Any errors in sentences

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 12:03 pm
The rotor of a self-winding or automatic watch swings with the natural movements of the wearer's body, especially the arms, and winds the spring. Hence, the wearer need not wind it.

Are there any errors in the above sentences?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 920 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 12:36 pm
@tanguatlay,
It probably can be argued that "Hence, the wearer need not wind it." is a sentence fragment.

tanguatlay

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 12:58 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Thanks, Frank.

I wanted to change to 'watch', but I forgot until I saw your reply.

Am I correct to conclude that other than the above ambiguity, the sentence is fine?

Many thanks.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 01:07 pm
It's not an ambiguity. "it" is fine in the last sentence, which is, in fact, a sentence, I think. I think what Frank is talking about is the "Hence" part. I don't think you need to have that be part of another sentence, as in "the motion of the wearer's arm keeps it going, hence the wearer doesn't need to wind it." I think it's fine by itself as a separate sentence. You could also start it with "ergo" or "Therefore", or "So" ("so" actually probably be the most commonly used of those words--if you did use "so" you'd probably make it part of the previous sentence).
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 01:10 pm
@tanguatlay,
Quote:
Am I correct to conclude that other than the above ambiguity, the sentence is fine?

The sentence is fine. I'm sure we can quibble with the style, but there are no actual errors.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 01:23 pm
@tanguatlay,
I think you should just make it into a single sentence. The fragment is not really a sentence...just a clause. Take out the period...substitute a comma, semi colon, or em dash--and change the capital H to a small "h."
McTag

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 03:33 pm
@Frank Apisa,

Respectfully disagree with Frank.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 03:36 pm
@McTag,
No need to be respectful, McTag. Just tell us why you disagree.
McTag

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 03:39 pm
@Frank Apisa,

"The wearer need not wind it" is a sentence. Adding "hence" makes no difference to that, imo.

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 03:41 pm
@McTag,
I wouldn't bet the farm on it...but I think you are wrong.

Respectfully, of course.
0 Replies