I WANT A DOG, JUST LIKE THE DOG . . .

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:38 pm
Cloned beagles

Quote:
Firm hails dog clone breakthrough

A South Korean firm says cloning pets could become cheaper in future thanks to a new technique it has developed.

RNL Bio said it had successfully cloned two puppies from a beagle using stem cells from the dog's fat tissue.

The firm said its new technique had more than doubled the success rate of the current method of cloning.

There has been no independent confirmation of the claim, but South Korea has become a world leader in the lucrative field of cloning pets.

Last year, RNL Bio claimed to have produced the world's first commercially-cloned dog, a pitbull terrier for a woman in the US.

In recent days, a couple in Florida received a puppy cloned in South Korea from their dead pet at a cost of $155,000.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45425000/jpg/_45425783_006799081-1.jpg

Two puppies cloned from a beagle in South Korea on 28/1/09
The cloned puppies are named Magic and Stem

Cloned retreiver

Quote:
Florida couple clones beloved dog for $155,000

Every dog has his day, but Sir Lancelot -- or at least his carbon copy -- has a second one.

A Boca Raton, Florida, couple paid a California firm $155,000 to clone their beloved Labrador retriever, who died from cancer a year ago. The clone, a 10-week-old puppy dubbed Lancey, was hand-delivered to them earlier this week by Lou Hawthorne, chairman of BioArts International, a biotechnology company.

"One minute with Lancey and you know he's special. He's both extremely aware and very sweet," Hawthorne said in a BioArts statement.

Edgar and Nina Otto said they began thinking about cloning Sir Lancelot about five years ago.

"I said 'Well, you know, it wouldn't hurt to have his DNA frozen,' and that's what we did," Nina Otto told CNN affiliate WPBF.

The Ottos were one of five families to bid and win a BioArts auction for a chance to clone their family dog, according to a BioArts statement. Lancey is the world's first commercially cloned dog, the company said; the Ottos are the first of six current clients to receive their clone.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/LIVING/01/29/cloned.dog/art.cloned.dog.02.wpbf.jpg

Edgar and Nina Otto show off 10-week-old Lancey, a clone of "the most human of any dog we've ever had."

So, what do you think, goys and birls?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,918 • Replies: 15

Linkat

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 08:31 pm
A damn waste of money especially considering they could have cared for a great number of dogs that are now being killed in animal shelters.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 08:35 pm
As much as I love puppies, and those puppies are cute puppies, I can't see this as a good use of money.

Cute puppies.

(and I can't rationalize telling other people what to do with their money, but I wish the money was going to help more puppies/dogs/pets)
ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 08:39 pm
@ehBeth,
Much as I loved Pacc, I'm not sure any cloning of him (gadzooks) would have given me replicas of my dog. Dogs as well as humans also undergo life experience, aka nurture.
patiodog

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 09:26 pm
I think it's a great idea, and could be used to produce particularly tasty sub-breeds of dogs...
Chumly

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 11:12 pm
"Firm hails dog......."

A business group of professionals are snowing dogs.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 03:57 am
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:

I think it's a great idea, and could be used to produce particularly tasty sub-breeds of dogs...

Couldn't resist putting the boot in, eh?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 06:40 am
@patiodog,
Dog is a little stringy, but the way the Koreans breed chow puppies for the table, the meat is particularly juicy and has an excellent flavor.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:56 am
@ossobuco,
This was my thoughts too.

Just because the dna is the same doesn't make it the same dog.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 09:24 am
@Setanta,
I want a dog just like the dog
That my dear daddy had

She was a pearl and the only girl
That daddy ever had

Dear old fashioned dog
With eyes so blue

Siberian husky that was always true.

I Want a dog, just like the dog
That my dear daddy had

Nope, don't send in the clones
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 09:35 am
Good work on that song, Miss Letty. You're the only person so far who seems to have tripped to the title.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 04:46 pm
@Setanta,
I got it, just didn't remark, er, bark.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 05:25 pm
I'm sure this is creating jobs...so I'm all for it.
Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 05:27 pm
@maporsche,
If it's creating jobs, it's creating them in Korea.
maporsche

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 05:30 pm
@Setanta,
Eh....it's a world economy....still for it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 05:31 pm
Do you think Mr & Mrs Chirac might be giving some serious thought to a Sumo clone, for the future? Obviously very dear to their hearts. .Wink :

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/01/21/article-0-00712B7A00000258-678_468x286.jpg]

Former French President Chirac hospitalised after mauling by his clinically depressed poodle:
http://able2know.org/topic/128674-1

0 Replies