N.S. Woman Admits She Strangled Daughter To Keep Boyfriend

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 06:52 pm
@Setanta,
I hadn't heard of it 'til now.

And while I can't subscribe to the idea that ignorance is bliss, I was certainly happier before I heard of it... sigh...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 06:58 pm
@Setanta,
Oh for christ sake Setanta.

Try reading what I said.

I was not wanting to compare ANY goddam media.

My ACTUAL point was that I think battening upon this sort of thing in the media and constantly reporting about until every last drop of sensationalism is squeezed from it sucks.

Shewolfnm assumed I was speaking about American media, and I said I thought it was pretty universal in the media I access (and, I suspect, elsewhere.)

If you wish to distort that to gain insult from it go ahead, but I will be ignoring any further posts from you that attempt to do so.
Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:06 pm
CBC was created to provide a Canadian oriented news and entertainment radio service at a time when American radio was about all that Canadians had to listen to. So, of course, they took up the same standard when television came along. There are, of course, a great many privately-owned media outlets in Canada. CBC, however, remains for a great many Canadian citizens the only source for radio and television available to them, which is especially true in the remote northern regions, in Nunavut, in the Yukon and in the Northwest Territories. Canada is the second largest country on Earth in terms of land area (after Russia), and is almost 50% larger than Australia, which means it has a lot more territory to cover. So, for much of Canada (in terms of sheer land area), it is the only news outlet in the country. Canada also straddles six time zones, so to allow for news coverage for the entire country, the CBC is likely to repeat a story more than might seem necessary to someone who doesn't consider the implications of Canada's size. When it's six p.m. in Nova Scotia, and time for the evening news, it's just noon in British Columbia and the Yukon. By the time they're having their supper and watching the evening news in BC and the Yukon, it's midnight in Nova Scotia.

I don't find CBC to be terribly sensationalistic--and i do recognized that they have a "mission" to deliver the news to remote populations. I can't, of course, compare it to ABC.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:07 pm
@dlowan,
My initial response was to Wolf Woman, not to you. It was purely your decision to jump into the fray.
0 Replies