) And now Tomaso is near by. I'd also like to meet Green Witch, if possible. And see Roberta again. Heck, I'd like to meet Roberta at the Met and see it through her eyes.

I remember sitting in the second row at a comedy room on Sunset (LA) and seeing Whoopie, young then, and Kinnison, and being scared they'd go for me...
as I remembered another person, a friend's date, a guy from afghanistan, in the early sixties, being both a good sport and pretty embarrassed at some other show after being brought onstage. Big whew for me, but we've all gotten more "roll with it" since those early days.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 07:15 pm
@Thomas,
Frank got pretty scungy.. for the time.

Anyway, an exhib I'd like to see.

Which reminds me, a place I didn't see in NYC is the ICP, international center for/of photography. Don't know much about it, but I've seen some refs to it that make me interested.